London 2012 Olympic football tournament

TRS-T

I'm glad Brazil didn't win the Gold.

It would be more fitting for them to win their first Olympic football Gold medal at Rio 2016.

It would be more fitting for me for them to not win at Rio in 2014, and then not to win at Rio in 2016 again :nod:

this will be a majority of Brazil World Cup squad in 2014 and I have said before they dont look good enough to win it.

rumour is Manezes is probably getting the sack for not winning the Olympics

Mexico well deserved the win.

Only saw the second half but very impressed with the Mexican number 9 who scored the second goal, big and strong, maybe worth a bid. The keeper was very commanding on crosses aswell.

On a tangent it's always struck me as odd how few Mexicans have really succeded at the top level of european football when they have a decent pedigree in world cups....Hugo Sanchez, Rafael Marquez, Javier Hernandez, anyone else I've missed out as top level Mexicans? Don't say Dos Santos ffs.

How many have came over? The money has exploded in Europe over the past ten years or so, but before that I dont think Mexican footballers would have much reason to leave Mexico would they?

LONDON (Reuters) - Attendance for the men's and women's football tournaments at the London Games set an Olympic record on Saturday after 86,162 fans saw Mexico beat Brazil in the men's final at Wembley Stadium.

That crowd took the cumulative total for the 32 men's and 26 women's matches to 2,186,930 - bettering the previous record set in Beijing four years ago when 2,137,462 watched the tournament.

In all 1,525,134 watched the men's games compared to 1,397,448 in Beijing and 740,014 watched the women's matches there compared to 661,796 here.

An Olympic and European record attendance of 80,203 for a women's match was set when the United States played Japan in the final at Wembley on Thursday.

"The attendances at the football tournament throughout the Games have been fantastic, despite some early concerns about tickets not being sold," said a spokesman at FIFA, soccer's governing body.

"But to set an Olympic attendance record not only shows the great love of football in Britain, but also the real strength of football as an Olympic sport."

Average attendance

45,898 for the Men's tournament.

24,944 for the Women's tournament.

Â