Stephen Warnock

KSV

Regardless of personal opinion or what may or may not have transpired behind the scenes last season, it seems clear from Mr. McLeish's comments today that Warnock is very much his first choice left-back for this season so we may as well get used to the idea and support him. Find the form of 2009-2010 and he will be a very solid defensive addition to a team that played virtually the entire second half of last season with no orthodox left-sided full-back. Is never going to offer a great deal going forward but if he gets his defensive duties right then it enables the manager to use what funds he does have available to strengthen elsewhere.

The same goes for Luke Young at right-back. If both are consistent then we don't need to rush to spend money on replacements for at least another twelve months when hopefully the rest of the team is in better overall shape.

yeah, you have a point.

A settled back line of Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Young

with back-up of Clark, Cuellar, Beye, Baker, Lichaj.

It could be a pretty good defence if they get back to playing well, like the season before last.

Strange comments to make on this back four when we shipped goals for fun last season.

If we are to have any success this coming season then apart from Young, the other three should be sold and replaced!

I would be interested to know how many times they played together and how many goals they conceded as the first choice four last season.

He still cost us games (or at least points) at the end of the day. Some of his challenges were uneccessary and out of desperation.....most of which anyone in the ground could see coming a mile off.

Play him if our options are limited, but definitely needs replacing.

@shillzz

I don't think AM will even recognise Dunne and Collins as being shit, because I don't think AM is a very good manager.

Dunne and Collins aren't shit. Its only just over 12 months since they were a major part of the 4th best defence in the league conceding 39 goals over a season. In fact apart from a freak result at Chelsea where we conceded 7 we only conceded 32 goals in the other 31 games which is excellent.

also McLeish was a handy defender in his day so am sure he will recognise a rubbish defender

So warnock isn't a massive word removed who desperately wants to leave the club.

What a shock that is.

Thank **** houllier has left.

No slow down. It said the slate had been wiped clean. Which pretty much strongly implies there was some mud ON the slate in the first place. I think Warnock realised the big **** up he made and realised that a new manager meant a new chance to be grabbed with both hands. Houllier leaving definitely made Warnock try again, but that doesn't mean Houllier was the reason he screwed it up in the first place.

so the other defenders aren't very good because of last year but Warnock is?

The other defenders proved on the pitch that they had a poor season - and they ain't getting younger. Warnock threw the toys (allegedly) and wasn't on the pitch much. So it is different no matter what anyones opinion of SW is. The others were actually trying!

I'm confident given McLeish's comments that he'll be back to his best and back to the form he showed for us during his first 6 months here and during his time at Blackburn. If he is then that is easily good enough to get in to our team and most other teams outside the top half dozen teams in the Premiership.

so the other defenders aren't very good because of last year but Warnock is?

The other defenders proved on the pitch that they had a poor season - and they ain't getting younger. Warnock threw the toys (allegedly) and wasn't on the pitch much. So it is different no matter what anyones opinion of SW is. The others were actually trying!

Warnock threw the toys ....what about Dunne and Collins. Surely in the same boat.

If Warnock gets back to the form when he first arrived then great, but ive watched him for years at Villa and Blackburn, thoughs 4 months seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I never really rated him at Blackburn either.

Don't like him and don't rate him but if he is in the team i will back him. I'd rather we chucked a load of money on Enrique whos a top player and would be worth even more after a few good seasons here.

• 5 weeks later...
Â