Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Years ago, when I first started reading VT, I used to equate (conflate?) a few posters together for whatever reason. Hard to articulate why. Maybe it was the temperament of a post, something they’ve alluded to in their day to day life, or possibly it was something trivial like two posters both saying this McCormack fella looks like he might be a promising signing.

Strangely, posters that have had similar usernames wasn’t really a factor in it.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Think that's the problem. I can remember the other Mods as that's L mod, that's O mod, that's N mod but I can never remember which B mod is which! I think I'm getting there though, one likes fantasy football and one likes gravy on fish and I think has strong feelings on the Beatles? 

Just realised I forgot @blandy

Sorry.

No wonder I'm getting confused with all the B-mods. 

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

..and they’re all bots.

Ask them about gravy or taxis or cars that go around and around and around until the Mercedes wins and they’ll give what superficially looks like a coherent answer.

Ask them how many traffic lights are in the squares and they’re ****.

But do they count the pole the traffic light sits on as part of the traffic light, or just the box the lights are in!? 

• Like 2

If I ever had a job interview at Google - how would this ever happen? - and they asked me how much I expected to be paid, I would start by invoicing the **** for all the unpaid labour I've done for their driverless car program.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

..and they’re all bots.

Not exactly rumbled...

On 27/11/2019 at 15:19, blandy said:

Even as a rudimentary janitor algorithm, with some human-like characteristics ( I like Jim Jarmush films and Tea), I can detect that the sound of this Queen music of which you speak, Pelle, is sub-optimal and requires significant correctorial adjustment.

tell user "Brian May's Hair"

if selection is not {silent} then

set sel to selection

with timeout of 0.001 seconds

repeat with allSongs by Queen

repeat with allAlbums by artists "Queen"

if existence of aSong is true then

set theDestiny to expunge to pit of fire of aSong

set expunge to pit of fire of aSong to the Abyss

end if

end repeat

end Queen

else

display dialog "Please never play that again..." buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1 with icon 2 giving up after 5

end if

end tell

• Like 1

Due to providing feedback on a service I have been gifted a £20 Amazon voucher. I mentioned that I was a little off for something I wanted in Amazon so my wife said well just buy it. Here are the facts I have omitted to her. The shortfall is £120. The item is a vinyl boxset. The boxset is by John Lennon. I have all the albums bar one on CD. She cares little for John Lennon. Do I tell her the complete story, or do I just buy it. Bickster, I know your answer and a third option isnt in the table. 

34 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Due to providing feedback on a service I have been gifted a £20 Amazon voucher. I mentioned that I was a little off for something I wanted in Amazon so my wife said well just buy it. Here are the facts I have omitted to her. The shortfall is £120. The item is a vinyl boxset. The boxset is by John Lennon. I have all the albums bar one on CD. She cares little for John Lennon. Do I tell her the complete story, or do I just buy it. Bickster, I know your answer and a third option isnt in the table. 

What only buy them as long as you melt them?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Is that the new Plastic Ono Band set? 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Is that the new Plastic Ono Band set? 

Its not even that. Its just the standard solo albums. I might test how she takes the initial value and get that plastic ono box thrown in. I adore that album. My favourite lennon album. 

I wonder how many cars are on the road are not taxed, MOTed or insured? 10%? Less?

From news reports I read about people being stopped breaking lockdown, its usually ended with the fact that the car wasn't taxed or insured or that the driver hasn't got a licence. 

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wonder how many cars are on the road are not taxed, MOTed or insured? 10%? Less?

From news reports I read about people being stopped breaking lockdown, its usually ended with the fact that the car wasn't taxed or insured or that the driver hasn't got a licence. 

I’d guess a Venn diagram of people who would drive 200 miles in lockdown to a house party and people who drive without tax or insurance is a perfect circle.

• Like 2

How is it that some songs completely pass you by? 

Absolute Radio has been playing a great song lately which I assumed was new, but retro sounding as I had never heard it before. 

I finally did a search on the lyrics today, and the song is Saturn 5 by Inspiral Carpets from 1994.

I actually quite like Inspiral Carpets and even own their album "Life" 

It was a number 20 hit.  I was probably flitting between Radio 1 and Radio 2 about then, or independent radio.  I was going to The ship Ashore which probably would have played a song like that a few times. 

Once I know it Inspiral Carpets it's actually obvious but I just can't grasp how I missed this song before.  It's happened with a few songs, I've only been acquainted with Yes by McAlmont & Butler in recent years, and Pixies, Here Comes Your Man is another. 

It just amazes me how these things slip through, music is such a ubiquitous thing, in bars and shops, on the radio and TV, in friends cars and houses.  

VT being VT I am waiting to be told how dreadful all these songs are because they are made by Bands who generally sell more than 1,000 copies of their songs. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Three cracking songs there @sidcow. I alternate between Absolute 80s / 90s / Radio X, as my daily background noise when working at home. Heard Saturn 5 a lot in recent months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

music is such a ubiquitous thing, in bars and shops, on the radio and TV, in friends cars and houses. 

My mileage varies. I tend not to use bars and shops that play unsolicited music. I never listen to pop radio or watch any TV programmes that play pop music, I rarely go in friends' cars or houses, and if I do they probably won't be playing music. I've successfully managed to avoid 99% of chart music for probably upwards of 25 years. So, not necessarily ubiquitous at all. 

Â