Gym Routine

olboydave

Might try it come summer once the rugby season ends as just seen that it needs a five day schedule. I don't like to train Friday's or Sunday's as playing 80 minutes on the Saturday takes its toll.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It's what I started on, based on advice in this very thread.  It is brilliant.  I still kind of do my own version of it to this day.  It's a great way of getting a core strength because you start off very low and you increment 2.5kg at a time.  That's a barely perceptible increment until you start to get towards your limit, but quick enough that if you keep succeeding each time out then you'll be in the decent weights fairly sharpish.  Gives your body enough time to recover too.  Best advice as always is to use the early periods of low weight to fine tune your technique & form to perfection.  That way it's automatic when you're doing the heavier stuff.

There is absolutely no reason why (outside of injury reasons) why you shouldn't squat three times a week. It is why you start with a free bar, it is to allow you to get use to the workload. If the majority of new people to the gym stopped all the 4/5/6 day a week bs bodybuilder programs & just focused on the compound lifts in the long run everyone would be better for it. Anyone who says squatting x3 a week sounds a lot hasn't done it/couldn't handle it.

When you run starting strength or strong lifts you don't need to do any accessory work because you're working the main lifts, you don't need to be curling a dumbbell in a mirror when you can't even squat your own body weight (not aiming that at anyone) so get in the rack. When you focus on mainly Compound work over tones of isolation you can easily lift 2/3 days a week & make some amazing progress.

I started on starting strength, then mad cow till I ended up on wendlers 531. Those programs got me to being able to deadlift 255kg, bench 125kg, squat 215kg & strict press 100kg at my last comp, while not earth shattering numbers I'm still much stronger/bigger/faster than when I began:)

Edited by mightysasquatch
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Anyone ever tried the stronglifts 5x5 programme and have any feedback?

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I'm not sure about doing the big compound exercises in every workout and three times a week, somehow seems counterproductive.

I'm 4 weeks in doing it twice a week, First session Gave me terrible DOMS, took me nearly a week to recover, skipped squats on the second workout but did everything else. I've found that the first few weeks were too easy so started doing A+B every workout(might have skipped Deadlift once) and adding in Assisted dips/Pull ups. Doing all the lifts has got quite challenging this week and come time for dips/pull ups I've been running on empty.

I'm quite pleased with the progress over the last 4 weeks only doing 2 days, in this time I've gone from: 

Squat 30kg to 47.5kg

Bench 20kg to 40kg

Bent over row 30kg to 50kg

Overhead Press 22.5kg to 32.5(struggling here, haven't managed a full 5x5 without cheating, deload next week to try and push through)

Deadlift 40kg to 65kg

I'm finding the app quite useful, simple to use, tells you what plates to use for your weight and you once you put your set in it pops up with a rest timer. I also use Fitnotes as a back up.

Can anyone give me a few tips on Overhead press? I'm ok for a set or two but then I really struggle to not lean back/arch my back. I stop the rep as soon as I feel it happening but is there anything I can do to stop myself from doing it?

Started doing GVT on alternate weeks to 5x5 to A mix it up a bit and B try something new to help push through some ceilings.

It's not strict GVT as I'm not doing opposite exercises on same day but rather keeping to each day for a body part. Essentially it's just 10x10 with 5secs down 1 up.

Have to say I am really enjoying it. While it takes a long while in the gym the doms are quite unbelievable. Just done the second week and doms are just as bad if not worse than the last time.

Did legs on Wed and they are on fire today. Was planning to go climbing this afternoon which maybe interesting.

That's not really GVT then is it?

A key part of GVT is the frequency of training and the antagonising lifts in each session.

Sticking a week in between and messing with the exercises will give very different results I imagine.

Not saying it won't be beneficial mind...

This week ive hit my targets for the comp, 130 bench, 175 squat, 190 dead. I think theres more in the bench if my mindset is right on the day. I need to sort my diet out and get some good clean cals in and drink alot more water.

Soon as that comps over ill be on a strict cut for the summer

• Like 1

Can anyone give me a few tips on Overhead press? I'm ok for a set or two but then I really struggle to not lean back/arch my back. I stop the rep as soon as I feel it happening but is there anything I can do to stop myself from doing it?

