Scottish Independence

maqroll

Is the date for independence after the next general elections? If so would they still be voting in it?

Currently Yes and Yes

Ensuring Scottish representation on both sides of the negotiating table.

The mess caused by a yes vote will be epic.

Is the date for independence after the next general elections? If so would they still be voting in it?

Currently Yes and Yes

It would plunge the remainder of the UK into a Boris Johnson / Nigel Farage dream team tailspin, eventually leading to a popular uprising that sees the birth of the first truly representative people's republic. 

This republic would burn like a glorious beacon for about 6 months. 

I would be leading the philosophical debate on how people are better off being poor but pure rather than a slave to the decadence of electricity, bread, medicine and clean drinking water. I would post my blog urging the people to stand firm from beside the pool of my Malta condo.

I would be a firm but fair benevolent dictator. 

Currently Yes and Yes

It would plunge the remainder of the UK into a Boris Johnson / Nigel Farage dream team tailspin, eventually leading to a popular uprising that sees the birth of the first truly representative people's republic. 

This republic would burn like a glorious beacon for about 6 months. 

I would be leading the philosophical debate on how people are better off being poor but pure rather than a slave to the decadence of electricity, bread, medicine and clean drinking water. I would post my blog urging the people to stand firm from beside the pool of my Malta condo.

I would be a firm but fair benevolent dictator. 

talking of Boris  .. did you know its possible ( although very very remotely) for him to become both PM here and president of America  ...

As Natalie Imbruglia once sang, "I'm Torn" on this vote, I really am.

On the one had, I can understand why they want to get away from being ruled by a distant, privileged, wealth westminster elite governing in the narrow interests of London and Capital Finance. I can see why they'd want to govern themselves.

But I think economically and politically, it's probably the wrong thing to do.

I think this shouold be a Left Vs Right thing, and not a Scots Vs Westminster thing. As such, the Left is stronger with Scotchland, and Scotchland will be stronger with a United Left in the UK, rather than breaking all ties and sinking, even if it is with good intentions.

It's not even Scots vs. Westminster. It's London and the home counties (how I hate that arrogant term BTW) vs. the rest of the UK.
  • Like 3

Good to see the scots have managed to squeeze in equal opportunities for female golf afficcianado's at St. Andrews before the big vote ends. Another marker of progression for the Secessionists. After 260 years they've concluded women may deign to play with sticks too. Reckon they're ready to govern themselves now :P

Edited by Rodders

It was on 5live when they spoke to a senior individual on the island. I think (after a quick look) it was reference to the 1979 referendum on devolution when the islands votes 73% NO for that one. The largest no percentage of any region in Scotland for that vote.

A 1979 referendum on devolution is deemed to be relevant to how Shetland would react after a yes vote for scottish independence?

That's a little bizarre (that it's a vote 35 years ago on a different - though related - subject).

in situations where there's a minority which considers themselves oppressed by the majority, you very often find distinguishable minorities within that minority who will support the alleged oppressive majority out of the fear that once the minority becomes the new majority, they will oppress the smaller minority.

• Like 1

It'll still be there after all this kerfuffle is over, Jen. Honest.

Oh it's not being set adrift into the north sea then?

Ah, well, er, yes, there is that I s'pose, but only just enough to make a moat to keep the wildlings from marauding us, n' that.

I've checked, and Billy Bragg says a Yes vote would be a good thing; the Daily Mail says that all of the SNP are evil and that a Yes vote would be a disaster.

On that basis, I'm hoping for a Yes.

You're spying up there, aren't you?

• Like 1

One big sticking point for me is certainly that a nation in the progress of detaching itself is then voting in an election for who temporarily governs them and us lot get stuck with.

Having said that, maybe it's a pointless thing for me to personally mention as I don't really give a stuff about any of the big parties.

When I was growing up, at least I knew which party stood. They're all "3rd way" now as far as I can see.

One big sticking point for me is certainly that a nation in the progress of detaching itself is then voting in an election for who temporarily governs them and us lot get stuck with.

Having said that, maybe it's a pointless thing for me to personally mention as I don't really give a stuff about any of the big parties.

When I was growing up, at least I knew which party stood. They're all "3rd way" now as far as I can see.

You think that the war on the poor that the Tories are waging while handing out tax breaks to the rich and selling off any public asset not nailed down, is the third way!!! Seems like normal Tory behavior to me.

• Like 2

You think that the war on the poor that the Tories are waging while handing out tax breaks to the rich and selling off any public asset not nailed down, is the third way!!! Seems like normal Tory behavior to me.

That's true. A tory is a tory. But what I'm saying is the others are no different.

The Royal Mail selloff, an absolute fecking disgrace which most of us knew would be a disgrace was handled by Vince Cable for the most part. Undervalued, selected investors were chosen who were big hedge funds than funnily enough sold them on at a vast, vast windfall.

Brown sold off all the gold and Blair dished out all the original super sweet tax deals to gimps that take our money and then argue that because they employ lots of people in the country they should be left alone. They all make me sick.

Major off-topic mind. To keep it on-topic, no wonder the jocks want out eh!

• Like 2

Â