Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

I am one of his biggest fans, but did anyone else feel that he played a little too deep on Saturday? In a 3 man midfield, he'd have every right to do this, but there were times on Saturday where I felt he should have been involved a little further up the pitch, mainly in the second half.

(Just for the sake of debate)

I think it might be a tactical holdover from the Sunderland match- the first half of that match Herd was higher up the pitch, and Sunderland had a bit more initiative to their attack. At parts of that match's second half, meanwhile, Herd was positioned at times as a third center half.

Considering how high up the pitch that Hutton gets (and Warnock, though he doesn't fly up the pitch with the abandon his opposite number does), it wouldn't surprise me at all that McLeish's tactical brief to Herd is 1. provide the link between the defense and midfield and 2. protect the center backs while the fullback support the attack.

Which is a role I could see Herd thriving and relishing in.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel compelled to sing this lads praises. A mere 12 appearances under his belt but has the confidence and presence of a player far beyond his years. It was interesting to see him side by side with Delph great future potential in the two of them but I can't help but feel that Herd might be the better all round footballer. Haircuts aside he certainly wont set the world on fire but he definitely looks to be well up to the standard of the Premiership and an obvious natural replacement for the aging Petrov.

Looking a really determined player; his Swansea performance wasn't the best but then again he seems to have a lot of work to do.

Needs to work on his ability to knock the ball past a player and release a more advanced team mate but other than that he has a great slide tackle; which while makes me wince seems to have him coming out with the ball most of the time and he also holds his position excellently....unlike some central midfielders at the club.

Great example of why you stick with players and not scrap them because they're 20 with no hype.

• 2 weeks later...

Herd might the proof that you don't have to be hyped as a teenager to make it on the big stage. Whilst Luke Moore is proof of the opposite that because you're being hyped as a youngster it's not a certainty that you will make it in the end. Herd came from almost nowhere this season and is now a regular in the first team. He hasn't made it yet, but he's been very good so far. But he's playing the easy part of the midfield right now. Which he does very well, but I wanna see how he can develop if he starts to be a bit more creative. But so far I'm a happy fellow when it comes to Herd.

Â