Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Happy to see on the top of the page cause I have something that's bothered me for a while. 

What's the thing about people who read a lot, who think giving books as presents always is an acceptable gift? 

Okay, I'll use myself as an example. I come from a family of largely language teachers, journalists, with a small mix of lawyers and doctors. Fair to say they read a lot. I've never been part of the club. 

I'm the only one in that family that studied engineering. I read books, but I tend to read non-fiction, and I often buy books read a few chapters and drop it. I think of novels and what I read at home through a year is probably around a couple of books. I know it's kind of pathetic, but I read so much at work, from sheets, reports, R.A.'s etc. that I never ever feel like reading when coming home. I normally eat dinner and collapse.

Now here's the thing. My interests are wildly different than my family's. I like sports, outdoors, fishing, hunting, science, botany etc. But I would never ever EVER buy them a fishing rod, some new trainers, a tent or a chemistry kit. Because I have the mental ability to see that it won't be appreciated. 

So why on earth can't book worms stop giving books to relatives? Surely they can understand we are able to buy books ourselves if we want them?

I know it's a weird thing to rage about, but I'm so tired of every single Christmas and birthday to pretend you're happy about getting some rubbish book you already knew about but had no interest in reading. But we have to be polite about it cause it's letters and stuff that the intellectuals like. If it was the other way around and I gave my fat sister a gym membership, or my void of scientific knowledge family a class in geochemistry or a ticket to Villa park, they scoff at it and look weird at me. Fecking tiresome. Take your books and shove them up your arse. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Happy to see on the top of the page cause I have something that's bothered me for a while. 

What's the thing about people who read a lot, who think giving books as presents always is an acceptable gift? 

Okay, I'll use myself as an example. I come from a family of largely language teachers, journalists, with a small mix of lawyers and doctors. Fair to say they read a lot. I've never been part of the club. 

I'm the only one in that family that studied engineering. I read books, but I tend to read non-fiction, and I often buy books read a few chapters and drop it. I think of novels and what I read at home through a year is probably around a couple of books. I know it's kind of pathetic, but I read so much at work, from sheets, reports, R.A.'s etc. that I never ever feel like reading when coming home. I normally eat dinner and collapse.

Now here's the thing. My interests are wildly different than my family's. I like sports, outdoors, fishing, hunting, science, botany etc. But I would never ever EVER buy them a fishing rod, some new trainers, a tent or a chemistry kit. Because I have the mental ability to see that it won't be appreciated. 

So why on earth can't book worms stop giving books to relatives? Surely they can understand we are able to buy books ourselves if we want them?

I know it's a weird thing to rage about, but I'm so tired of every single Christmas and birthday to pretend you're happy about getting some rubbish book you already knew about but had no interest in reading. But we have to be polite about it cause it's letters and stuff that the intellectuals like. If it was the other way around and I gave my fat sister a gym membership, or my void of scientific knowledge family a class in geochemistry, they scoff at it and look weird at me. Fecking tiresome. Take your books and shove them up your arse. 

That's it.   You're off my gift list this year, you ungrateful git.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

That's it.   You're off my gift list this year, you ungrateful git.

I know it's a dumb thing to whine about, but it's puzzling to me. It's like people feel morally supreme when giving a book as a gift, cause everyone needs books or something. And you can't possibly not want books. And then they have to put zero effort into something a person might actually like. I like books, and books are what they are. You must like them, or you are mentally dead. That train of thought.

I see now I possibly should have put it in the pisses you off thread, but I honestly hoped some of the readers here (since we have that what do you read thread, I assume there are some heavy readers here) would explain this to me, cause I feel this is universal.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

They're trying to assert their perceived cultural/intellectual superiority.   Time to flex.  Give them an technical reference on data switches and routing next year.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Forget about actors getting into music. What about these guys? 

Diamond_Lights_cover.jpg

I posted this in another thread not that long ago. The current manager of a top eight premier league side, performing a live cover of a Del Amitri song on an ITV chat show.

Simpler times...

On 16/10/2020 at 13:36, Mark Albrighton said:

That the (at the time) current villa manager was on telly singing on a chat show hosted by an arsenal player.

More of the footage here, he seemingly followed on after a performance from All Saints -

Edited by Mark Albrighton

That line about "Not being able to see a current premier league manager playing guitar and  singing on a chat show"

kinda related

Jurgen Klopp and Die Toten Hosen (German Punk band in existence since 1982)

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I used to have the Villa shirts as a kid, i've still got them all in a box. Stopped when i was about 20 i guess. 

Wonder if they are worth anything. The Hummel one from 87-89 is still my favourite. 

From what I’ve seen on eBay, kids shirts don’t go for too much, but if you were going to sell them I’d recommend selling them now. Villa shirts seem to be fetching a lot more than they were a few years ago, quite a few people are collecting them at the moment.

• Like 1

There was of course Andy/Andrew Cole’s attempt at a pop career with “Outstanding” (a brief check suggests it was released in September 1999 reaching the dizzy heights of number 68 on the UK charts). It is terrible but sadly not in a “so bad it’s good” kinda way.

I actually distinctly remember them doing a piece about this on Football Focus, a little behind the scenes look of them making the video. When they came back to the studio it was met with the enthusiastic gusto you would expect from Lawro (“He’s just talking!!”).

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I know it's a weird thing to rage about, but I'm so tired of every single Christmas and birthday to pretend you're happy about getting some rubbish book you already knew about but had no interest in reading. But we have to be polite about it cause it's letters and stuff that the intellectuals like. If it was the other way around and I gave my fat sister a gym membership, or my void of scientific knowledge family a class in geochemistry or a ticket to Villa park, they scoff at it and look weird at me. Fecking tiresome. Take your books and shove them up your arse. 

I like reading but have a Kindle.  Every Christmas I walk past Waterstones window and just think 'yep, that's the cricketer's autobiography I'm getting off my brother this year'.  It's always those and polo shirts, I always get polo shirts even though I haven't worn one since I was about 8 (I have a weird phobia of buttons).  Nobody seems to have noticed that they never see me wearing them.

24 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Why people bother to bag up dog muck if they then just leave the bag behind? 

Isn’t the idea that they collect it when they’re on their way back? So they’re carrying it with them for the least amount of time?

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Isn’t the idea that they collect it when they’re on their way back? So they’re carrying it with them for the least amount of time?

Then why do I always see bags that have been left for weeks?

12 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That's just what they want you to think. 

Like when my mates car got hit in a car park.  There was a message on the windscreen saying "I've just hit your car and everyone round here thinks I'm leaving you my details.  But I'm not though, tough shit" 

• Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Then why do I always see bags that have been left for weeks?

Laziness, “It’s now someone else’s problem”, forgetfulness.

Distribute the ratio however you see fit.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Why it is whenever you see someone driving like an absolute helmet, there is a 90% chance the car will have a propeller, three pointed star or interlocking rings on the grille. 

Seen 3 examples of whopper behaviour today on the way to my folks. 

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

(I have a weird phobia of buttons)

My missus has the exact same thing. If ever I want to chuck her out, I'll just show her the tin of buttons that has been passed down the generation and is in the attic. She'll be up the road in a shot

Koumpounophobia apparently

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why it is whenever you see someone driving like an absolute helmet, there is a 90% chance the car will have a propeller, three pointed star or interlocking rings on the grille. 

Seen 3 examples of whopper behaviour today on the way to my folks. 

Certain cars attract certain types of personality. German Luxury Marques attract people who want an extra two inches on the width of their desk and a leather chair

Â