Gym Routine

olboydave

22 hours ago, BOF said:

Well I went back at it yesterday for the first time in a month

Oh the day 2 DOMS :crylaugh:  I could hardly put my coat on this morning.

Skipped last Wednesday partly due to the knee pain, partly due to having the shits. Came back on Monday and managed to get through my squats with a slight bit of discomfort, got it together last night though. I was sticking religiously to the feet shoulder width apart mantra and it doesn't work for me, shifting my stance a little wider has sorted the issue. 

Kinda mystified by my Bench Press this week, Monday after doing Squat, Overhead Press and Deadlift I did 50kg 5x5 pretty easily, last night 52.5kg 5x5 was a lot more challenging and I'd only done Squat, I would have expected to struggle on Monday if anything.

Getting confused about my grip too, Deadlift 75kg, grip is fine. Pendlay Row 62.5 kg and the 5th rep each set is hard to get out because my grip is failing. Why?

Got next weekend off work so I get an extra session :D 

My daily target is 2300 kcal, I tend to be under 2000 most days and then closer to 2300 on training days. Started using protein shakes this week, is there anything that says I should/shouldn't be bothering with them? I'm always under my target and they make it easier to boost my protein intake than regular meals which tend to be equal or higher in carbs. 

Edited by V01
extra question

I'm going to run a new 'strength' program this Summer. Needs to be then for me, my gym is so poorly equipped in terms of bench, squat and deadlifitng equipment that I can only really use that stuff during the quieter times which for a teacher is obviously the Summer.

Anyway, any suggestions......

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

5x5

Standard. It's what is was going to go with unless I could find something more convoluted. 

I actually want to maintain a decent amount of volume. I don't want to be going in and 1 rep maxing stuff. To me that's boring.

I ran Madcow 5x5 a couple of years back. 

I'm bigger now than I was back then. I look better.

But the PBs I set in that period of doing 5x5 are still my PBs now for Squats and Deadlift. I found it very easy to progress running that programme.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I ran Madcow 5x5 a couple of years back. 

I'm bigger now than I was back then. I look better.

But the PBs I set in that period of doing 5x5 are still my PBs now for Squats and Deadlift. I found it very easy to progress running that programme.

Can you remember your starting and finishing PBs?

Also how long did you run the program for?

I'm going from memory. I ran it for 10 or 12 weeks, and my PB on squat went from 125kg to 160kg and Deadlifts went from 140 to 175 (and those were sets of 3 so my 1RM would have been slightly higher, I never set one though)

Can't remember bench but it did go up significantly. I think I hit 110kg, but I've gone beyond that since.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

It must ALSO be said that I'm confident if I saw videos of those squats they wouldn't be as low as they should be, so maybe take that max with a pinch of salt. I'm not saying they were half squats or anything, I always tried to go parallel, but just comparing to how I feel these days when I squat, I would guess they were slightly high.

Yeah that looks right, although I don't understand how they've set out the reps. The way they've described it in the wordy bit sounds right, but I don't understand the 1x5 notation 

I'm looking to buy a new 7 foot Olympic bar; if anyone cares to recommend one I'd appreciate it.

I'm not at a level to necessitate spending loads (£250+) but thinking something along the lines of the CAP barbell (£100 I believe) but I'd prefer something with centre knurling if possible.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Making some very good progress - today I managed to match my new max squat, despite getting obliterated a couple of nights ago, it only affected my stamina not strength. 

Right now my max squat is 137.5kg and my max deadlift is now 177.5kg (both un-assisted i.e. no belt etc). So a 3 plate squat and a 4 plate deadlift is not too far away, given how tough the reps are at those weights I'll take it as it comes, perhaps in 2-3 weeks I will attempt to beat them. I weigh about 77kg (in the morning) so not too shabby.

My bench in comparison is pretty poor, I recently switched to flat barbell from an exclusively dumbell regime, at the moment I'm posting 90kg for 2. I've decided to add an additional day to my routine where I hit chest again and with a more focused shoulder routine (M-press etc). Hopefully this will deliver a better bench for me. That said I just think I'm more designed for squatting and deadlifting, I'm very much bottom heavy. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â