Stephen Warnock

KSV

If we had money and RL was still investing then let him go but we're not in that position so we need to grow up a bit and move on. IF he's up for it then he's good enough for us, he put in a few excellent performances for us and several decent ones, for me that's proof that he is capable. If he and Ireland can play to their potential then that will be very good news for us.

So fans are willing to give Warnock a 'clean slate' who is God awful and slagged off our club (apparently), but Downing gets stick who played a part of our survival last season and now wants to further his career? What the hell? Some desperate fans around here.

He got in the World Cup squad because he was arguably the 2nd best English left-back at the time.

At worst, he was the 3rd best English left-back at the time (behind Cole and Baines.)

He was way better than Bridge.

I think that says more about the standard (or lack of) English LB's then anything else.

Said it all last season the only thing wrong with Warnock was having Downing in front of him, with Clowning gone we will see a great improvement

with all our full backs.

Said it all last season the only thing wrong with Warnock was having Downing in front of him, with Clowning gone we will see a great improvement

with all our full backs.

that is clearly not true, the reason why he was so poor is because he couldn't play a game without jumping into tackles and giving away stupid freekick that we often conceded from.

if he comes back and plays well then fair play to him but i doubt he will

He got in the World Cup squad because he was arguably the 2nd best English left-back at the time.

no he got called up because Baines was homesick and Wayne Bridge who was an England squad regular no matter how dreadful he is couldnt play in same team with Terry

no he got called up because Baines was homesick and Wayne Bridge who was an England squad regular no matter how dreadful he is couldnt play in same team with Terry

debating how good someone is based on England call ups is pointless. Emile Heskey was starting at the time therefore considered one of the two best english strikers.

To use Rafa terminology:

He was excellent for Blackburn. Fact.

He was very good for the first couple of months - until his injury around Christmas - when he came to Villa. Fact.

He was a lesser player when he returned from injury BUT no-one I have seen on this site seems to be able to explain this. Fact.

He was pants last year under Ged until he was dropped. Again, I haven't seen any plausible explanation for this. Fact.

If he can recapture his Blackburn and early Villa form he will be an asset for us. I think McLeish's defensive abilities - he did wonders with Ridgewell at LB - could be of great importance here. I'm sure we're all hoping for this because then we will have a capable LB in a problem position for us. Hope!

i think he had a mardy cus he wanted to play centre mid or something along them lines, wasnt that his natural position?

I think he came through as a LB at Plop but had played CM for Blackburn on occasion. I am pretty sure he was bought to VP to play LB. Maybe he spent too much time in the "I don't want to play LB club" alongside Luke but this would be a bit bizarre for a LB.

Alex McLeish has praised the "phenomenal" attitude shown by Stephen Warnock as the full-back looks to stake his claim ahead of the new campaign.

Warnock slipped down the pecking order last season under the previous regime but is hoping to get a fresh opportunity under new boss McLeish.

And the manager insists Warnock has done his chances of earning a first team recall no harm after impressing on the training field in the past week.

The 29-year-old former Liverpool and Blackburn defender enjoyed a superb first season in claret and blue after moving from Ewood Park in August 2009.

His excellent form propelled him into England's World Cup squad as second choice left-back to Chelsea's Ashley Cole.

But a difficult start to 2010-11 saw him fall out of favour.

However, McLeish's "clean slate" policy means Warnock and other players who found themselves on the periphery last term will have the opportunity to impress.

"Stephen's attitude has been phenomenal and that's what I expect of top pros playing at a top level," said McLeish.

"He's trained really well. He played for England not so long ago and I think he's a terrific player.

"I need to see if he can be part of the future here.

"He has come back in and for me has staked his claim with his attitude alone."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2393192,00.html

Well if he can get Warnock back to the form we all know that he is capable of, it will save him the hassle of having to find a replacement.

I don't think its a question of not having the hassle of finding a replacement. Its about not having the cash to find a replacement.

I don't think we'll be signing any defenders this summer. It will be 2xmids and a GK.

Well if he can get Warnock back to the form we all know that he is capable of, it will save him the hassle of having to find a replacement.

I don't think its a question of not having the hassle of finding a replacement. Its about not having the cash to find a replacement.

I don't think we'll be signing any defenders this summer. It will be 2xmids and a GK.

Well we do have

2x RBs on the wage bill (Young, Beye - Cuellar can cover)

1x LB on the wage bill (Warnock - Clark can cover)

4x CBs on the wage bill (Dunne, Collins, Clark, Cuellar)

There's no point in signing anyone unless we move on Beye/Cuellar. Maybe get a young 'un in like Clyne as back-up.

I agree, he was great for the first half of his first season. He was also very good for Blackburn, so hopefully we can put the shit form for the entire defence last term down to Houllier and McAllister.

Well we do have

2x RBs on the wage bill (Young, Beye - Cuellar can cover)

1x LB on the wage bill (Warnock - Clark can cover)

4x CBs on the wage bill (Dunne, Collins, Clark, Cuellar)

There's no point in signing anyone unless we move on Beye/Cuellar. Maybe get a young 'un in like Clyne as back-up.

Yes agree it would be silly to spend when we don't need to be we also had these options available to us last season and the defence was a joke. I personally think we need to bring in at least one full back just to shake things up a little and to maybe get some of the inconsistent players playing again (Dunne, Collins)

Agree.

In principle, we can make do with the defense that we currently have at the club. Young, Cuellar & Lichaj can all cover right back, Warnock, Young & Clark can all take left back.

What we now NEED, is a midfield enforcer and a winger (Parker and Charles).

I'd look to replace Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Lichaj and Baye sooner rather than later. I can imagine there being suitors for all except Baye, who we seem stuck with. Bring in 2 CB's and a LB.

But Given the amount of rebuilding already required this summer might it not be prudent to not make further work for ourselves?

Â