Chris Herd

ChrisNichollsToe

I've been really impressed with this lad. First impressions were that he may not be upto grade, but it looks like he has the makings to be a good defensive midfielder. He doesn't have brilliant ball skills but he is solid who will hopefully continue to improve. Plays simple passes which I think is needed in that position and tracks back really well. He also helps out our defenders which we need at times. Oh.... and go Aussie!!

I would've prefered him to play for Scotland, it would've avoided him long and useless trips (no offense to any Aussies, It's just from a practical point of view).

Yeh, useless making the last 2 world cups...why would you bother? :D

Glad we've all decided that he's decent after all, seem to remember quite a few negative comments not so long ago...

He's playing well, and I think he has a really clearly defined role in the team - one that we really needed and weren't sure we had. He didn't work out as a full back, but he's obviously very comfortable as a centre mid.

Herd is a quality player and will only get better the more he plays. I was really impressed with him yesterday. He was very disciplined and covered the centre backs whenever they went out side to help a full back. He could become a top player if he keeps going the right way.

Busquets with energy and aerial ability??

Only joking before I get slaughtered. :winkold:

But his certainly good enough to address the issue that we have and provide a base for some of our midfield options. I would love to see him and Delph playing behind Gardner at some point. The future?

A few times yesterday when Norwich hit us on the break and the one player back in our defensive third ready to make tackles and break up attacking play ahead of our back four (or three, given that Hutton always struggles to get back defensively) was Herd. He has been a vital player for us so far and only see him improving, certainly the real deal this kid.

crazy thought, but does anyone think that the sending off incident may have inadvertently had a positive effect on him? in the Norwich game he seemed to be a little more considered with his tackling and really think about when to go to ground and when to stand the player off - i know he's been criticised in this thread for flying in a little too much and would be prone to cards. there was one tackle over on the right where he forced the man wide and then put in an inch perfect tackle, only to hook the ball around the man and win possession for himself.

Â