Gym Routine

olboydave

5 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Also a traditional gvt would be 10 sets of 10 no? So 100 reps? Ive done alot less there

Are you having a laugh?! You've done 110 reps on your last three exercises alone! In fact I just counted up 185 total reps, without including the flyes that you haven't listed the rep ranges for. 

Are you having a laugh?! You've done 110 reps on your last three exercises alone! In fact I just counted up 185 total reps, without including the flyes that you haven't listed the rep ranges for. 

A traditional gvt workout is still alot more reps though.

An example of 1 would be

BB Bench

10 sets of 10

Cable Xovers

10 sets of 10

Dips

3 sets of 10

Already well over what ive done there.

Can go around in circles on the subject, however, how i train works for ME along with my diet.

You're wrong there. That just isn't a traditional GVT workout. One exercise per body part for 10 sets, followed by another for 3 sets. Not that I'm defending GVT - it was a 6 week program that I've done once and am unlikely to do again. 

It's pointless argument, anyway. As I said before, based on your posts in this thread, we have polar opposite opinions on training and I disagree with 90% of the stuff you say. And I can tell that I'm unlikely to change your mind :).

• Like 1

You're wrong there. That just isn't a traditional GVT workout. One exercise per body part for 10 sets, followed by another for 3 sets. Not that I'm defending GVT - it was a 6 week program that I've done once and am unlikely to do again. 

It's pointless argument, anyway. As I said before, based on your posts in this thread, we have polar opposite opinions on training and I disagree with 90% of the stuff you say. And I can tell that I'm unlikely to change your mind [emoji4].

Exactly. If something works for me im not going to change it am i?

Different methods work for different people

Haha I just watched the start of the video you posted. Admittedly I didn't watch all of it but I think I could see where it was going. 

Following the advice of two professional, enhanced powerlifters/bodybuilders is not a very good idea. These guys are at the top of their field and what they do isn't the right thing for the average Joe.

The GVT workout I did, which as far as I know is the traditional one, was 10x10 for two exercises (supersetted together for antagonistic lifts, so back and chest supersetted together)

Then 2 accessory exercises done for 3 sets of 10 each.

So typically 260 reps a session.

I definitely saw results, but like JB I'm not sure I'd ever be in a hurry to do it again. It was hard and boring.

• Like 1

As for timing of the big compound lifts, I usually do that as one of my first exercise, but usually with a fairly light warmup exercise before hand, e.g. dips on chest day, light weight leg extensions on leg day, pull ups on back day etc

• Like 2

In my 2nd week of Stronglifts, approaching it as a complete beginner starting with the minimum weights. Apart from overdoing it on squats last week it's not particularly draining just yet.

As I'm only doing 2 days a week would I be better off doing all the exercises in every session while the weight isn't too high then scaling back to the regular workout when it gets heavy, or should I add in some accessory work instead? 

If it's adding in assistance exercises would Dips(assisted to start), Skullcrushers and Planks for workout A and Pull ups(assisted) Barbell curls and either Close grip bench/Hanging knee raise be a good choice?

Goal is losing fat and gaining strength for the short to medium term, not bothered about aesthetics at all until I'm closer to my target weight/size.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The GVT workout I did, which as far as I know is the traditional one, was 10x10 for two exercises (supersetted together for antagonistic lifts, so back and chest supersetted together)

Then 2 accessory exercises done for 3 sets of 10 each.

So typically 260 reps a session.

I definitely saw results, but like JB I'm not sure I'd ever be in a hurry to do it again. It was hard and boring.

I didn't find it as hard as I thought I would but it was very, very boring and some of my joints felt shit. 

Oh and just to clarify, I was referring to reps per body part - so it would be 130 reps each for chest and back respectively. Which is quite a bit lower than 200+ for chest alone in single session. I'll shut up and move on now :)

• Like 1

The bit I found hard was sticking to the rep timing.

The traditional routine was supposedly to do a 4-0-2 tempo. But to stick to that tempo for 10 sets of 10 reps was nigh on impossible lifting anything other than incredibly light weights. 

At 60% of my 1 rep max I couldn't stick to that tempo the whole way through and don't think I'd have been able to stick to it unless I lifted really really light weights. So that's the part I found hard.

Might need to switch up my push routine. I've been making great gains on leg and pulling movements, but push is really grinding to a halt and perhaps regressing a bit. I can't quite connect the dots, I think I might experiment with chest twice a week. The only other explanation for lack of progress could be that I do my 'push' day a day after legs, perhaps heavy squatting the day before takes it out of me, I always feel tired the day after, so it could be a question of spacing. 

Here's my Chest/Back day. I sort of made it up myself with an eye on the P90x Chest/Back day and a programme I'd been given by a gym back in the day. Thoughts?

Flat DB bench press 6-8 reps

Wide Grip Pull Ups 

Flat DB Flys 6-10 reps

Reverse Grip Pull Ups

Decline DB bench press 6-10 reps

Close grip pull ups 

Decline DB Flys 6-10

OHP 8-10

Incline DB Bench 6-10

DB Bent Over Row 8-10

Incline DB Flys 6-10

I've been of for 4 weeks with a flu that wouldn't go away. Started back Monday. Fancied a change so have shelved the SL5x5 for now and I'm having a go and lighter weights more reps with short 30 second intervals between them.

Man, it's totally killed me. DOMS! OH THE DOMS! Didn't think such a change would shock my body like it did

Squats 10x 40kg (x5)

Bench 10x 40kg (x5)

OHP 10x 20kg (x5)

DL 10x 50kg (x5)

Throw in some cable work (Crossovers, triceps pull-down, facepull etc...)

47 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Man, it's totally killed me. DOMS! OH THE DOMS! Didn't think such a change would shock my body like it did

On this subject, on Monday I hit a PR for squats and absolutely blasted my legs in general. But on the evening I got out the foam roller and ran that over my legs, I then spent about 20 minutes doing lots of different leg and core stretches, the net result was that I had virtually no DOMS the next day, it made a massive difference as I usually suffer badly from them, but this, I've discovered, is down to me being lazy post workout when it comes to stretching. 

Yeah I didn't do any on Monday so it was my own fault. Stretched more today and feel better. Tomorrow will be the test though.

The missus keeps squeezing my thigh and hurting me further. *cries*

Second week of the gym finished, I've been taking advantage of 5x5 starting at low weight to fit in both workouts every session instead of alternating. Can only manage two nights a week so my progress will slow down once it starts getting heavy. 

I've gone up on Squat from 30kg to 35kg (had to skip it last wednesday - doms)

Bench 20kg to 30kg

Row 30kg to 37.5kg

Overhead 22.5kg to 30kg

Deadlift 40kg to 50kg

I have had a bit of a setback though, I guessed my weight to be 130kg used the fancy scales at the gym before my workout and got a disappointing ticket

Age 34   Male

Weight: 20st 13lbs - 133.1kg

Height: 5'11.2" - 1.81m

Ideal weight: 9st 7 to 12st 12 - 60.6kg-81.9kg

BMI: 40.6

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 36.9%

Ideal: 14.5 to 24.5

Obviously not having an accurate starting weight I don't know if I've lost or gained since starting the gym so I'm treating it as a starting point. 

It's really hammered home how much I need to lose the weight, damn if it didn't me right in the feels though.

Â