Stephen Warnock

KSV

Steve the kids are not playing because McLeish wants to play it safe with experience. The kids, if let lose will attack and play with alot more creative punch and pace..Albrighton down the wings? Bannan in the centre? Clark going through for heads on goal? Makoun playing through balls to the attacking players? We have all seen it as Villa fans and know it can be done..

I disagree. Bannan is too lightweight and needs a minder. Makoun is classed as a kid? at 26/27? Albrighton is a shadow of himself and doesn't deserve to be in the side at the moment. Herd played well today. Gardner needs some experience, I'd loan him out if possible. Wiemann, Hogg have gone. Baker isn't ready, neither is Lowry. Lichaj is hot and cold in a very unforgiving league. I think you're either on another wind up or have far too much faith in the youth.

Apart from allowing the ball to bounce over his head up by the half way line late in to the game he had another solid game for us today. Good to see him back involved and showing the kind of form he is capable of. The defense as a whole has certainly improved since McLeish came in.
Yes but its come at a cost to our attacking play. Bent is isolated and gets very little service because the team is more focused on the defensive side of the game, rather than coming out to play and giving the fans a show..It wont last Mark and fans wont put up with this style all season. He will have to change his tactics at some point if he wants to win over the fans. Watching paint dry for 90mins each week for a lousy draw, is not worth your 40 quid ticket price..Fans want to see more goal mouth action, creativity, free flowing football etc

Steve the kids are not playing because McLeish wants to play it safe with experience. The kids, if let lose will attack and play with alot more creative punch and pace..Albrighton down the wings? Bannan in the centre? Clark going through for heads on goal? Makoun playing through balls to the attacking players? We have all seen it as Villa fans and know it can be done..

I disagree. Bannan is too lightweight and needs a minder. Makoun is classed as a kid? at 26/27? Albrighton is a shadow of himself and doesn't deserve to be in the side at the moment. Herd played well today. Gardner needs some experience, I'd loan him out if possible. Wiemann, Hogg have gone. Baker isn't ready, neither is Lowry. Lichaj is hot and cold in a very unforgiving league. I think you're either on another wind up or have far too much faith in the youth.

Bannan is an attacking player, so being lightweight dosnt really matter, agility and vision are the strengths we require from him..Makoun isnt a kid I Know but he is alot younger and more active to our attacking play than a 31 yr old Petrov. Albrighton just needs games to get his confidence back.And he did look lively against Hereford.

steaknchips, Herd put in at least 3 crosses into the box today? Two of them were excellent and gave their defence all sorts of trouble.
I was being sarky because Warnock(as an experienced LB) offered nowhere near what little Herd offered on the other flank..In other words our kids are performing "BETTER" than our has-beens.

Sarcasm doesn't work on this site :lol:

Equally, the kids are NOT working better than our has been's. How many kids are there in the starting 11? The kids, other than Clark are not yet up to a full season in the Premier league, hence the reason AM wants to bring in some additional experience.

Yet when they all played against Hereford they struggled.

And he did look lively against Hereford.

Mighty, second from bottom of the whole league, Hereford? I should think he would look lively against poor opposition. The game is not just about attacking. Bannan and the rest would have to put a proper defensive shift in too.

steaknchips, Herd put in at least 3 crosses into the box today? Two of them were excellent and gave their defence all sorts of trouble.
I was being sarky because Warnock(as an experienced LB) offered nowhere near what little Herd offered on the other flank..In other words our kids are performing "BETTER" than our has-beens.

Sarcasm doesn't work on this site :lol:

Equally, the kids are NOT working better than our has been's. How many kids are there in the starting 11? The kids, other than Clark are not yet up to a full season in the Premier league, hence the reason AM wants to bring in some additional experience.

Yet when they all played against Hereford they struggled.

Not really mate..I would say Hereford and their keeper defended for their lives..We played a decent game and made many chances. Guzan had very little to do all game. The problem we had was slight tweaks were needed here and there, maybe swapping Delph for Ireland would have gave Bannan a little more freedom, rather than him having to play a more defensive game alongside Makoun?

And he did look lively against Hereford.

Mighty, second from bottom of the whole league, Hereford? I should think he would look lively against poor opposition. The game is not just about attacking. Bannan and the rest would have to put a proper defensive shift in too.

