Brad Guzan

R.Bear

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Or maybe just maybe the board wouldn't section another signing. There are things Sherwood can be blamed for, but Guzan bring woeful is not one of them.

Well no I'm not blaming sherwood for guzan being poor, but it was blindingly obvious we needed a new keeper and it looked like sherwood knew it too...why make a 10mill bid for a keeper at the start of the summer then end up signing a poor no.2?

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Tom fox said that there were disagreements in the holes that Sherwood thought needed filling. I'd imagine keeper was one our brilliant transfer comittee disagreed with. 

Considering we bid for Begovic, I think that's bollocks.

Also, your sentence doesn't make sense. Sherwood was a major part of the committee. He can't disagree with himself.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Tom fox said that there were disagreements in the holes that Sherwood thought needed filling. I'd imagine keeper was one our brilliant transfer comittee disagreed with. 

keeper and striker

2 positions we didnt need to fill ;)

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Considering we bid for Begovic, I think that's bollocks.

Also, your sentence doesn't make sense. Sherwood was a major part of the committee. He can't disagree with himself.

Was it official that we bid? And that may have been the only keeper they were willing to sanction money on. 

I mean the rest of the committee. 

Fox never said they disagreed on the gaps Sherwood had, IIRC. Fox said they, as as group, challenged and discussed those needs and came to an agreement as to who they should pursue. According to Fox, Sherwood was part of those discussions.

At no point did Fox say that they disagreed with who Sherwood said he needed. You're twisting words there.

I dont really trust anything Fox is saying at the moment. it was clear that Sherwood didnt want Guzan at end of last season and manager should have been backed by being allowed get a new keeper

Sherwood wanted Begovic and came back with Bunn :crylaugh: 

We bid for Begovic so clearly he was backed. He understandably chose the league champions instead.

People keep excusing Sherwood. HE WAS PART OF THE SO CALLED COMMITTEE.

If you blame the committee, you blame Sherwood. One of his many **** ups.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fox never said they disagreed on the gaps Sherwood had, IIRC. Fox said they, as as group, challenged and discussed those needs and came to an agreement as to who they should pursue. According to Fox, Sherwood was part of those discussions.

At no point did Fox say that they disagreed with who Sherwood said he needed. You're twisting words there.

Not twisting, just my interpretation. I could well imagine Sherwood wanting a keeper and the rest only agreeing that 1 or 2 targets were worth going after. Not absolving Sherwood of any blame, but he may have wanted a new keeper more than the rest of them. The fact he dropped Guzan and wanted Begovic makes me think this. 

2 hours ago, YGabbana said:

Funny when in the summer people were moaning about how GK would be the last position we need to worry about. Hes a shite keeper and has been for awhile

I think all people said was it wasn't a priority.

And I still think it wasn't. Other areas of the pitch would have more of an impact. 

If we had Begovic do you think we'd be out of the relegation zone? I certainly don't. 

Guzan needs replacing, but I still don't think it was a priority in the summer.

from top of my head Guzan cost or conceded soft goals against Sunderland x2, Swansea, Palace, Chelsea, Newcastle, Norwich, Everton, Leicester

any half decent keeper would have kept us in some of them games especially as we lost a lot by the odd goal

• Like 1

I cannot believe what has happened to Brad, I know its not the case but it feels whenever we have a shot on target against us it ends up in the back of the net. His confidence has obviously been shattered ever since the end of the last season, but he really isn't up for it anymore. 

Wouldn't agree he has always been bad though. 

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And I still think it wasn't. Other areas of the pitch would have more of an impact. 

If we had Begovic do you think we'd be out of the relegation zone? I certainly don't. 

If we had Buffon in goal we wouldn't be any better off, guzan isn't blameless and he certainly should do better for some of the goals (no keeper should be beaten at the near post like he was yesterday) but any competent defender wouldn't have let Defoe get the shot away in the first place.

A few years ago under Lambert he was an excellent shot stopper, and he was coming for crosses. However, he has always been poor closing down 1 on 1 situations, and more importantly I've always thought his communication was poor (I remember Ashley Young berating him numerous times). Now he seems that his shot stopping has got worse and his communication is none existent, the defence (who themselves aren't playing well) have zero confidence in what he is doing behind them, meaning they can't concentrate on their jobs fully. Look at the difference Cech is making to Arsenal and their defenders (as an example, not saying we could sign anyone as good as Cech). Guzan needs to go.

If we had Buffon in goal we wouldn't be any better off, guzan isn't blameless and he certainly should do better for some of the goals (no keeper should be beaten at the near post like he was yesterday) but any competent defender wouldn't have let Defoe get the shot away in the first place.

If we had Buffon in goal I think we'd be about 7 or 8 points better off.

Brad Guzan is far and away the weakest link in the first 11. He's absolutely terrible in a crucial position. Every time we make a mistake we are punished, because he simply cannot play keeper at this level anymore. Not only that, he's made about 5 or 6 catastrophic blunders himself that have lead directly to goals.

Despite how shit we've been we're not really getting battered every week. Still. But with Guzan in goal, 3 shots on target = 3 goals.

Get rid. Now. To the bench at minimum.

• Like 3

I agree he needs replacing, but let's not get too carried away with the "3 shots on goal = 3 goals" stuff.  Guzan has faced the 2nd most shots of any keeper in the league this season and has made the 5th most saves.

He's gone off the boil, but he's the last line of defence in a whole defensive setup that simply isn't working.  All 3 of Sunderland's goals are absolutely laughable and they aren't all Guzan's fault. He's part of the problem rather than being the problem.

• Like 2

but how many times has Guzan made a difficult save or a save that keeps us in the game

we lost a lot of games by 1 goal and a good keeper saves the Sigurdsson free kick or makes a big save vs Stoke at 0-0 or the Mvila free kick

He is just woeful

• Like 1

but how many times has Guzan made a difficult save or a save that keeps us in the game

we lost a lot of games by 1 goal and a good keeper saves the Sigurdsson free kick or makes a big save vs Stoke at 0-0 or the Mvila free kick

He is just woeful

Absolutely. This is where stats can fall down. He has made crucial error after crucial error, almost weekly. Who can forget the throw out to Amavi, or when he wellied the ball at Lescott. Beaten at the near post consistently, spilling balls left right and centre. I don't think I've seen him claim a tough high ball or make a really decent stop for weeks. Against Swansea he kicked 6, SIX, long balls straight into touch. He can't organise a defence, a wall, and he can't organise his own feet.

He's got to go.

• Like 2

Â