Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I like Brad but this 'dip' in form is now dramatic. It probably wouldn't be so noticeable but half our players are competing for the 'falling off a cliff' award at the same time: Brad, Jack, Kieron, Gabby, Mica,..... ad infinitum. 

4 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Will say it again, worst keeper Villa has ever had.  We arent good but he has failed to make the saves he is being paid for.

Like Paul said that is OTT. We had a worse keeper playing for us when we finished 6th in 2007/08, didn't get magnified as much as we were so good going forward that year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

How bad do the other keepers at the club have to be not to get picked ahead of Brad at the moment? Surely the easiest way to earn a living in the world.

Well Jed Steer is playing every week at Huddersfield so he could be a contender to start next year or be number 2 no problem.

I would expect Bunn to start next week given it's a cup game, would be an easy way to ease Brad out of the team. Bunn isn't some rookie, he did play half a season for Norwich in this league in 12/13.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Well Jed Steer is playing every week at Huddersfield so he could be a contender to start next year or be number 2 no problem.

I would expect Bunn to start next week given it's a cup game, would be an easy way to ease Brad out of the team. Bunn isn't some rookie, he did play half a season for Norwich in this league in 12/13.

I think Bunn inspires about as much, if not less confidence than Brad if I'm honest. Not sure how Steer's getting on at Huddersfield but I think we'll need someone new to the club if we're looking to improve.

4 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Will say it again, worst keeper Villa has ever had.  We arent good but he has failed to make the saves he is being paid for.

InIbTeP.jpg

• Like 1

I would say Carson has been our worst in recent times, ironic when we finished 6th in his season here but we were so good going forward.

His confidence was shot after the England game and really he was unremarkable in so many aspects, crosses, decision making, even basic saves as so many seemed to go through him. Only thing he was better than Guzan at was ironically kicking the ball, he always struck it very cleanly. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

MLS beckons for Brad Guzan. He had one absolutely outstanding season under Lambert, followed by a solid, virtually faultless one, but from there it has descended into farce. 

It's a shame, because he's clearly a lovely bloke who actually likes the club and really cares, he hardly cuts the figure of someone who doesn't give a shit. But he really has lost the plot. Not only is his confidence shot, causing him to be extremely indecisive, poor at kicking and unable to effectively command his area, but it appears to me that his reflexes have dropped off a bit, he's starting to look a little shot. 

He just can't play at this level anymore and I really hope he makes a move to a less difficult league so he can still have a decent career and represent his country. I like Brad a lot, but he absolutely must be replaced, we just can't trust him anymore. 

This is an excellent post. He always has seemed like a player who works hard, likes the club, and acts like a professional. He also seems like a genuinely nice person, in a sport in which most players come across as idiots or douchebags. But we aren't a charity for aging footballers.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I would say Carson has been our worst in recent times, ironic when we finished 6th in his season here but we were so good going forward.

His confidence was shot after the England game and really he was unremarkable in so many aspects, crosses, decision making, even basic saves as so many seemed to go through him. Only thing he was better than Guzan at was ironically kicking the ball, he always struck it very cleanly. 

IMO I think Peter Enckelman is the worst number 1 we've had in recent memory, how he got the job in the first place was also ridiculous as it was just GT mk2 and Peter Schmeichel having a handbags at 20 paces spat.

7 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

I think Guzan's biggest problem is the lack of quality in front of him. He's more exposed then ever before and just like the rest of us he's got 0% confidence in his defence.

defence is shit but he is letting in weak goals, he got beat at his near post today. Goal against Norwich went through him same as Newcastle. 

Guzan is the heart of our problems

• Like 1

I think there are bigger failings to blame for the first goal than Guzan.  Richards went on walkabout, Lescott was beaten faaaar too easily and it was a powerful strike.  Guzan isn't blameless but he was left horribly exposed by those in front of him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I think there are bigger failings to blame for the first goal than Guzan.  Richards went on walkabout, Lescott was beaten faaaar too easily and it was a powerful strike.  Guzan isn't blameless but he was left horribly exposed by those in front of him. 

True enough, but it's a goal that many a team could have conceded, especially with the deflection. The second and third were pure Villa.

Guzan getting beaten at his near post shouldn't have happened. At that point the game was finely balanced and for a team bereft of confidence it really undid the good goal to get back into the game.

16 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

This guy has been poor for years...people who said he was in the top 3 in the league must have been watching a different keeper to me. 

Even in his 'better' seasons under lambert we conceded a shed load of goals.

Another great move by sherwood...make a 10mill offer for a top keeper, guzan then thinks he can't be good enough...then he gets a journeyman no.2 who is not a patch on given and will never threaten guzans place.

Baffling

Or maybe just maybe the board wouldn't section another signing. There are things Sherwood can be blamed for, but Guzan bring woeful is not one of them.

Â