Scottish Independence

maqroll

On the border crossing, in Ireland it is an EU country to an EU country.

Scotland would potentially be a non-EU state into the EU. So I can't see how in those circumstances, one wouldn't be required.

Can you genuinely see the UK government investing in the infrastructure to build booths on all motorways, A roads and B roads plus monitoring the countryside, building train stops and adding coast guard to the local harbours to stop people popping up or down to see their relatives?

No, there'll be 17 additional customs officers allocated to stop every 20th consignment of dodgy fags or Irn Bru plus regular infomercial articles on the One Show about how we monitor the border.

• Like 1

Scotland would potentially be a non-EU state into the EU. So I can't see how in those circumstances, one wouldn't be required.

UK and Ireland are not in the Schengen Zone, they opted out so the EU to EU thing is irrelevant. You travel from UK to France you get your passport checked in France, coming back you get it checked here. UK and Eire have their own agreement separate from EU

• Like 1

Looks like at this stage of the game the referendum proposal is going to be defeated by a couple of percentage points. Not a comfortable victory but such is the way of referendum campaigns. The timely intervention of Gordon Brown's Devo Max plan to stem the surge of support last week saved the day. Brown to be next Scottish First Minister?

On the Ireland-Norn Iron border, there were custom booths and checkpoints for many decades, but it was still unsurprisingly a porous border.

• Like 1

Looks like at this stage of the game the referendum proposal is going to be defeated by a couple of percentage points. Not a comfortable victory but such is the way of referendum campaigns. The timely intervention of Gordon Brown's Devo Max plan to stem the surge of support last week saved the day. Brown to be next Scottish First Minister?

On the Ireland-Norn Iron border, there were custom booths and checkpoints for many decades, but it was still unsurprisingly a porous border.

Brown is done he has said , did his part for sake of his childrens future but no desire to return to front line politics ...well that's his line tonight anyway.

Brown is done he has said , did his part for sake of his childrens future but no desire to return to front line politics ...well that's his line tonight anyway.

Oh you never know, he might have one eye on a return :)

• Like 2

Is anyone else a little surprised that a higher % isn't required for independence?

If it is 50-50 as it very well might be then it seems sensible to have a re-vote rather than let one side win by a few hundred votes. 

I understand the concept of a referendum but if say 55% was required for independence that would seem to make sense for such a huge change.

Is anyone else a little surprised that a higher % isn't required for independence?

If it is 50-50 as it very well might be then it seems sensible to have a re-vote rather than let one side win by a few hundred votes. 

I understand the concept of a referendum but if say 55% was required for independence that would seem to make sense for such a huge change.

Amazed!

Up there with letting 16 year old vote in the WTF was Cameron thinking when he agreed to it 

Amazed!

Amazed why. If it is say 49.5% to 50.5% then it would be hard to say either side has won. 

That kind of result would indicate a deeply divided nation. I would say in such a situation (say less than 1% difference) would call for a re-vote within 10 years. 

seeing one scot lambasting a small group of no voters "what have the english ever done for fa us" he screams makes me think sod them

after doing a lot of research on this today it seems there is so many black holes its frightening for the scots if they go independent. i cant believe over 40% of the scottish population are stupid enough to vote yes. i wont have any sympathy for any of those fools when it goes tits up if the yes vote wins

Can you genuinely see the UK government investing in the infrastructure to build booths on all motorways, A roads and B roads plus monitoring the countryside, building train stops and adding coast guard to the local harbours to stop people popping up or down to see their relatives?

No, there'll be 17 additional customs officers allocated to stop every 20th consignment of dodgy fags or Irn Bru plus regular infomercial articles on the One Show about how we monitor the border.

Isn't the problem that Scotland would have an open immigration policy ( or so the rumours say ) and thus anyone could just walk into Scotland and then walk into England (illegally ) if there was no border ?

from what I have read economically they are reliant on obtaining all the North Sea Oil or pretty much having zero defence budget or tax rises or slashing public spending even further. 

Interesting that Shetland had a vote some time ago on being in the UK and it was a resounding YES. then I read that they could vote to go independent from an independent Scotland. Wouldn't that mean those islands would then end up with plenty of the Oil reserves?

Up there with letting 16 year old vote in the WTF was Cameron thinking when he agreed to it 

I agree it was a spectacularly risky move to allow 16's and 17's to vote on this most important issue as a first experiment in extending democracy. But as a principle, if you can be married and wearing a military uniform and paying taxes, you should be able to vote.

• Like 1

Â