Stephen Warnock

KSV

Well if he can get Warnock back to the form we all know that he is capable of, it will save him the hassle of having to find a replacement.

I agree, he was great for the first half of his first season. He was also very good for Blackburn, so hopefully we can put the shit form for the entire defence last term down to Houllier and McAllister.

I think a combination of having no senior CMs for a while, which meant that the defence had a lot of extra work and was put under a lot more pressure, combined with taking the leash off Dunne and Collins in terms of discipline, left us in the shit.

I think Houllier expected them to act like adults whereas McLeish knows how to keep the lid on modern British footballers.

@shillzz

We need a Gk and a winger and a midfielder as a priority. I think it could be achieved, but it's academic because I don't think AM will even recognise Dunne and Collins as being shit, because I don't think AM is a very good manager.

@shillzz

I don't think AM will even recognise Dunne and Collins as being shit, because I don't think AM is a very good manager.

Dunne and Collins aren't shit. Its only just over 12 months since they were a major part of the 4th best defence in the league conceding 39 goals over a season. In fact apart from a freak result at Chelsea where we conceded 7 we only conceded 32 goals in the other 31 games which is excellent.

Dunne, Collins, Cuellar, Young, Warnock, Clark are all very capable defenders and I am hopeful we can do well defensively this season which will at least give us a base to build from.

Good news. Perhaps we can sell him if he stops giving away stupid free kicks and getting caught in possession.

we should be looking to sell him full stop.. i am not convinced he has changed because he hasn't ever looked "good" to start with.

I think a motivated back four of Dunne, Collins, Young and Warnock could potentially still be excellent.

Good to hear that Mcleish is having some influence on the dressing room and players who had drifted into oblivion are wanting

to make a mark.

He's a thoroughly fair minded, honest and decent bloke is McLeish and the players know exactly

where they stand, which they appreciate and respond to.

Hope he makes some on here eat their words!

(Disgusting that any so called Villa fan can call him McWank before we've even kicked a ball - that's appalling!)

@shillzz

I don't think AM will even recognise Dunne and Collins as being shit, because I don't think AM is a very good manager.

Dunne and Collins aren't shit. Its only just over 12 months since they were a major part of the 4th best defence in the league conceding 39 goals over a season. In fact apart from a freak result at Chelsea where we conceded 7 we only conceded 32 goals in the other 31 games which is excellent.

Dunne, Collins, Cuellar, Young, Warnock, Clark are all very capable defenders and I am hopeful we can do well defensively this season which will at least give us a base to build from.

I agree with Mark here

The defence didn't play well last season because they didn't understand GH and his philosophy. AM is more like MON and I think the defence will be back to how it was under MON

Dunne is too slow and Collins is poor all round, ditto Warnock. I think our defensive record up to the Chelsea thrashing was an anomaly. They will be better than last season as Houllier was useless, but they will continue to concede too many soft goals.

@shillzz

I'm fining myself agreeing with Mark quite a lot recently - which is disturbing me greatly.

I think a motivated back four of Dunne, Collins, Young and Warnock could potentially still be excellent.

Good to hear that Mcleish is having some influence on the dressing room and players who had drifted into oblivion are wanting

to make a mark.

He's a thoroughly fair minded, honest and decent bloke is McLeish and the players know exactly

where they stand, which they appreciate and respond to.

Hope he makes some on here eat their words!

(Disgusting that any so called Villa fan can call him McWank before we've even kicked a ball - that's appalling!)

I'd agree with this and add that they are all of the right vintage being around the 30 year old mark. Communication is also a big part of a fully functional back line and there wouldn't be a problem with that here. In all, a very solid looking back line, one I think that would be hard to improve (i.e. make more 'technical') without the lure of Champions League football.

Regardless of personal opinion or what may or may not have transpired behind the scenes last season, it seems clear from Mr. McLeish's comments today that Warnock is very much his first choice left-back for this season so we may as well get used to the idea and support him. Find the form of 2009-2010 and he will be a very solid defensive addition to a team that played virtually the entire second half of last season with no orthodox left-sided full-back. Is never going to offer a great deal going forward but if he gets his defensive duties right then it enables the manager to use what funds he does have available to strengthen elsewhere.

The same goes for Luke Young at right-back. If both are consistent then we don't need to rush to spend money on replacements for at least another twelve months when hopefully the rest of the team is in better overall shape.

Regardless of personal opinion or what may or may not have transpired behind the scenes last season, it seems clear from Mr. McLeish's comments today that Warnock is very much his first choice left-back for this season so we may as well get used to the idea and support him. Find the form of 2009-2010 and he will be a very solid defensive addition to a team that played virtually the entire second half of last season with no orthodox left-sided full-back. Is never going to offer a great deal going forward but if he gets his defensive duties right then it enables the manager to use what funds he does have available to strengthen elsewhere.

The same goes for Luke Young at right-back. If both are consistent then we don't need to rush to spend money on replacements for at least another twelve months when hopefully the rest of the team is in better overall shape.

yeah, you have a point.

A settled back line of Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Young

with back-up of Clark, Cuellar, Beye, Baker, Lichaj.

It could be a pretty good defence if they get back to playing well, like the season before last.

Warnock will be twice the player he was without Clowning in front of him

Actually that's a good point.

Downing was great going forward but unlike Ashley Young just wouldn't track back and cover his full back never mind tackle anyone!

I'm OK with the principle of him being given a chance. If money is tight, which I doubt, we do actually have more important priorities and whilst Young has done a good job coverering I'm sure he prefers being at RB. That then gives us Lichaj and Clark as cover with Beye being sold (hopefully).

Warnock seemingly acted like a cock but he's a decent player when in form and I agree with Tismyk he got naff all help defending from Downing.

Oh and finally spin on the OS about Warnock - treat us like grown ups please. If he's staying and is an integral part of the squad just say so.

yeah, you have a point.

A settled back line of Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Young

with back-up of Clark, Cuellar, Beye, Baker, Lichaj.

It could be a pretty good defence if they get back to playing well, like the season before last.

Strange comments to make on this back four when we shipped goals for fun last season.

If we are to have any success this coming season then apart from Young, the other three should be sold and replaced!

Â