Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

7 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I don't think he was that bad. He wasn't great, but wasn't bad. Decent squad player which is all he is when everyone is fit. 

Sorry, but you are sitting on the fence......We need to get out of this league......you are talking about a player who you describe as a squad player, but we have him in the first team trying to win an important game.

He is no where near good enough for us.

It is pussyfooting.....We as a fanbase and club, need to get ruthless.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

he showed signs of improvement today, he was better than in recent matches, but when the team is struggling and looking for reasons why it is hard to look past him and Westwood, probably a bit harsh though.

The Midfield is shockingly weak and has been going in to the campaign......remember this post, because it will have a major effect on our season.

No chance of promotion with these pair.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

That makes zero sense. He's 4th choice when everyone is fit. Is ruthlessness getting rid of our 4th choice CM?

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Sorry, but you are sitting on the fence......We need to get out of this league......you are talking about a player who you describe as a squad player, but we have him in the first team trying to win an important game.

He is no where near good enough for us.

We had him in the first team because our 2 of our best 3 central midfielders were injured. 

That's exactly what a squad player does, play when players are injured. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We had him in the first team because our 2 of our best 3 central midfielders were injured. 

That's exactly what a squad player does, play when players are injured. 

So the squad player is not good enough.....we are in to the beginning of the season, not the end

Ok so we can find excuses for every game......lets get on with it.....but it will have us dumped.

25 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That makes zero sense. He's 4th choice when everyone is fit. Is ruthlessness getting rid of our 4th choice CM?

No ruthlessness is not accepting conceding a lead with such acceptance.We all know the mitigating circumstances....funny how the players, we don't want playing are fit.

its just total bo******.......we just can't win a ******* game.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Need to get rid asap

This is the part I'm disagreeing with. The transfer window is over. Are you in favour of releasing him? If not, the 'soonest possible' is January, and in the meantime he needs to be available to cover when two central midfielders, who would probably be picked over him, are not fit enough to play. 

Or are you making the case that Bacuna or Lyden should have started instead?

Thought he had a good first half. Probably the best he's played for us. Second half he tired and was making poor passes with one leading to a goal. Think he will get better but should not be first choice when the other two are fit.

• Like 1

I think he's a bit naff but he's also not one of the large amount of useless players we had leading us comfortably to defeat after defeat last season. There was a hell of a lot of deadwood to clear this summer and some key areas needed addressing, one being CM. We bought 2 players for this position in. I'm sure in another universe We'd have sold Gardner and kept Gana and our midfield would look much stronger today. But we are a championship squad that failed miserably last season and there had to be some players from last seasons squad making up the numbers this year and he is one of them. Jedinak will be back by midweek and Gardner will have to show he's improving in training to stand a shot at the first team again. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Didn't want to repeat what I wrote in the match thread, but here goes :-)

In that particular situation, I thought the fault for the goal was as much the other player who didn't meet his pass, at least it was both players fault, Westwood was far to easily bullied over and should have taken a free kick/yellow card when the player got passed him. The two central defenders was as much at fault to let their player have a free shot at goal, and one could as well fault Bunn.

Apart from this bad pass just outside their penalty area, I thought he hardly put a foot wrong. He made several key blocks and headers just outside our area, showed good strength and won almost every duel in our half. Looking at his attacking play he contributed more than I have seen him do before, and considering he played such a big part in the defence, I was impressed by the number of forward bursts he made. He had at least two good shots at goal, of which one went very close. One of the bursts resulted in a free kick just outside their area, he also took good positions in their penalty area at many occations.

Appart from this, he did the regular job of making himself available in the middle, making simple passes.

I thought he contributed strongly to us dominating the game. He did, as Westwood gets praise for, make it ticking over, and on top of that, he was solid in defence and at the same time good in attack.

We do see different thing in games, but for me he was one of our best players (stil prefer Tshibola and Jedinak though).

To me he looks like a squad player in the Championship which is what he is. His problem is that his PR suggests that we have a Xavi or similar in on our books but he patently is not. Our problem is Westwood is competent Championship grade too so the two of them together gives you nothing special even at this level. As was proved today.

Come on guys. Gardner was decent in this game. You can't hardly blame him for Forrests first goal as his pass was lost on the edge of the oppositions area. Westwood had plenty of time to break their play, either by getting the ball or making a free kick, as he should have done for their second goal as well. Of the 2, Gardner and Westwood, Gardner is the one I would keep, Westwood is too lightweigth...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Come on guys. Gardner was decent in this game. You can't hardly blame him for Forrests first goal as his pass was lost on the edge of the oppositions area. Westwood had plenty of time to break their play, either by getting the ball or making a free kick, as he should have done for their second goal as well. Of the 2, Gardner and Westwood, Gardner is the one I would keep, Westwood is too lightweigth...

Westwood and Gardner are similar in many respects - average, competent Championship-level players. Won't give the ball away too often but won't do anything spectacular either. Of the two Westwood is slightly better and wouldn't look so out of place with a better player alongside him. Our problem is that our two first choice CM are injury prone and so Westwood and Gardner will appear far more than we would like.

RDM has made a huge mistake not bringing in a creative MF and another solid squad choice - its unlikely that we will now find a free agent so i'd imagine that this will now be addressed in January. I think we have already missed the boat on automatic promotion (early days but thats my view), lets hope that its not too late to make a run at the play-offs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Needs to be barred from shooting at range.

Like his brother, his ability to belt a ball is the only reason his career has lasted this long, at this level. Poor players who have managed to blag a career by banging in a few goals from 20 yards. Both probably look great on YouTube.

Â