What I would say generally is that if you ever find yourself struggling to keep form throughout a series then the weight is usually too high.

That being said, there are things you can do to try and keep your form for longer.

I try to tense absolutely everything on the overhead as hard as I can. Tense my torso (core), grip on bar as tight as you can which engages your forearms giving a surprisingly large boost. Make the grip as narrow as you can towards shoulder width so the lift is as straight up and using more core muscles as possible. Wider grip uses arms more and isn't good. Never let the bar rest at idle (at its lowest point between reps) because you'll hurt the wrist. Keep the wrists engaged at all times. Finally the lower back. The last thing I do before I start an overhead set is put hands on hips, lock my lower back straight and practice a back and forward motion using only my hips. Mark Rippetoe says any movement down there must come from hips and not from back otherwise you'll eventually injure yourself. I also tend to pump myself up more for the overhead than for any other compound. I tend to 'tear into it' because the nature of the beast is that the longer you take for a set the less likely you'll succeed. But always remember my first paragraph if all else fails. Perfect form at a lower weight is always way more beneficial than a ropey 'success' at a higher weight in the long run because otherwise you may not end up hitting all the right muscles.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, V01 said:

Very good video by Omar Isuf on pressing 

5 ways to increase your press 

http://www.jimwendler.com/2015/11/5-ways-to-increase-your-press/

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

This week ive hit my targets for the comp, 130 bench, 175 squat, 190 dead. I think theres more in the bench if my mindset is right on the day. I need to sort my diet out and get some good clean cals in and drink alot more water.

Soon as that comps over ill be on a strict cut for the summer

Sweet! Well done man.

• Like 1

That's not really GVT then is it?

A key part of GVT is the frequency of training and the antagonising lifts in each session.

Sticking a week in between and messing with the exercises will give very different results I imagine.

Not saying it won't be beneficial mind...

Yeah you are right it's just the reps/rounds/tempo I've borrowed and mashed into my own preferences.

Couldn't bring myself do it solidly for 1-2 months hence breaking it up with ye old faithful as I said it was really a experiment to try and break through some ceilings which albeit early stages seems to be working.

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

That moment when you try to bench press for the first time, and realise that the bar is actually kind of heavy. :blush:

mate, when i tore my pec, i was benching my 4th rep of 365lbs.....i only say this in that when i started back 3 months later i was lifting the bar and petrified!!

please do not stress bruv! the bar is heavy and you will get stronger.....sorry for a personal "me" story, but you got  this!

2 hours ago, mightysasquatch said:

Bought myself a Texas bar today, while my gyms pretty good having racks/trap bars/loads of plates/their commercial bars are kind of crap. Going to leave it there for when I lift

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/weights-bars/bars/texas-power-bars.html

Damn! I didn't realise bars could go for £365. Have you used one before?

Do you have somewhere safe to leave it at the gym? Be a shame if you had to wait to use it or if someone stole it.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Damn! I didn't realise bars could go for £365. Have you used one before?

Do you have somewhere safe to leave it at the gym? Be a shame if you had to wait to use it or if someone stole it.

It's safe where its stored & if anyone did happen to be using it I'd kindly ask them wtf are they doing haha I have my own clips as well & someone walked off with them recently.The guy was being a giant pretty douche about it....roid heads eh!!! Even funnier was that he wanted them for a f*****g z bar to do curls.

In all honesty it's kind of a budget Texas bar what I've bought. There's a Texas deadlift bar for £550 & a squat one for £630...dread to think what the rogue version runs for.

I've been lucky & lifted with a few world class lifters so have seen the better bars. There's a big difference when you have 200kg+ on a commercial bar to like the one I've just ordered. 

Edited by mightysasquatch
  • Like 1

That moment when you try to bench press for the first time, and realise that the bar is actually kind of heavy. :blush:

You're at the beginning of a journey. That's all. Everyone starts somewhere :thumb:

On 24 March 2016 at 18:00, Davkaus said:

it's 20kgs, not insignificant! When you first start benching, or I found this at least, you'll be having more of a tough time balancing the bar and keeping it moving in a straight line as opposed to being strong enough to actually move it. Fortunately if you stick at it that comes naturally really quickly. 

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

Â