Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

4 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

He'll probably be 5th choice by the end of this window. In that role he's fine, but I don't want to see him too often if possible. Not dire today but the guy can't pass and he's a bit rash in the tackle. 

Yeah I'd agree with most of that. Was pretty poor but the shot saved him from being dire. It was a 5/10 performance for me and not the first time. 

23 minutes ago, sne said:

Whatever it is he's supposed to do out there, he's not doing it.

Squad player at best.

Thats the thing for me, he's a nothing player. He isnt particularly good offensively, defensively,  his passing ability is poor and he can't tackle. 

All he can do well is strike a ball, a bit like his brother, only less talented. 

6 minutes ago, poitier said:

His idea of tackling is grabbing the opponent round the waist as they run past him. 

Great shot but another underwhelming performance.

Nah, he's also competent at lunging in after the ball has gone.

Would like to have seen Lyden on he bench today. Could have replaced GG and given us someone fresh in the centre. What's up with him anyway? Is he injured?

Also, get McKirdy on the bench for a few games.

I am not a massive fan, but I think he will be OK as a squad player for this year - he will be 2nd or 3rd string.

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but it does feel like quite a few are jumping on the "bash Gardner" bandwagon - e.g. pre-match thread.  Plenty of people have called for him to be given a chance - now he is been giving a go those same people are writing him off after one or two average games.  Seems a bit unfair to me. 

• Like 2

Just watching his in play passing during the game, it was slow, weak, and off target. Almost always, the player he was passing to had to break position and come to the ball. Being able to pass is essential in his role. He really should not be starting games.

8 hours ago, villianusa said:

Considering before the game that most in the game thread said we would lose because of him and Westwood in midfield, I think he did okay. Did as much as the Will Hughes a lot of people here drawl over.

No chance will hughes was outstanding gardner was so average next to him. Hughes looks like a real cm, think he would be a perfect addition to our midfield!

His tackling and break up of play on the whole was decent , his short passing was steady but when asked to move the ball forward he was woeful.Some of his passing when players where in space ahead of him was horrific and he seemed unable to get the pace on the ball right either overhit or underhit.

He's got no legs and is about as mobile as a traffic cone. 

Consdering his physical stature, he's not even a solid presence in there. 

Always wanted him to get his chance after such awful luck with injuries and who knows, maybe he could have been a player if he hadn't been robbed of that development. 

No doubt he cares and is trying. Much like his brother, he has decent technique and can strike a ball, but lacks any kind of pace and mobility. 

He makes Westwood look like Pirlo mixed with Xavi. 

Â