Brad Guzan

R.Bear

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Get them both sold this window. What value do they add?

Nobody will take the worst keeper in the league. Be lucky if an MLS team or League 1 team was interested

• Like 1

How can he tell villa fans to eff off after the shit we have seen this season. We pay your wages you imbecile how dare you tell fans to eff off

Well, it's more Sky that pay their wages these days.

I'm a bit split on the issue, I think both parties are in the wrong. Fans shouldn't abuse someone and then be shocked when it's thrown back at them. Football players should know better than to make them self look like idiots by responding. Both parties look awful IMO.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, penguin said:

He was hardly filling anyone with too much confidence before the Man City game if memory serves me correctly and it was more of a straw that broke the Camel's back situation in my eyes, whats the point even having a backup keeper if not for competition and an alternative. Looks suspiciously like you're trying to blame Sherwood for how shite he's being to me, which would be completely ridiculous.

IMO the lack of confidence excuse is a massive cop out. I can understand it to some extend affecting factors like claiming crosses and whether to rush in one-on-ones etc but getting beaten at your near post and letting in shots right at you just screams lack of ability to me.

I think you misunderstand, I'm not trying to excuse him or place the blame on Sherwood . I'm simply trying to find an explanation for his frankly baffling drop in form. The one that makes most sense to me is a lack of confidence, if only because this is something that's rife throughout the rest of the team. Getting beat at his near post may show lack of ability, but it's not like he's always been getting beat at his near post. He used to be quite a decent shot-stopper. You don't just lose that ability overnight, especially as a relatively not-old goalkeeper. He's dropping shots, flapping at set-pieces, sometimes not even coming out for them...all things that are antithetical to how he played for us not even 2 seasons ago. I don't buy a lack of ability.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

How do you become so bad in the space of a year without any injuries? I think it's a huge confidence issue. Needs to be benched so he can regain some.

I don't think we should overlook physiology. 

Some athletes just decline, that decline can happen as you leave your 20s. I think his reflexes have slowed at least half a step and that's absolutely not down to confidence. Also, he demonstrates poor concentration, highlighted by his often poor handling of the ball and bad kicking. This can also be influenced by physical changes (eye sight, brain firing a different way as he gets older etc) as well as mental (confidence etc). 

I just don't think he's the athlete he was a couple of years ago, nothing will reverse this decline. He needs to step down in quality in order to preserve his career as a first team player.

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't think we should overlook physiology. 

Some athletes just decline, that decline can happen as you leave your 20s. I think his reflexes have slowed at least half a step and that's absolutely not down to confidence. Also, he demonstrates poor concentration, highlighted by his often poor handling of the ball and bad kicking. This can also be influenced by physical changes (eye sight, brain firing a different way as he gets older etc) as well as mental (confidence etc). 

I just don't think he's the athlete he was a couple of years ago, nothing will reverse this decline. He needs to step down in quality in order to preserve his career as a first team player.

A 30 year old goalkeeper going into a physiological decline that affects his game in such a way in the space of a year or 2 is akin to the same happening to a 25/26 year old outfield player. We're not even talking about losing pace, but reflexes? I'm not saying it's not possible, but that is incredible.

• Like 2

Â