London 2012 Olympic football tournament

TRS-T

The FA is mulling a top level double-bill to celebrate Britain's return to Olympic football after 40 years.

The men's and women's teams would play international friendlies at the same venue on the same day next July.

Olympic rules state friendlies cannot be played at London 2012 venues, ruling out Wembley, Old Trafford, St James' Park, Hampden Park, City of Coventry stadium, and the Millennium Stadium.

Villa Park in Birmingham is seen as a strong contender for the fixtures.

The ground is no stranger to high-profile fixtures as it was used in the Euro 96 championships and hosted an FA Cup semi-final as recently as 2007.

London 2012 will see the women's team making their Olympic debut with the men competing for the first time since Munich 1972, when they were knocked out in the group stages.

July's double-header would be one of two pre-tournament friendlies for both teams, which are being organised by the FA on behalf of the British Olympic Association, and would be played shortly before the start of the Games on 27 July.

London 2012's football tournament starts on 25 July, two days before the Opening Ceremony, with two women's preliminary games at the Millennium Stadium. The women's final will be played on 9 August at Wembley, where the men's final takes place two days later.

The FA sees the Olympics as a chance to boost the profile of women's football, and the double-header friendly fixtures would be a great opportunity to engage a wider audience for the sport.

Hope Powell, appointed last week to manage the women's team, hopes the Games will lead to a rise in popularity in the women's game in the home nations.

"I'm delighted to be in the position to be able to take a team into such an illustrious tournament, I just wish it were starting tomorrow," she said on the day of her appointment.

Powell has led England's women for 13 years and to four successive major finals, including Euro 2005 on home soil.

Former England defender Stuart Pearce was named as the men's manager, and he called on Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh Football Associations to make their players available for London 2012.

The Wales and Scottish Football Associations have reiterated their opposition to a British team as they feel it threatens their independence as football nations.

The 18-strong men's squads must contain 15 players who were born on, or after, 1 January 1989 - but three players can be older. There are no age limits for the women's selections.

London 2012: FA ponders Team GB Olympic celebration games

I hope this is true.

Would be great to see Team GB playing in Birmingham.

The FA is mulling a top level double-bill to celebrate Britain's return to Olympic football after 40 years.

The men's and women's teams would play international friendlies at the same venue on the same day next July.

Olympic rules state friendlies cannot be played at London 2012 venues, ruling out Wembley, Old Trafford, St James' Park, Hampden Park, City of Coventry stadium, and the Millennium Stadium.

Villa Park in Birmingham is seen as a strong contender for the fixtures.

The ground is no stranger to high-profile fixtures as it was used in the Euro 96 championships and hosted an FA Cup semi-final as recently as 2007.

London 2012 will see the women's team making their Olympic debut with the men competing for the first time since Munich 1972, when they were knocked out in the group stages.

July's double-header would be one of two pre-tournament friendlies for both teams, which are being organised by the FA on behalf of the British Olympic Association, and would be played shortly before the start of the Games on 27 July.

London 2012's football tournament starts on 25 July, two days before the Opening Ceremony, with two women's preliminary games at the Millennium Stadium. The women's final will be played on 9 August at Wembley, where the men's final takes place two days later.

The FA sees the Olympics as a chance to boost the profile of women's football, and the double-header friendly fixtures would be a great opportunity to engage a wider audience for the sport.

Hope Powell, appointed last week to manage the women's team, hopes the Games will lead to a rise in popularity in the women's game in the home nations.

"I'm delighted to be in the position to be able to take a team into such an illustrious tournament, I just wish it were starting tomorrow," she said on the day of her appointment.

Powell has led England's women for 13 years and to four successive major finals, including Euro 2005 on home soil.

Former England defender Stuart Pearce was named as the men's manager, and he called on Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh Football Associations to make their players available for London 2012.

The Wales and Scottish Football Associations have reiterated their opposition to a British team as they feel it threatens their independence as football nations.

The 18-strong men's squads must contain 15 players who were born on, or after, 1 January 1989 - but three players can be older. There are no age limits for the women's selections.

London 2012: FA ponders Team GB Olympic celebration games

I hope this is true.

Would be great to see Team GB playing in Birmingham.

I can't say I care tbh. Love track and field? watch the olympics. love football? watch the world cup.

We should have had the games here anyway as the ground capacity was never really going to be increased was it? I have tickets for Coventry but would see the games at Villa Park as well but having side stepped the opportunity to get games last time I guess they may look elsewhere around the UK where there are no Olympic matches being played nearby such as at Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Southampton or how about in Northern Ireland?

3 overage players and the FA will wrangle it so that anyone at the euros wont be involved IMO

if it wasnt i still dont think terry and cole would get a sniff, jones can cover terry and gibbs can cover cole, one of the overage positions IMO would have to go to hart, another to rooney and then another either to some retiring player looking for a swansong or someone from the other 3 as a carrot dangling exercise (giggs fits both)

i think id go, as always it would depend on who they played, you can imagine sunderland snapping it up if we dont, one of them where we always moan about people not recognising our area for football and then when an opportunity comes along we all say nah bollocks

I would have thought they'd use one of the Olympic football venues to host this.

GB jersey could be interesting as more than likely be a one off

gareth bale is wearing it on a pic inside the new football manager...

im guessing it a prototype or a training top as its a bit different, ive looked for pics online but cant find any

I would have thought they'd use one of the Olympic football venues to host this.

Missed that bit!

Â