London 2012 Olympic football tournament

TRS-T

Every time the BBC commentary refers the Great Britain National Team as "Team GB" is really doing my nut. We don't call Brazil "Team Brazil" now do we? Just call it GB!

(oh and the clanger, unless I heard it wrong, of referring Diego Maradona as Brazilian...classic).

Am I the only one who can't stand Neymar? Overrated little show pony.

Joe Allen's the only one who's impressed me...giggs and Bellamy both been poor.

The usual Stuart Pearce **** ups aswelll.....Danny Rose shoehorned into the team AGAIN. And Richards can't play in central defence, you could've told me that in 2008, no positional sense whatsoever. Tomkins is very mediocre, where is Caulker?

This tournament will only further prove Pierces ineptitude, the guy should be in charge of our prospects.

Christ look at this mess on show now, essentially has picked a squad for 433/451 yet tries to play a 442. Bellamy as a leading forward, Neil Taylor as a RB, the fact Danny Rose and Cleverly are on the pitch is baffling too.

Good article which sets the record straight on Olympic football ticket sales.

Some say that was a good reason for selecting David Beckham. Beckham could have shifted a huge chunk of those 500,000 tickets, couldn't he?

Well, actually, no.

Team GB v Uruguay at the Millennium Stadium on August 1 is a sell-out. So are all Great Britain's matches at Wembley, plus the men's quarter-finals, semi-finals and final at Wembley, as well the women's final, while the men's quarter-final and bronze medal matches in Cardiff are both close to being sell-outs.

Meanwhile, the first match at the Millennium - the women's clash between Team GB and New Zealand - has sold 33,000 tickets, which is almost 25,000 more than the maiden women's FA Cup final attracted in May when 8,723 spectators turned up to see Birmingham beat Chelsea on penalties at Bristol's Ashton Gate.

Of course, it would be wonderful if there was a bum on every seat at the London Olympics. But this is one time we should listen to the suits and the bean counters who tell us more than 1.6million tickets have been sold already for the Olympic football, more than for any other sport and more than the recent European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.

That compares with actual overall football attendances in Atlanta 1996 of 1.35million, Sydney 2000 1.075m, Athens 2004 0.43m and Beijing 2008 2.1m.

Beat the organisers over the head on security and transport and legacy and even the dreadful weather if you like, but the amount of football seats which will be full is not too shabby for a sport which should not be anywhere near the Olympics.

Football attendances above average for Games

Pearce is useless, is the U21's, ruined the best chance we had at a tournament (last summer, or maybe yr before that) by playing negative football with payers out of position, and looks like he is doing the same again...

He's a terrible manager. His nickname is psycho, do we really want an idiot with the nickname of psycho representing our nation?

His nickname is Psycho for a reason, its because he was as committed a footballer as you'll ever see, never once pulled out of a tackle and put the fear of god into his opponents. Always gave 100% on the pitch, that nickname was coined by fans in appreciation of his talents and commitment.

I can't see Pearce being slagged off because of his nickname and not comment. As a footballer he was everything you ask of a defender, rock solid. He was one of those rare breed of footballers that got applauded in every ground in the country because of his commitment in an England shirt.

His nickname being Psycho isn't a reason to slate him, he earned it, in a good way.

He's a terrible manager. His nickname is psycho, do we really want an idiot with the nickname of psycho representing our nation?

His nickname is Psycho for a reason, its because he was as committed a footballer as you'll ever see, never once pulled out of a tackle and put the fear of god into his opponents. Always gave 100% on the pitch, that nickname was coined by fans in appreciation of his talents and commitment.

I can't see Pearce being slagged off because of his nickname and not comment. As a footballer he was everything you ask of a defender, rock solid. He was one of those rare breed of footballers that got applauded in every ground in the country because of his commitment in an England shirt.

His nickname being Psycho isn't a reason to slate him, he earned it, in a good way.

Indeed. It's a shame he's a shit manager, but we of the now "old guard" should never let it taint his brilliance as a footballer.

Â