Gym Routine

olboydave

2 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Lost 28lbs in 40 days!

:blink: How in the name ... was that party bloat or something?  Or are you on the Karen Carpenter cutting diet?  That's 2 stone in less than 6 weeks.  Fuggin hell.

33 minutes ago, mightysasquatch said:

I've never butted in when someone's training no matter how awful it is. But when they walked out the barbell from the rack forwards I had to say something.

I did that once for 2 kids who were clearly on their first visit and just going around having a shot on everything.  You end up having to reverse the bar back onto the rack.  Lethal if you've a decent weight on it.

To this day I continue to be baffled by the amount of guys squatting fairly heavy weights (>100kg) on the spongiest trainers you can imagine :bang:  That's another thing @Davkaus.  Don't squat or deadlift (or any compound lift requiring foot balance) on spongy trainers like Nike Air.  You don't have a solid base and you're constantly making miniscule corrections to your balance due to the sponginess.  You can tweak a back muscle etc and injure yourself.  You can either buy a pair of hard soled trainers or do it in stocking feet like many do.

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

:blink: How in the name ... was that party bloat or something?  Or are you on the Karen Carpenter cutting diet?  That's 2 stone in less than 6 weeks.  Fuggin hell.

I gave up booze for lent. Coupled it with a diet that has worked for me in the past cutting weight and carried on with my normal lifting routine and added some walking. Still lifting same weight so thankfully strength has not been affected!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BOF said:

I did that once for 2 kids who were clearly on their first visit and just going around having a shot on everything.  You end up having to reverse the bar back onto the rack.  Lethal if you've a decent weight on it.

To this day I continue to be baffled by the amount of guys squatting fairly heavy weights (>100kg) on the spongiest trainers you can imagine :bang:  That's another thing @Davkaus.  Don't squat or deadlift (or any compound lift requiring foot balance) on spongy trainers like Nike Air.  You don't have a solid base and you're constantly making miniscule corrections to your balance due to the sponginess.  You can tweak a back muscle etc and injure yourself.  You can either buy a pair of hard soled trainers or do it in stocking feet like many do.

Great advice, I use reebok lites...just ashame they have  crossfit plastered on them. But that's why God invented sharpies.

These were (different design though) my first pair of shoes

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/clothing-footwear/footwear/strength-shop-coyotes-weightlifting-shoes-white-black.html

Used them to my first couple of comps, great shoe.

If you have any doubts then just take your shoes off and do it in your socks. You might feel silly the first time you do it but you'll be suprised by how many people squat this way.

Wait on spending £50-100 on lifting shoes until you have been doing it a while and want to make a proper commitment.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Well shit, my  trainers have a squidgy Nike sole. 

I've read Converse are alright as they have a flat sole, and I have a battered pair of those lying around, think they'll do?

They're fine.

I use them sometimes. Mostly I have a pair of flat bottomed Nikes that I use.

Can't do it in my socks. Don't know why. Never feels right.

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Well shit, my  trainers have a squidgy Nike sole. 

I've read Converse are alright as they have a flat sole, and I have a battered pair of those lying around, think they'll do?

Converse are fine, the lites are kind of based on them but have a lip on the side of them as converse blow out on the sides eventually. But you'll be fine.

desdliting bare foot is fine, I use to pull that way. Wouldn't squat in socks, unless your gym floor has some decent grip...sitting back in socks on a slippy floor isn't a good idea.

9 minutes ago, mightysasquatch said:

Converse are fine, the lites are kind of based on them but have a lip on the side of them as converse blow out on the sides eventually. But you'll be fine.

desdliting bare foot is fine, I use to pull that way. Wouldn't squat in socks, unless your gym floor has some decent grip...sitting back in socks on a slippy floor isn't a good idea.

Socks and slippy floors is not a good idea, socks and pads/mats is fine though.

If the floor is slippy go barefoot.

14 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Socks and slippy floors is not a good idea, socks and pads/mats is fine though.

If the floor is slippy go barefoot.

Never forget the gym owner mopping the lifting platform between my squat session....absolute moron 

Edited by mightysasquatch

52 minutes ago, mightysasquatch said:

Never forget the gym owner mopping the lifting platform between my squat session....absolute moron 

Could've been worse, imagine if you were mid-squat and ATF and he did it.

It's what I started on, based on advice in this very thread.  It is brilliant.  I still kind of do my own version of it to this day.  It's a great way of getting a core strength because you start off very low and you increment 2.5kg at a time.  That's a barely perceptible increment until you start to get towards your limit, but quick enough that if you keep succeeding each time out then you'll be in the decent weights fairly sharpish.  Gives your body enough time to recover too.  Best advice as always is to use the early periods of low weight to fine tune your technique & form to perfection.  That way it's automatic when you're doing the heavier stuff.

You don't do each exercise 3 times a week.  You alternate all bar the squat.  So on the basis that you go to the gym 3 times a week, you be doing them all maximum twice a week, some of them once a week and only the squat 3 times.

Week 1 = A B A

Week 2 = B A B

etc

Week 1

Monday = Workout 1 : Squat, Bench, Barbell row (I substituted this for pendlay row as it's easier on the lower back)

Wednesday = Workout 2 : Squat, Overhead, Deadlift

Friday = Workout 1 : Squat, Bench, Barbell row

Week 2

Monday = Workout 2 : Squat, Overhead, Deadlift

Wednesday = Workout 1 : Squat, Bench, Barbell row

Friday = Workout 2 : Squat, Overhead, Deadlift

Week 3 reverts back to week 1.

I found that there actually weren't enough reps in those workouts so you pad them out with other stuff that you like.  For me things like bicep and tricep isolations.  Seated rows.  Maybe dumbbell shoulder press on the overhead day etc.

My advice would always be to do the big compound lifts first though, otherwise you risk not having enough left in the tank for them if you leave them until last.

I think I misread the intro and focused on the squat every workout and assumed it was same for everything. Was going to read it in full if people said it was worth doing.

Squat three times a week does sound a lot though.

Just now, Rds1983 said:

I think I misread the intro and focused on the squat every workout and assumed it was same for everything. Was going to read it in full if people said it was worth doing.

Squat three times a week does sound a lot though.

At the start you'll get bad DOMS from squats but it'll go away.  Nothing quite like squat DOMS :lol: If you find squats 3 times a week too hard going then tailor it.  But you won't find it that bad because you'll be starting off very light.  Empty bar light.  So by the time you are at the higher weights, you'll be long past the point of DOMS and you'll be more able to do it.  That's the beauty of stronglifts.  You have a core strength and a stamina built up by the time you get to the challenging weights :thumb:

Â