Brad Guzan

R.Bear

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Absolutely. This is where stats can fall down. He has made crucial error after crucial error, almost weekly. Who can forget the throw out to Amavi, or when he wellied the ball at Lescott. Beaten at the near post consistently, spilling balls left right and centre. I don't think I've seen him claim a tough high ball or make a really decent stop for weeks. Against Swansea he kicked 6, SIX, long balls straight into touch. He can't organise a defence, a wall, and he can't organise his own feet.

He's got to go.

No, it's not where the stats fall down - it's where the memory picks things up.

Barely anyone remembers a wonder save, but it's incredibly easy to recollect a massive error. Similarly, barely anyone remembers players missing easy chances but everyone remembers a stunning goal.

I know the people have been on Guzan's back for longer than he deserved.  But I think in the past few weeks he has started to believe them.  He is now sadly becoming the liability that people have been saying.  Confidence is totally shot.  He's not the only one of course, but he is now one of them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Name me the last wonder save he made.

He had a good game against Swansea despite us losing. Made an excellent save from Ayew IIRC. The comment about him being poor for the free kick (from Zatman I think) is nonsense, imo.

He had a good game and pretty much won us the point against Man City too.

I also think your comment that he kicked the ball out 6 times against Swansea is just plainly false. I think that's a huge exaggeration, as seems to be the done thing regarding his kicking in here.

Edit: He made some good stops against Newcastle too IIRC. Not wonder saves, but good stops.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

That's exactly my point, innit.

I wasn't sure!

I do know what you mean now, however I assure you if he had pulled off an "above average" save of late I'd have made a note of it, just as I will if Gestede ever scores again.

I like Brad, I really wanted him to turn it around. I'm sad that the vocal majority were correct in the summer. But as the players go I hold him right at the very top of those responsible for our plight.

I just remembered the Leicester winner too.

He had a good game against Swansea despite us losing. Made an excellent save from Ayew IIRC. The comment about him being poor for the free kick (from Zatman I think) is nonsense, imo.

He had a good game and pretty much won us the point against Man City too.

I also think your comment that he kicked the ball out 6 times against Swansea is just plainly false. I think that's a huge exaggeration, as seems to be the done thing regarding his kicking in here.

Edit: He made some good stops against Newcastle too IIRC. Not wonder saves, but good stops.

Fair comments. Agree on the Man City game, I do recall one really good save and you are possibly right about my exaggerating the Swansea kicking performance, I would watch the game again but I'm not that much of a masochist.

Regardless I am firmly of the belief that the negatives outweigh the positives by a huge, huge margin. The defeats against Crystal Palace and Leicester in particular were devastating in retrospect and he is as much to blame for them as the farce of a manager we had at the time. Saturday was another one, momentum lost again, game lost again, thanks to another basic goalkeeping error. In my opinion of course.

The negatives do outweigh the positives (although I'm still adamant he takes no blame for the Palace game. That is Amavi's fault)

I'm just playing the goalkeepers' union card and pointing out that the negatives are still greatly exaggerated, despite them being based on truth.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I wasn't sure!

I do know what you mean now, however I assure you if he had pulled off an "above average" save of late I'd have made a note of it, just as I will if Gestede ever scores again.

I like Brad, I really wanted him to turn it around. I'm sad that the vocal majority were correct in the summer. But as the players go I hold him right at the very top of those responsible for our plight.

I just remembered the Leicester winner too.

Goalkeeping howlers and goals scored by players are remembered far more than most other things by people - unless one is watching a specific player only.  I can remember Gestede's header against Bournemouth but I can't really remember any of the numerous misses he's made.  Maybe a header against Newcastle(?) that should've been better.

Irrespective - I agree that Guzan is in incredibly poor form and needs replacing/someone to be in competition with.  As much as Defoe took his first goal very well, I don't think the Guzan of 2 seasons ago would've been beaten there.

Ive a liverpool friend, who hates to see Villa in the state they are in believe it or not, but he cant get round how Guzan is a keeper for Villa.  He has been going on about this for two years to me. 

Anyway he made a good point today when i said he doesnt get any protection from the defense in front of him as they are shit.  He said that Arsenal fans had been saying that about their defense until Czech came in at start of season.  They now have a so called great defense, same one that was shit for past two years.

Happy days 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-pair-brad-guzan-7153637

Aston Villa fans have complained to the club after claiming Brad Guzan and Joleon Lescott both told them to “f*** off.”

The row in the second half of the Premier League basement side's 1-1 FA Cup draw at League Two Wycombe prompted skipper Micah Richards to intervene.

Richards pleaded with fuming fans behind the dug-out after they criticised subs Guzan and Lescott on the bench for their attitude.

The pair, who earn around £40,000-a-week, upset them by have a spitting competition to see who could propel chewing gum closest to the touchline.

3 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Happy days 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-pair-brad-guzan-7153637

Aston Villa fans have complained to the club after claiming Brad Guzan and Joleon Lescott both told them to “f*** off.”

The row in the second half of the Premier League basement side's 1-1 FA Cup draw at League Two Wycombe prompted skipper Micah Richards to intervene.

Richards pleaded with fuming fans behind the dug-out after they criticised subs Guzan and Lescott on the bench for their attitude.

The pair, who earn around £40,000-a-week, upset them by have a spitting competition to see who could propel chewing gum closest to the touchline.

Hopefully thats Guzan finally gone.  Cant stand the sight of him in a Villa jersey

6 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

Apparently Lescott won,Guzan's gum went out of play.

Lescott would've won but he left his gum completely unmarked, when he realises he's lost it he just stood, hands on hips looking exasperated whilst earning £40,000 for doing so

• Like 1

Â