London 2012 Olympic football tournament

TRS-T

What anthem will it be for GB, land of hope and glory?

God Save the Queen, as it always is for the Olympics.

Land of Hope And Glory is only used (as far as I'm aware) for England in the Commonwealth Games

Shows how poor the MLS is.

I think this is going to be a common misreading and I'm only quoting you because you bit first.

The award David Beckham won was an "ESPY", the awards dished out by ESPN. All it shows is how stupid and pointless the ESPYs are and it has no reflection at all on MLS. Landon Donovan has won this award more often than not - it's a public vote, a popularity contest, and because it's ESPN it is voted for by a US sports audience still largely uninterested in and even suspicious of football.

Hardly a reliable group to vote on Best Player in MLS. Many of them will only have heard of Beckham and Donovan until Thierry Henry arrived.

Completely unofficial and completely wrong - Beckham actually had a decent 2011 season, but wasn't the league MVP, which is as close to an official Best Player award MLS has. This season he's been absolutely pony, as have the Galaxy.

The ESPYs are probably the most cynical bit of self-aggrandizement the Worldwide Leader engages in... and that's saying a lot.

Indeed, the winners of the Best MLS Player ESPY (all-time)

2006 - Landon Donovan

2007 - Landon Donovan

2008 - David Beckham

2009 - Landon Donovan

2010 - Landon Donovan

2011 - Landon Donovan

2012 - David Beckham

Beckham actually had a decent 2011 season, but wasn't the league MVP, which is as close to an official Best Player award MLS has. This season he's been absolutely pony, as have the Galaxy.

tbf, the ESPYs are for performances from MLB All-Star Wednesday (the Wednesday after the second Tuesday in July*) to the same date the next year.

*: the date being chosen because it's historically been the slowest day in American sports (and considering that most European football leagues aren't playing either, it's probably the slowest day worldwide, too...)

original.jpg

The ESPYs are probably the most cynical bit of self-aggrandizement the Worldwide Leader engages in... and that's saying a lot.

Indeed, the winners of the Best MLS Player ESPY (all-time)

2006 - Landon Donovan

2007 - Landon Donovan

2008 - David Beckham

2009 - Landon Donovan

2010 - Landon Donovan

2011 - Landon Donovan

2012 - David Beckham

Stab in the dark here, but are the ESPY awards based in Los Angeles?

ESPN is based in Bristol (Connecticut*), but the awards have been presented in LA for close to a decade now. It's more a symptom of it being mostly fan voting and the casual fan basically only knows about Donovan and Beckham.

*: unfortunately, I can't seem to find the ESPN promo (part of the "This is SportsCenter" series) where there was a cultural exchange program between Bristol, CT and Bristol, England. Hooliganism was involved.

ESPN is based in Bristol (Connecticut*), but the awards have been presented in LA for close to a decade now. It's more a symptom of it being mostly fan voting and the casual fan basically only knows about Donovan and Beckham.

*: unfortunately, I can't seem to find the ESPN promo (part of the "This is SportsCenter" series) where there was a cultural exchange program between Bristol, CT and Bristol, England. Hooliganism was involved.

But if the awards are based in LA then they are more likely to pick a player who is based in LA just so he can accept the award in person on the night of the broadcast. It's like a lot of music award shows I guess.

Brazil team to play Team GB on Friday:

4-2-3-1

Rafael Cabral

Rafael - Thiago Silva - Juan - Marcelo

Sandro - Romulo

Hulk - Oscar - Neymar

Leandro Damiao

Â