London 2012 Olympic football tournament

TRS-T

Ha. Neymar, Pato and Hulk. Hell of a frontline at any level, let alone the friggin' Olympics

And people were saying we should pick Beckham :lol:

Still I don't understand why everyone thinks our overage players should be OAPs like Beckham and Giggs.

Brazil's overage players are 27, 25 and 24.

Spain's overage players are 24, 24 and 23.

Ha. Neymar, Pato and Hulk. Hell of a frontline at any level, let alone the friggin' Olympics

And people were saying we should pick Beckham :lol:

Still I don't understand why everyone thinks our overage players should be OAPs like Beckham and Giggs.

Brazil's overage players are 27, 25 and 24.

Spain's overage players are 24, 24 and 23.

I agree, other nations take the Olympics very seriously, as a grounding for players for the first team.....we're just using it as a pr exercise in that the Olympics are in London.

If we were taking it seriously, Giggs, beckham and Bellamy would be no where near the squad. The over age players should be the likes of Rooney, Richards (one of the good things Pearce has done), bale (ok he's injured), Johnson, jones etc. I know fergie would moan if players were in euros and Olympics but balls to him.....look at alba, played every minute of euros I think and is in squad barca haven't stopped it!

Anyway does anyone know if there is a possibility of a third place off between Spain and brazil?... Purely from a selfish point of view as I want to watch them play and that's what game I have tickets for

If they both win their respective groups (or both qualify in second place from their groups) then they will be in different halves of the draw for the knockout phases and can meet in the Bronze medal match if they both lose in the semi finals.

If one side wins their group and the other qualifies in second place then they will meet in the quarter finals.

Team should've been

----------------Hart

Smalling-Caulker-Jones-Bertrand

--------------Parker

------Cleverley--Ramsey

Sturridge--------------OxCham

--------------Rooney

Likes of Giggs and Bellamy shouldnt be there. Bale would obviously have gone if not injured. We are going to get embarrased by that Brazil squad. Unreal amount of quality in their team

I'm not sure the difference in quality between the Spain and Brazil squads compared to us is any bigger than it is at a World Cup with the senior teams (obviously England as opposed to GB)

Anyway does anyone know if there is a possibility of a third place off between Spain and brazil?... Purely from a selfish point of view as I want to watch them play and that's what game I have tickets for

If they both win their respective groups (or both qualify in second place from their groups) then they will be in different halves of the draw for the knockout phases and can meet in the Bronze medal match if they both lose in the semi finals.

If one side wins their group and the other qualifies in second place then they will meet in the quarter finals.

Thank you

Why are they playing the Olympic football around the country anyway?

They could have held it just in London:

Wembley Stadium - 90,000

Emirates Stadium - 60,000

Stamford Bridge - 41,000

White Hart Lane - 36,000

Upton Park - 35,000

The Valley - 27,000

Selhurst Park - 26,000

Craven Cottage - 25,000

The New Den - 20,000

Meanwhile, some news regarding the women's tournament that may be of interest to GarethRDR:

Hope Solo cleared for Olympics despite positive doping result

Hope Solo tested positive for a banned substance found in her pre-menstrual medication and received a public warning from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency on Monday.

Solo, 30, tested positive for the banned substance canrenone as the result of an out-of-competition urine sample collected June 15.

USADA said she was taking the medication in a "therapeutic dose under the care of a physician." Canrenone is classified as a specified substance, meaning that its presence in an athlete's sample can result in a reduced sanction.

"I took a medication prescribed by my personal doctor for pre-menstrual purposes that I did not know contained a diuretic," Solo said in a statement. "Once informed of this fact, I immediately cooperated with USADA and shared with them everything they needed to properly conclude that I made an honest mistake, and that the medication did not enhance my performance in any way."

U.S. Soccer said in a statement that it fully supported Solo's "clarification" of the test result.

Solo is the starting goalkeeper for the U.S. women's soccer team that will play in the Olympics. The Americans' first game is July 25 against France.

If anyone is keeping a wall chart of her cycle, you now have some more data.

Â