Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why it is whenever you see someone driving like an absolute helmet, there is a 90% chance the car will have a propeller, three pointed star or interlocking rings on the grille. 

Seen 3 examples of whopper behaviour today on the way to my folks. 

Duly noted. My propeller arrives on thursday. I will be referred to as a word removed I hope. 

Just now, Seat68 said:

Duly noted. My propeller arrives on thursday. I will be referred to as a word removed I hope. 

I thought you were a three pointed star?

I can talk, my last 4 cars have been one of those marques. I know i'm a word removed, but I hope I don't drive like one! :) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's always those and polo shirts, I always get polo shirts even though I haven't worn one since I was about 8 (I have a weird phobia of buttons).  Nobody seems to have noticed that they never see me wearing them.

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

My missus has the exact same thing. If ever I want to chuck her out, I'll just show her the tin of buttons that has been passed down the generation and is in the attic. She'll be up the road in a shot

Koumpounophobia apparently

This is quite interesting. Is it the “classic” button that’s an issue (circular, two/four holes in the middle for the thread)? Does it make a difference if the button is in use? Would the buttons on the fly of a pair of jeans - or just the top at the waist be a problem? Or because they’re more like studs (or “rivets” a quick search tells me), they’re not an issue?

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This is quite interesting. Is it the “classic” button that’s an issue (circular, two/four holes in the middle for the thread)? Does it make a difference if the button is in use? Would the buttons on the fly of a pair of jeans - or just the top at the waist be a problem? Or because they’re more like studs (or “rivets” a quick search tells me), they’re not an issue?

For my missus, its definitely just buttons.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I'm perfectly fine if I'm wearing a tie over a buttoned shirt, or I can manage a shirt without a tie if I'm wearing a jumper over it.  Flies are ok as the button gets covered by the flappy bit or my t-shirt.  I guess it's just exposed buttons I'm phobic of.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm perfectly fine if I'm wearing a tie over a buttoned shirt, or I can manage a shirt without a tie if I'm wearing a jumper over it.  Flies are ok as the button gets covered by the flappy bit or my t-shirt.  I guess it's just exposed buttons I'm phobic of.  

This is the weirdest thing I've seen in a long time.

EDIT: Is it actually a phobia, or just an OCD type thing? Like, I can't stand to see shoes put down with left and right the wrong way round. But it doesn't disturb me or anything - I just tut and switch them round. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Without wanting to sound flippant, would the film “Coraline” be a really stressful watch for you?

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

My missus is much worse than that. I was just telling her that someone on VT had a fear of buttons like her. Another two sentences about buttons from me and our daughter and she was pleading for us to stop talking about buttons, she doesn't even have to see one, the mere mention of buttons does it to her

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

My missus is much worse than that. I was just telling her that someone on VT had a fear of buttons like her. Another two sentences about buttons from me and our daughter and she was pleading for us to stop talking about buttons, she doesn't even have to see one, the mere mention of buttons does it to her

How the hell does she ever manage to dress? Buttons are ubiquitous. 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How the hell does she ever manage to dress? Buttons are ubiquitous. 

They really aren't. I'm not wearing any butttons on my clothes right now and I'm fully dressed. Hoodie with zip, T-shirt, Jeans with ametal button thing but not a button that you sew on. It's the four holes, sewn on variety that sets her off. TBH we rarely ever even think about it. For jeans though she tends to wear jeggings rather than jeans and leggings otherwise

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Certain cars attract certain types of personality. German Luxury Marques attract people who want an extra two inches on the width of their desk and a leather chair

This topic needs a thread

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Why it is whenever you see someone driving like an absolute helmet, there is a 90% chance the car will have a propeller, three pointed star or interlocking rings on the grille. 

Seen 3 examples of whopper behaviour today on the way to my folks. 

To be fair most examples of this are now either Seats, or VW's although you do still see a fair amount of BMWs being driven by idiots.  I drive a BMW by the way 🤣.

I personally think it has a lot to do with the lower end of these manufacturer's ranges now being sold at much more reasonable prices which means any dickhead can get one.   Previously they were only affordable to a narrower market. 

3 minutes ago, dubbs said:

To be fair most examples of this are now either Seats, or VW's although you do still see a fair amount of BMWs being driven by idiots.  I drive a BMW by the way 🤣.

I personally think it has a lot to do with the lower end of these manufacturer's ranges now being sold at much more reasonable prices which means any dickhead can get one.   Previously they were only affordable to a narrower market. 

I think it's a lot to do with salesy type people who tend to drive them. A lot of people in sales roles tend to be arrogant over confident types, it's part of the ability to do the role. 

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it's a lot to do with salesy type people who tend to drive them. A lot of people in sales roles tend to be arrogant over confident types, it's part of the ability to do the role. 

Thanks @sidcow I'm in sales 🤣.  

bring it ufc GIF by Conor McGregor

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is my mate. Very confident. BMW driver, salesman. Drives like an arsehole. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Absolutely. The marques aim to be more mass market has definitely had an impact. Plus cheap PCP/PCH deals. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Not just salesy people, any kind of criminal/scumbag drives them now. Funnily enough, this was the headline this morning on the Birmingham Mail website. As usual the driver had no insurance etc

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/speeding-audi-driver-ignored-models-19851157

Speeding Audi driver ignored model's pleas to slow down before serious Hodge Hill head-on crash

It seems like 90% of these stories involve particular brands of cars. 

I always laugh at the dudes and dudettes thinking their badass in the cheapest, smallest, lowest spec of the Audi, BMW, Merc world.

Like what's the point?

"I've got a BMW.." *smug*

"Which one?"

"The cheapest one, but it's still the same!!! :("

• Like 2

What I don't understand is whenever I order a curry to be delivered, the most common type of car they're driving is a BMW.  Maybe it's just my area but you would think if they earn enough to buy a BMW they wouldn't need a job on the side.  I guess they can't turn down the opportunity to grab some cash-in-hand.

Â