Gym Routine

olboydave

V01, all I'll say is keep working out with SL5x5 and don't weight watch.

If you're eating right and working out as you are the weight will fall off you. Weigh ins IMO are only to make you feel better about yourself, and could have the opposite effect if you've not lost as much as you expect.

So eat right, work out and feel good. B)

Only did it to have a starting point for where I am with assisted dips/pull ups. Started using My Fitness Pal to track my food, It seems with me overestimating everything I can't weigh exactly I'm still hitting below my calorie goal, I'm fairly confident any weight I don't lose/put on from here is muscle. It was also halfway through the night before my gym session when I weighed myself so some of it would have been food/water anyway.

Trying to keep doing every compound lift each session for as long as possible the dips or chinups at the end. Had absolutely nothing left both days last week, last reps took a few minutes of struggling to finish.

My motivation is quite high at the minute, Had one day holiday entitlement remaining so I picked a shift that would let me go to the gym, and structured my birthday week to start and end on gym days so I get an extra session compared to if if I'd took a orthodox week. 

On 8 March 2016 at 13:31, Dr_Pangloss said:

Might need to switch up my push routine. I've been making great gains on leg and pulling movements, but push is really grinding to a halt and perhaps regressing a bit. I can't quite connect the dots, I think I might experiment with chest twice a week. The only other explanation for lack of progress could be that I do my 'push' day a day after legs, perhaps heavy squatting the day before takes it out of me, I always feel tired the day after, so it could be a question of spacing. 

If your push strength isn't moving ahead train the hell out of your upper back/lats...whenever you push/pull as well. Don't just push one day/pull another. I can't say enough how training my upper back more made my bench/OHP better so don't limit yourself to thinking like the majority of people.

Also down sets are a great way of hammering home a lift at a reduced weight but it'll allow you to 1)get volume in on the given lift without over doing it 2)drill home the movement pattern. So say a OHP day on week 2 of the program o usually run would go something like

warm up sets (using a weight max)

40%

50%

60%

band pull aparts for total 100 reps between sets

work sets

70%

80%

90%

Set of pull/chin ups between each set 3x10-15 (or whatever you can do/or lat pull downs)

down sets (this is going back to our first work set of the day)

70% for 5 sets of 5 reps 

dumbbell rows/cable row between all sets.....whatever just do some tugging. 

Even on deadlift/squat days I do something for upper back. 

Here's a couple articles by Jim Wendler on how to bring up OHP/bench press...both push movements

http://www.jimwendler.com/2015/11/5-ways-to-increase-your-press/

http://www.jimwendler.com/2015/11/all-about-the-bench-press/

https://www.t-nation.com/training/my-favorite-upper-body-lift

What I listed was & is how I train my push/pull & its always gotten me strong for meets.

if you're benching I'd really recommend watching "so you think you can bench"on the youtubes by Dave Tate.

Edited by mightysasquatch
  • Like 2

If your push strength isn't moving ahead train the hell out of your upper back/lats...whenever you push/pull as well. Don't just push one day/pull another. I can't say enough how training my upper back more made my bench/OHP better so don't limit yourself to thinking like the majority of people.

Also down sets are a great way of hammering home a lift at a reduced weight but it'll allow you to 1)get volume in on the given lift without over doing it 2)drill home the movement pattern. So say a OHP day on week 2 of the program o usually run would go something like

warm up sets (using a weight max)

40%

50%

60%

band pull aparts for total 100 reps between sets

work sets

70%

80%

90%

Set of pull/chin ups between each set 3x10-15 (or whatever you can do/or lat pull downs)

down sets (this is going back to our first work set of the day)

70% for 5 sets of 5 reps 

dumbbell rows/cable row between all sets.....whatever just do some tugging. 

Even on deadlift/squat days I do something for upper back. 

Here's a couple articles by Jim Wendler on how to bring up OHP/bench press...both push movements

http://www.jimwendler.com/2015/11/5-ways-to-increase-your-press/

http://www.jimwendler.com/2015/11/all-about-the-bench-press/

https://www.t-nation.com/training/my-favorite-upper-body-lift

What I listed was & is how I train my push/pull & its always gotten me strong for meets.

if you're benching I'd really recommend watching "so you think you can bench"on the youtubes by Dave Tate.

Thats bang on advice. Some here would call that over training though.

I had similar advice on the upper back thing and it made my bench numbers go up, not massively but slowly.

35 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

I had similar advice on the upper back thing and it made my bench numbers go up, not massively but slowly.

It's not over training at all, if anything it's less than the majority gym bro's routines. It's hard to over train your upper back....also not to be a d*** about it but Wendlers advice & program is so popular because it works. but I know what you mean about people calling it over training, what they really mean is that they don't recover properly. Don't eat enough & spend to long in the gym.

i also take deload weeks every 7th week of lifting, sometime I deload every 4. There's a reason why you use a training max, it's to prevent you stalling & haulting progress. Constantly make tiny improvements 

Edited by mightysasquatch
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Ive agreed to do a comeptition at my gym, no massive strongman type event. Its just bench dead squat to give your max total.

Its at the end of this month so im training purely for those lifts until then

Then I'd really advise looking at a peaking program. Maybe to late now mind with it being end of month.

Then I'd really advise looking at a peaking program. Maybe to late now mind with it being end of month.

Yea its abit short notice now. Its not a serious competition tbh just the gyms strongest man as such. Hopefully ill get top 5 ill be happy with that

15 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Yea its abit short notice now. Its not a serious competition tbh just the gyms strongest man as such. Hopefully ill get top 5 ill be happy with that

Good luck man, maybe it'll give you the push to train for a proper meet! 

Not competing at all this year myself in the fed I lift in. Haven't been able to lift consistently due to some medical stuff & the wife is expecting our first :)

• Like 1

One of the lads from my rugby team has just been involved in an interesting gym challenge for charity.

http://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2015/11/30/59329/

The group of 12 people planned to lift 1,000,000kg between them within 24 hours.just doing bench, squats and deads.

With the guy from my club (one of the PTs) doing his bodyweight (125kg) x 1000 reps in total.

Don't know the full details of how they got on but I believe they achieved it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YGabbana said:

Ive agreed to do a comeptition at my gym, no massive strongman type event. Its just bench dead squat to give your max total.

Its at the end of this month so im training purely for those lifts until then

My best ever on each of those (kg) is 92.5 + 155 + 127.5 = 375 :blush:

• Like 1

My best ever on each of those (kg) is 92.5 + 155 + 127.5 = 375 :blush:

Atm im at 125kg bench 160 squat and 180 dead. I reckon i can push for 130 bench maybe a 170 squat and 190 dead

Not saying i will get those though, always good to set the target high

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YGabbana said:

Aimed at me I assume? I don't mean to bite again but I don't want my opinions to be misunderstood/misrepresented.

The routine mightysasquatch posted was completely different to what you were doing for your chest. In fact, in many ways, it's the antithesis of what you were doing. As he pointed out, the volume isn't even high. And if you look back through this thread I've written loads of times about the importance of upper back training and how you can't really do too much.

• Like 2

Â