Gym Routine

olboydave

Did deadlifts today for the first time. And squats for the first time in seven years. Very intimidating exercises. I kept the weight low to get my form right. Got to 70kg squat and 60kg deadlift, which was OK I think. I'm pretty sure I was doing them right. They say not to round the back on the deadlift, but I think it has to be rounded slightly. Or to look a bit rounded. Nothing hurt and my lower back was on fire after the first one. So on fire that I thought I had done damage, but I'm guessing that was just because I hadn't used those muscles before. 

The squats I had the same problem as always. I'm a thin guy with very little cushion, so the weight sits right on my vertebra a lot of the time. I do manage to cushion it a bit with the trap, but the vertebra is there to be hit so I often hit it, and it might get a little bruised, but that's ok... I think? I'm ok with the pain of it really. 

Just got a text from a friend asking if I was snapping at the top of the deadlift. I wasn't really. He says tingling and numbness and hearing the vertebrae snap is what you want from a deadlift. I got some good walking on air sensations, but I put them down to endorphin release. 

It's easy to see why people really like doing deadlifts and squats. Today's feeling foolish and not being confident at doing it was an investment in getting really good at it. I'll never have to deadlift for the first time ever again. Looking forward to next week.

Edited by YLN

45 minutes ago, YLN said:

Did deadlifts today for the first time. And squats for the first time in seven years. Very intimidating exercises. I kept the weight low to get my form right. Got to 70kg squat and 60kg deadlift, which was OK I think. I'm pretty sure I was doing them right. They say not to round the back on the deadlift, but I think it has to be rounded slightly. Or to look a bit rounded. Nothing hurt and my lower back was on fire after the first one. So on fire that I thought I had done damage, but I'm guessing that was just because I hadn't used those muscles before. 

The squats I had the same problem as always. I'm a thin guy with very little cushion, so the weight sits right on my vertebra a lot of the time. I do manage to cushion it a bit with the trap, but the vertebra is there to be hit so I often hit it, and it might get a little bruised, but that's ok... I think? I'm ok with the pain of it really. 

Just got a text from a friend asking if I was snapping at the top of the deadlift. I wasn't really. He says tingling and numbness and hearing the vertebrae snap is what you want from a deadlift. I got some good walking on air sensations, but I put them down to endorphin release. 

It's easy to see why people really like doing deadlifts and squats. Today's feeling foolish and not being confident at doing it was an investment in getting really good at it. I'll never have to deadlift for the first time ever again. Looking forward to next week.

Um no, not at all, I'd stop asking this 'friend' for advice. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Um no, not at all, I'd stop asking this 'friend' for advice. 

Right.. turns out he was joking. It was a funny joke. I get jokes.

I'm curious what people's routines are when working out, with regards to when they do the big/heavy/compound exercises (squats/DL's/bench etc) during their session. Do people do them at the end and build up to them or earlier in the session and then do the lighter weight exercises afterwards?

I prefer doing them earlier as I feel my form is terrible if I do it at the end. 

I'm curious what people's routines are when working out, with regards to when they do the big/heavy/compound exercises (squats/DL's/bench etc) during their session. Do people do them at the end and build up to them or earlier in the session and then do the lighter weight exercises afterwards?

I prefer doing them earlier as I feel my form is terrible if I do it at the end. 

Deadlift squat bench i always do first. I will work up to my top set then work my way back down. Then ill do the secondary exercises afterwards

If your aim is to lift as much as you can then there's no real reason to do any of the big 3 at any time other than the start of your workout IMO (after warming-up etc.). It's when your glycogen stores are at their highest and you're likely to be at your strongest. A lot of bodybuilders like to 'activate' the muscle with isolation work or lighter compounds before hitting the big boys but then strength isn't their main goal.

If your only goal is aesthetic then there's an argument for saying that you don't necessarily need to dead lift or bench, anyway.

If I was to do my big compound lifts at the end I'd have very little left in the tank for them.  I do them at the start and finish off with lesser compounds and a few isolations.

Reason I asked was whilst looking for inspiration on how to mix my routine up, I'd seen a number of exercise routines online and they all had the big lifts at the end. Started to get a complex I was doing things backwards.

Reason I asked was whilst looking for inspiration on how to mix my routine up, I'd seen a number of exercise routines online and they all had the big lifts at the end. Started to get a complex I was doing things backwards.

I usually will work up to the top set so im working the muscle for the entire workout then max out and dropset.

For example i did chest today and it looked like this.