Dosnt matter mate..Ive seen the best slip up against local lower league opposition, including the Man United's of this world..No need to put our players down when they play well, just because its "lower opposition".. Albrighton never put a foot wrong as was unlucky not to score..I dont care that it was "just Hereford" that we won 2-0 against....Its was "just Wolves" today at home,yet we failed to score..

thought he was good today.....

very committed and i particularly liked his desire to get to the ball first....

at least two attacks were set up because Warnock nicked the ball away from the opposition first....

sometimes it doesn't come off and he can get turned but today he didnt

Each game Warnock plays demonstrates a little more what a clueless arse Houllier was.

I disagree with this statement because even at the end of O'Neill's reign he was playing poorly, getting too many yellow cards and conceding too many fouls. He continued that form into the next season. It made sense to drop him at the time. He was part of a poor defense as a whole but Houllier didn't drop Dunne or Collins.

Personally, I think the reason why Warnock and the rest of our defence have conceded so few goals is due to us using a more O'Neill style of playing (definitely a positive in many respects, especially with our ambitions now). We defend deeper again and the back four have a lot more support. We won't be exposed as much as last season. There isn't as much space behind the defence now and this a good move as our back four isn't generally great at dealing with pace.

Each game Warnock plays demonstrates a little more what a clueless arse Houllier was.

I disagree with this statement because even at the end of O'Neill's reign he was playing poorly, getting too many yellow cards and conceding too many fouls. He continued that form into the next season. It made sense to drop him at the time. He was part of a poor defense as a whole but Houllier didn't drop Dunne or Collins.

So poorly he was selected as the back up LB for the World Cup squad ahead of the excellent Leighton Baines.

While it is true that his form dipped towards the end of that season it was largely due to him having played too much football and playing with an injury.

I've already posted a fairly lengthy post in this thread about Warnock and his return to form so I'm not going to repeat it but it is there if you want to read it.

I stand by my statement, the return to form of Warnock is in my view proof that Houllier was a clueless arse.

He dropped them against Wolves last season.. Also the reason behind dropping Warnock,I agree he was playing poor at the time..He isnt a great LB and hasnt done anything this season to change my mind on that..He is average at best. Hence the reason nobody came in for him when he was unsettled last season..McLeish plays him because he has too, as McLeish dosnt have the same balls Houllier had, in showing how high the standards need to be to take Aston Villa into the big time..Houllier was a man of action and wanted Aston Villa to be better, if it meant making an example of players who thought they were better than they were, then so be it..It was a case of "you show me how good you are and I will pick you"..."You act like clearing in the woods, I dont care how big you think your name is, you end up in the reserves"...You had to earn your right to wear the shirt under Houllier....You wasnt just granted it because of how experienced you think your past was...All great managers possess that quality, from Alex Ferguson to Ron Saunders..

He dropped them against Wolves last season.. Also the reason behind dropping Warnock,I agree he was playing poor at the time..He isnt a great LB and hasnt done anything this season to change my mind on that..He is average at best. Hence the reason nobody came in for him when he was unsettled last season..McLeish plays him because he has too, as McLeish dosnt have the same balls Houllier had, in showing how high the standards need to be to take Aston Villa into the big time..Houllier was a man of action and wanted Aston Villa to be better, if it meant making an example of players who thought they were better than they were, then so be it..It was a case of "you show me how good you are and I will pick you"..."You act like clearing in the woods, I dont care how big you think your name is, you end up in the reserves"...You had to earn your right to wear the shirt under Houllier....You wasnt just granted it because of how experienced you think your past was...All great managers possess that quality, from Alex Ferguson to Ron Saunders..

So because Warnock and Houllier didn't see eye to eye Mcleish should drop our only left back? :lol:

Warnock has been given a clean slate and rightly so, if he **** it up again i have no doubt that he will be dropped

• 2 weeks later...

He's been poor this season. He was poor at the end of MON's reign, he was poor for KMac, poor for what he played of Houllier's reign, and he's been poor for AMC's reign. So I don't think this is purely down to Houllier being a clueless arse.

Back to his absolute worse yesterday- clumsy, off the pace, lacking concentration. His biggest weakness is the lack of focus in his game... he might have that focus for a couple of games but when he's off (Often!), he is a massive liability- shocking passing, horrible tackles etc!

McCleish has little alternatives and has to play him (the high fee/transfer fee plays a factor also) but it's obvious he is a big weakness in our team.

Â