Gym Routine

olboydave

On 18/11/2023 at 01:09, dubbs said:

Had my 1st month review with the trainer yesterday. Everything is going well but told him I wanted to strengthen my core because I suffer from a lot of lower back pain.  He knows I work in an office sitting down most of the day, so he explained it is probably caused by the group of muscles connected front and back to the pelvis.  Made me try and touch my toes, which I couldn't, then made me do some rather uncomfortable stretches, and after each repetition the amount of rotation around my pelvis increased a little.  He said he thinks by Wednesday I'll not have that back pain and my hamstrings should be less tight which all helps.

Again, want sure this was something I'd stick with but really enjoying it at the moment.

Had a similar lower back pain issue and convinced myself that it was hip related (as in radiating pain) so was doing lots of hip stretches. Then stumbled upon stretches for those pelvis muscles and it's been a real game changer. I can squat deeper than I've ever been able to and just basic picking stuff up is much easier. And of course that horrible pain has gone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, El Zen said:

Turns out the fractured finger needed surgery. Had the op yesterday and likely won’t be allowed any kind of lifting or a decent workout for a couple of months still. Going to have to do some heavy duty work in April and May now. 

Time to dig out the running shoes

16 hours ago, El Zen said:

Turns out the fractured finger needed surgery. Had the op yesterday and likely won’t be allowed any kind of lifting or a decent workout for a couple of months still. Going to have to do some heavy duty work in April and May now. 

Some studies have suggested just exercising one side of the body will still benefit the unused side. Could you jump on machines and only use your good hand?

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Some studies have suggested just exercising one side of the body will still benefit the unused side. Could you jump on machines and only use your good hand?

Absolutely. I’ll find some sort of alternative, I’m sure. I’m just a little frustrated at the stop-start nature of my gym routine over the past few months. 

18 hours ago, El Zen said:

Had surgery on my finger about 14 months ago. 
Only started back at the gym recently but the finger is giving me some issues.

Take care of it

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Quick query, any gym recommendations near the NEC? The girlfriend is into bodybuilding so we are heading to the Arnold Expo this weekend and will have to keep her routine? Looking for something with all the leg machines imaginable?

There's a couple of gyms in Sheldon, about 10 min drive from the NEC. There's a "gym group" and a Fitness First

They're your basic communal gyms, and are usually pretty busy, but would be better than nothing

There's a gym called Dino's a bit further towards Solihull. Far more spit and sawdust type place if she wants to keep it a bit more hardcore

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 1

On 13/03/2024 at 20:53, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Quick query, any gym recommendations near the NEC? The girlfriend is into bodybuilding so we are heading to the Arnold Expo this weekend and will have to keep her routine? Looking for something with all the leg machines imaginable?

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There's a couple of gyms in Sheldon, about 10 min drive from the NEC. There's a "gym group" and a Fitness First

They're your basic communal gyms, and are usually pretty busy, but would be better than nothing

There's a gym called Dino's a bit further towards Solihull. Far more spit and sawdust type place if she wants to keep it a bit more hardcore

Looks like some of the pros are using Dino's this weekend. They've posted some videos on TikTok of some of them there. Posted one of Sam Sulek training there as well

• Like 1

On 13/02/2024 at 15:08, El Zen said:

Lost 4kgs 🤦‍♂️

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Looks like some of the pros are using Dino's this weekend. They've posted some videos on TikTok of some of them there. Posted one of Sam Sulek training there as well

Failed to take your advice as she didn't like the description of old school equipment in Dino's, am currently in the foundry in Chelmsley Wood, it's grand but missing a couple of leg curl variation machines so I'm in trouble even though it's not really my fault. 🤦

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

You lost 4kg when not exercising? I usually put that on whenever I stop working out.

Yep. Losing those 4kg is a bad thing, though. I was at my ideal weight and all I’ve lost is muscle mass. 

7 hours ago, El Zen said:

Yep. Losing those 4kg is a bad thing, though. I was at my ideal weight and all I’ve lost is muscle mass. 

4kg of muscle mass is a lot to lose in only a few months, there's probably some water/fat in there too. I'm assuming that you're not completely inactive and you're still up and about?

The muscle should come back pretty quickly when you start lifting again. If it's just one hand with damaged fingers, try jumping on machines and just using the good hand.

A few tips and journals are linked in the below if anyone is interested:

https://jeffnippard.com/blogs/news/how-fast-do-you-lose-muscle-when-you-stop-working-out-how-to-avoid-it

"You can prevent muscle loss through training (even minimal bodyweight workouts) and diet (eating at maintenance calories and consuming sufficient protein)"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

4kg of muscle mass is a lot to lose in only a few months, there's probably some water/fat in there too. I'm assuming that you're not completely inactive and you're still up and about?

The muscle should come back pretty quickly when you start lifting again. If it's just one hand with damaged fingers, try jumping on machines and just using the good hand.

A few tips and journals are linked in the below if anyone is interested:

https://jeffnippard.com/blogs/news/how-fast-do-you-lose-muscle-when-you-stop-working-out-how-to-avoid-it

"You can prevent muscle loss through training (even minimal bodyweight workouts) and diet (eating at maintenance calories and consuming sufficient protein)"

Yeah, I’ll qualify it a little bit and say it’s probably a bit of water weight too as I’ve not been taking my creatine while I’ve been away from the gym.

I’m back in light training now, though, and back on the shakes, so I’ll hopefully start regaining a bit of mass soon. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Injury free now, so can resume full traning. Haven’t done any pull lifts at all for months, and have done very little overall too. I have to force myself back into a proper routine now, as I felt like a f***ing newbie in the gym yesterday. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2024 at 09:29, El Zen said:

Lost 4kgs 🤦‍♂️

I’ve put at least half back on, thank god. 

Anyone here ever tried any of the so-called Bruce Lee workout variants you can find online? I’ve done it a couple of times lately, and I don’t know how effective it is yet, but f*** me it’s brutal! 

Edited by El Zen

39 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’ve put at least half back on, thank god. 

Anyone here ever tried any of the so-called Bruce Lee workout variants you can find online? I’ve done it a couple of times lately, and I don’t know how effective it is yet, but f*** me it’s brutal! 

Glad to hear you're getting back to it and making progress. 

Not seen the Bruce Lee stuff, assuming it's very calisthenics based, maybe high volume and low rest times?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Glad to hear you're getting back to it and making progress. 

Not seen the Bruce Lee stuff, assuming it's very calisthenics based, maybe high volume and low rest times?

Yep, pretty much. 8 different sets of 10 reps each, then repeat it all. 

Thanks! 

Â