Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

when's his contract up??

Regardless of our current midfield woes, he still couldn't force himself into the team.

I suppose one silver lining will be he'll be ready for the championship next season (either with us or Forest on a permanent deal)

When he played for us second half of season under McLeish he looked slow to me but had a decent pass on him and got forward well, was unlucky not to score at Newcastle and his shot created the Weimann goal v Fulham which pretty much kept us up.

That was incredibly 4 years ago though and since then he's had bad injuries and barely played for us.

I'd like to see him though get some chances start of next season. If he does well for Forest then no reason not to.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KHV said:

He will go to Forest and play really really well (again), we will have to watch Sanchez and Gueye :angry:

Yes, he may well play well in the Championship but yet another manager hasn't seen him as a first team player or potential substitute in our current league.

As for Sanchez and Gueye - the latter hasn't been bad at all, whilst Sanchez is too unpredictable. Even so, Gardner (currently) isn't as good as either player.

I think every fan would want GG to become a success at Villa, as he's grown up at the club. Unfortunately, there's not many 'Gerrard' types who come throught the ranks and make a real impact at their boyhood club.

He's been unfortunate with injuries for sure, but he's never shown anything like the potential a lot thought he had at youth level.

Maybe the thoughts of the coaching staff are that he needs game time, which we can't risk giving him, so send him on loan to the league where in all realism, we will be plying our trade next year. Theorhetically, we'll have a player, match fit and prepared/accustomed to the Championship.

Surely a better option than just leaving him training each week with no competitive matches?

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Yes, he may well play well in the Championship but yet another manager hasn't seen him as a first team player or potential substitute in our current league.

As for Sanchez and Gueye - the latter hasn't been bad at all, whilst Sanchez is too unpredictable. Even so, Gardner (currently) isn't as good as either player.

I think every fan would want GG to become a success at Villa, as he's grown up at the club. Unfortunately, there's not many 'Gerrard' types who come throught the ranks and make a real impact at their boyhood club.

He's been unfortunate with injuries for sure, but he's never shown anything like the potential a lot thought he had at youth level.

Maybe the thoughts of the coaching staff are that he needs game time, which we can't risk giving him, so send him on loan to the league where in all realism, we will be plying our trade next year. Theorhetically, we'll have a player, match fit and prepared/accustomed to the Championship.

Surely a better option than just leaving him training each week with no competitive matches?

I personally think you are being kind on Sanchez and Gueye, I think they are both dreadful, the combination of those two in front of the back four really hinders us. Sanchez has never looked any good and Gueye seems a totally different player since he was injured. If Gardner goes to Forest and plays week in week out I would question why he couldnt do that here. I'd rather see Westwood, Gardner and Veretout in the middle. Veretout is showing some form finally, Westwood is always solid and Gardner cannot be any worse than Gueye or Sanchez

21 hours ago, Eames said:

Will WE play him even in that league though? Assuming we keep the same squad and there is no reason we shouldn't we'd have better players in front of him. In that scenario he's a waste of a squad  place. If he was good enough he'd be playing now  - and this is not the same as the Cahill situation. Dynamic midfielders with his injury record at his age rarely go on to succeed. 

Delph

1 minute ago, KHV said:

I personally think you are being kind on Sanchez and Gueye, I think they are both dreadful, the combination of those two in front of the back four really hinders us. Sanchez has never looked any good and Gueye seems a totally different player since he was injured. If Gardner goes to Forest and plays week in week out I would question why he couldnt do that here. I'd rather see Westwood, Gardner and Veretout in the middle. Veretout is showing some form finally, Westwood is always solid and Gardner cannot be any worse than Gueye or Sanchez

Thing is, we don't see what Gardner is like in training (bit like Illori - and look what he was like last night!) and the coaching staff do.

It might be seen as a 'safe' place for him to get a run of games, regain fitness and match awareness. We're losing matches left right and chelsea but chucking in an inexperienced, non-match fit youth player isn't the answer for me.

I don't think Gueye has done anything particularly bad in his first season with us. Maybe I am little kind on Sanchez - as I say he's too unpredictable and unfortunately usually when he plays badly and makes a mistake it costs us.

I agree about (the much maligned on here) Westwood though, but alongside Veretout and Gueye (who is showing more of his pre-injury form recently).

Saying all that, none of our midfielders are that good they'd be deemed irreplaceable!

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Thing is, we don't see what Gardner is like in training (bit like Illori - and look what he was like last night!) and the coaching staff do.

It might be seen as a 'safe' place for him to get a run of games, regain fitness and match awareness. We're losing matches left right and chelsea but chucking in an inexperienced, non-match fit youth player isn't the answer for me.

I don't think Gueye has done anything particularly bad in his first season with us. Maybe I am little kind on Sanchez - as I say he's too unpredictable and unfortunately usually when he plays badly and makes a mistake it costs us.

I agree about (the much maligned on here) Westwood though, but alongside Veretout and Gueye (who is showing more of his pre-injury form recently).

Saying all that, none of our midfielders are that good they'd be deemed irreplaceable!

I think Gueye is incredibly lightweight and bad on the ball, but I suppose that's what football is all about having different opinions. To me he is a poor version of Reo-Coker

Â