Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Yup

Oh wow.  I had no idea someone from Aswad was in that! 

Next you will tell me that Smiley Culture was in The Red Hand Gang. 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Madonna's acting career kicked off pretty much at the same time as her music career, She wasn't a big megastar when she was in Desperately Seeking Susan

Here's some more for you

Steve Martin - has 2 Grammy's purely as a musician (he has more but they involve comedy so shouldn't be considered)

Jenny Lewis, acted in loads of stuff before she formed Kilo Riley

Woody Allen is a very well know Jazz Clarinetist

Jeff Goldblum is a mean Jazz pianist

Jack Black - Wanna see how big the crowds are for Tenacious D

Zoey Deschannel - SHe and Him with M Ward

Juliette Lewis - Juliette and the Licks

Jamie FOxx - 4 albums that have charted (and countless duets with every rapper on the planet)

Miley Cyrus - lets not forget she started out as Hanna Montana

Ok, a lot of those, they’re not making waves (at least I don’t think they are), but they’re not derided like Russell Crowe’s foray into music might be. So fair enough. You probably could have thrown in Hugh Laurie too. From the outside looking in they’re “accepted”. Although I recall a Juliette Lewis interview with the NME saying how hard she found it simply because of her Hollywood background.

I think Miley Cyrus is a little bit of a cheat, as Hanna Montana school girl by day, pop star by night...at least I think that was the show was about....think it’s fair to say the plan was always to be a singer first and foremost. To me it would be like including S Club 7 in this because their kids show “Miami 7” technically came first. 

Jack Black, yeah ok I know he’s got a big music background and fanbase, but are Tenacious D not a comedy rock band? I actually don’t know. Because if you’re discounting Steve Martin’s comedy Grammys....;)

Edited by Mark Albrighton

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Anyone said keanu reeves yet? 

Was a bass guitarist in a band on the side for years 

Yeah, I did two pages ago. I’ve read an interview with the singer of Dogstar about the reception they often found because of their famous bassist.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think Miley Cyrus is a little bit of a cheat

Nah, HM wasn't her first show, she wanted to be an actress, the singing career came about because of HM, it was never part of her 11 year old plan

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Although I recall a Juliette Lewis interview with the NME saying how hard she found it simply because of her Hollywood background.

She'd be being disingenuous then. Her first tours were specifically sold by her agents to promotors because of who she was

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Jack Black, yeah ok I know he’s got a big music background and fanbase, but are Tenacious D not a comedy rock band? I actually don’t know. Because if you’re discounting Steve Martin’s comedy Grammys....

Well yes and no. The Steve Martin one's were SNL albums and SNL doesn't exactly go on world tours and fill stadiums, Tenacious D on t'other hand has become a musical entity in it's own right, much like The Monkees did

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Ok, a lot of those, they’re not making waves (at least I don’t think they are),

Jeff Goldbum's first album reached number 1 in the US Jazz Chart, 26 in the UK chart

Kilo Riley were a well respected US Indie band, Juliette Lewis also did vocals and toured with The Postal Service a hugely influential band

Jamie Foxx's second album went straight in the charts at number 2 and hit number 1 the following week

She and Him were nominated for a Grammy

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, HM wasn't her first show, she wanted to be an actress, the singing career came about because of HM, it was never part of her 11 year old plan

I was really thinking of the influence of her old man than Cyrus herself, that’s why I said “the plan” rather than “her plan”. But I’ll bow to your knowledge on the matter.

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

She'd be being disingenuous then. Her first tours were specifically sold by her agents to promotors because of who she was

I’m referring to an interview that was probably 15-20 years old, so the finer details will escape me. It was along the lines her having to work harder to be accepted from the rock crowd because of her already established fame. I assume she meant critically.

The others you’ve listed, yeah fine. For me personally there’s a slight nicheness about one or two of them, when comparing it to the success/acceptance/whatever you want to call it of say, Cher winning an Oscar for Moonstruck.

I did initially say there will be exceptions to prove the rule and there’s been some provided by yourself and others. I still feel that the transition from music to acting is generally a happier one than the other way round. 

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I was really thinking of the influence of her old man than Cyrus herself, that’s why I said “the plan” rather than “her plan”. But I’ll bow to your knowledge on the matter.

Her mother was the primary influence at first, she managed the acting career (shes an actress). Billy Ray only took over when the music career took off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Hugh Laurie seems to be gaining credability as a talanted musician. 

hugh-laurie-249425245.jpg

Hugh Laurie is indeed a bloody good musician. 

• Like 1

When an actor moves into the music field, particularly as a solo artist, the focus is all on them and the project generally succeeds or fails based solely on their musicianship, even if the session musicians or backing band are top notch.  I'd venture to guess that in most cases it's the actor who seeks out/hires the band or backing musicians rather than a bunch of talented musicians saying, "We could have a great band if only we could get Actor X to join us."  

Contrast that with musicians who try their hand at acting.   They usually don't start out in a role where they're relied on to carry the film (yes, i know there are exceptions).  Unless they're truly awful at acting, they won't get a lot of negative attention if the film and other actors are decent.  The ones who are bad probably don't get offered further roles.   The ones who are good do, and get noticed.

• Like 2

Why people collect old/retro shirts? I kinda understand if it's from a memorable season with a cup win or promotion or something but people seem to collect all 3 shirts for most seasons. I don't understand the appeal? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Why people collect old/retro shirts? I kinda understand if it's from a memorable season with a cup win or promotion or something but people seem to collect all 3 shirts for most seasons. I don't understand the appeal? 

Yes, well, if you're a member of the fatty bum bum fraternity buying shirts to wear isn't really an option. 

2 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Ha. No I'm not but I'm just giving my own take on not buying shirts.

I have just eaten fish, chips, sausage, mushy peas (side of gravy) followed by ice cream so I'm not sure I'll be wearing shirts for long! 

I buy one (and usually some training gear) each season just don't understand why people need all of them and ones from 20 odd years ago. What do they do with them? 

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I used to have the Villa shirts as a kid, i've still got them all in a box. Stopped when i was about 20 i guess. 

Wonder if they are worth anything. The Hummel one from 87-89 is still my favourite. 

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Yeah, what losers, who’d do that?

suspicious power starz GIF by Power

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â