Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

What constitutes a city? 

A city is a human settlement of notable size. It can be defined as a permanent and densely settled place with administratively defined boundaries whose members work primarily on non-agricultural tasks. 

Common population definitions for an urban area (city or town) range between 1,500 and 50,000 people, with most U.S. states using a minimum between 1,500 and 5,000 inhabitants. 

Wikipedia

But - for example - (also Wikipedia )

Exira is a city in Audubon County, Iowa, United States, along the East Nishnabotna River and U.S. Route 71. The population was 787 at the time of the 2020 census. 

My school had a bigger population than that! 

Edited by mjmooney

Any town in Britain that has a Cathedral, is considered a City. Ely, Wells and Salisbury, though all relatively small, are legally cities. St David’s in Pembrokeshire is Britains smallest city, with a population of just 1348. It has a Cathedral ergo it’s a City, bit bonkers really.

Edited by meregreen

9 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Any town in Britain that has a Cathedral, is considered a City. Ely, Wells and Salisbury, though all relatively small, are legally cities. St David’s in Pembrokeshire is Britains smallest city, with a population of just 1348. It has a Cathedral ergo it’s a City, bit bonkers really.

This is a historic trend that's no longer relevant really. There are a few cathedrals that aren't in cities.

And obviously for a very long time the inverse hasn't been true. Several cathedrals not in cities, and there are several cities that don't have cathedrals - Birmingham being the first to ever break that rule.

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

This is a historic trend that's no longer relevant really. There are now a few cathedrals that aren't in cities.

And obviously for a very long time the inverse hasn't been true. Several cathedrals not in cities, and there are several cities that don't have cathedrals - Birmingham being the first to ever break that rule.

And to top it off, Cathedral City is a brand of cheese anyway.

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

In the UK the Government can grant a town City Status. Cathedral was a past qualification. 

It's the Crown that actually does it, isn't it? Formerly Mrs. Queen and now Mr. King Charles. The guvmint obviously makes the recommendation, but the Monarch does the deed. At least I thought that was the case, from when Preston got Cityfied a few years back.

I think as well that there are "cathedral Cities" like Truro and Ely and so on as @meregreen mentioned - Dunno if all these smaller ones have ever been given the Royal nod, or they just kind of inherited it, because they're old and have a Cathedral.

• Like 1

I know lots of US places like to style themselves <something> City. But I suspect that was often done at least partially tongue-in-cheek, when it was a dusty little cowtown on the prairie. 

But if I was writing that Wikipedia entry, I'd be more inclined to start off with: "Exira City is a village in..." 

Edited by mjmooney

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I know lots of US places like to style themselves <something> City. But I suspect that was often done at least partially tongue-in-cheek, when it was a dusty little cowtown on the prairie. 

But if I was writing that Wikipedia entry, I'd be more inclined to start off with: "Exira City is a village in..." 

Throw in counties as well, I think Orange County is smaller than LA (basically the rich bits).

58 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Throw in counties as well, I think Orange County is smaller than LA (basically the rich bits).

Orange County is over 3 million people.   Hardly small and just a little smaller than the city of LA.   I think you'll find that almost any county adjacent to a large city is going to be smaller in population than that city, at least in the US.

• Like 1

I suspect many early settlements in the U.S. were called Gold City or whatever simply to attract people in. There wouldn’t have been many meetings of the local authority planning committee to make sure they had the correct nomenclature.

22 hours ago, meregreen said:

Guildford says Hello

We all love a Carry On Movie gif on VT, but does anyone actually watch those movies anymore?

I haven't seen one since I was kid but I imagine they're a pretty awful watch.

Got me thinking about old movies - they all seem so slow (even classics like ET, Raiders etc.) Are our brains just working faster these days?

20 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

We all love a Carry On Movie gif on VT, but does anyone actually watch those movies anymore?

Don't think I've ever seen one all the way through. I thought they were crap even when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2023 at 14:05, colhint said:

Are there more Traores playing football than Smith's 

Adama Traore once got subbed on for Adama Traore in a game for Mali. 

Neither of them were that Adama Traore

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Got me thinking about old movies - they all seem so slow (even classics like ET, Raiders etc.) Are our brains just working faster these days?

Even as a kid I thought they were shite

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I watch Carry on at your convenience every few months. It is  excellent parody of 70’s strike culture and very funny. Carry on screaming is also a classic 

• Like 4

Â