Cable Flys 4 sets of 15kg

Flat DBs

20kg x15

30kg x15

40kg x10

50kg x8

Dropset

40kg x10

30kg x5

20kg x8

16kg x4

Then i did incline press

4sets of 30kg x10

Incline flys

4 sets 14kg x10

Dips

BW x10 3 sets

Woah that's a shit-ton of volume. Probably unnecessary and counterproductive IMO. Unless you're, ahem, 'enhanced'...

Not really, ive always trained like that.

People dont train hard enough imo, i make sure i fully work the muscle before i leave, im not interested in just training for a pump.

Your GVT training is alot more volume isnt it?

Managed to hit 130kg squad (1 rep) today, really chuffed with that, although it's the ugliest rep I've done in a long time, pretty much got stuck half way back up but managed to drive it up some how. 

I've considered squatting with a belt and knee wraps but may hold fire as I think this will weaken me over the long run.

• Like 2

Managed to hit 130kg squad (1 rep) today, really chuffed with that, although it's the ugliest rep I've done in a long time, pretty much got stuck half way back up but managed to drive it up some how. 

I've considered squatting with a belt and knee wraps but may hold fire as I think this will weaken me over the long run.

Get ready for the DOMs lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Get ready for the DOMs lol

They were horrific last week as I didn't train the week before due to illness. That rep really took it out of me, after I did 127.5kg and then 125kg both for one and struggled so I'm expecting big time DOMs. Will get the foam roller out tonight and give my legs a seeing too with it, should hopefully help me out.

• Like 1

They were horrific last week as I didn't train the week before due to illness. That rep really took it out of me, after I did 127.5kg and then 125kg both for one and struggled so I'm expecting big time DOMs. Will get the foam roller out tonight and give my legs a seeing too with it, should hopefully help me out.

Ive never used a foam roller, really need to invest in 1.

Ive got tight hamstrings ive heard they can help with that

5 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Not really, ive always trained like that.

People dont train hard enough imo, i make sure i fully work the muscle before i leave, im not interested in just training for a pump.

Your GVT training is alot more volume isnt it?

Nope. It isn't. Nowhere near. You've done 23 sets for one (relatively small) body part in that workout you posted. Excessive for natural lifters for several reasons. GVT is 13 sets, maximum, using two exercises (I've only done that program once, just to test it out, and that was over a year ago. I wouldn't do it again).

I don't like the term 'fully working the muscle' but taking it to mean what I think you mean, there's a big difference between that and over-working a muscle. As for 'people don't train hard enough', then I think that's a pretty big leap on your behalf. Just because they don't do the amount of sets you do, doesn't mean they aren't training at an equal or greater intensity or, quite frankly, smarter/more effectively. Volume does not equal intensity.

You say you're not interested in training for the pump but that's the whole point of such high-volume training...

If you've always trained like that then I'd suggest taking a step back. You'd see better results. I don't mean to be harsh but based on that routine, I would be pretty surprised if you are in decent shape and natural. Unless you have exceptional genetics :)  

I won't bother trying to convince you as I think we have polar opposite attitudes and approaches to training!

Nope. It isn't. Nowhere near. You've done 23 sets for one (relatively small) body part in that workout you posted. Excessive for natural lifters for several reasons. GVT is 13 sets, maximum, using two exercises (I've only done that program once, just to test it out, and that was over a year ago. I wouldn't do it again).

I don't like the term 'fully working the muscle' but taking it to mean what I think you mean, there's a big difference between that and over-working a muscle. As for 'people don't train hard enough', then I think that's a pretty big leap on your behalf. Just because they don't do the amount of sets you do, doesn't mean they aren't training at an equal or greater intensity or, quite frankly, smarter/more effectively. Volume does not equal intensity.

You say you're not interested in training for the pump but that's the whole point of such high-volume training...

If you've always trained like that then I'd suggest taking a step back. You'd see better results. I don't mean to be harsh but based on that routine, I would be pretty surprised if you are in decent shape and natural. Unless you have exceptional genetics [emoji4]  

I won't bother trying to convince you as I think we have polar opposite attitudes and approaches to training!

Tbh its what works for me atm, i go from low rep high weight to high rep medium weight. I only ever to that on chest and it works for me.

I didnt mean if people dont train how i train they're not training hard enough. I meant in general.

I think overtraining is very very hard to do imo.

4 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Tbh its what works for me atm, i go from low rep high weight to high rep medium weight. I only ever to that on chest and it works for me.

I didnt mean if people dont train how i train they're not training hard enough. I meant in general.

I think overtraining is very very hard to do imo.

Can't argue with any of that, really. Although I maintain that you could train a lot more efficiently, get better results (stronger, more muscular) and decrease the likelihood of injuries. 

Â