Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is one of Steven Spielberg's most famous movies, I haven't seen it, but not only that I've never even seen a trailer for it or seen part of it on TV or any clips of it whatoseover. Whereas there are other famous movies that I haven't seen but I've at least seen them in part in one way or another and know a bit about them through their prevalence in popular culture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is one of Steven Spielberg's most famous movies, I haven't seen it, but not only that I've never even seen a trailer for it or seen part of it on TV or any clips of it whatoseover. Whereas there are other famous movies that I haven't seen but I've at least seen them in part in one way or another and know a bit about them through their prevalence in popular culture.

There you go: 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

1) its an utterly dreadful film so you are in many respects a lucky man

2) I can't believe you have never seen the stupid scene with the stupid music, you must surely have heard it. 

I don’t watch many films ( I may have mentioned this lots of times). But Close Encounters is a favourite and one of the few that I’d watch relatively often, as in, once every few years.

As a counter to that, I can’t stand Marvel films (fascist master race bollix), and haven’t seen most of the Star Wars films or any of the Star Trek films.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

its an utterly dreadful film

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Close Encounters is **** brilliant.

I'm going down the middle here. Saw it at the cinema when it came out, and quite enjoyed it. But I never want to see it again. Decent, but inessential.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Close. It’s the Lennon? oh no! Box set 

I grew up listening to my father's Beatles records. I will always be fond of them. But I am pretty sick of the hero worship. Ultimately they have to be considered overrated. They were a fun pop rock outfit who were prolific and were part of the 60's zeitgeist. End of story.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm going down the middle here. Saw it at the cinema when it came out, and quite enjoyed it. But I never want to see it again. Decent, but inessential.

I saw it back then too and never watched it again. I suspect it hasn't aged well.

59 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thats fair enough,  but 'utterly dreadful'? Nah.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I saw it back then too and never watched it again. I suspect it hasn't aged well.

I watched it last year after not seeing it for 20 years or so. I much, much preferred it second time around. I really appreciated the story and as for Dreyfuss, he was just superb.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

I watched it last year after not seeing it for 20 years or so. I much, much preferred it second time around.

I might have to give it a try! I was probably 6 years old when I saw it.

Been a long time since I watched it. From memory I think “close encounters..” has a couple of iconic moments, the five note music scene being the obvious one. But like Mike, I’m never enthusiastic about rewatching it in the same way I would be about “Jaws”, say.

With regards to apparently popular songs that I’ve never heard, and by that I mean songs that I “should” know....I was at wedding about 7 years ago and when the happy couple’s first dance came on, I had literally never heard the song before. 

Turns out it was “Two hearts” by Phil Collins. Everyone else in the room seemed to know it and when I asked what it was I was greeted with various “You don’t know this song?!?” responses. 

Still to this day, that is the one and only time I’ve heard that song (well twice... I’ve just re listened to it to see if I recognise it now...still no).

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Probably been mentioned before but people with tourette's syndrome....why is it very often that bad language is used or insults ?

I have to confess to laughing at an Instagram clip of 5 sufferers meeting up and it's verbal outburst chaos.

I feel bad for laughing because i would hate to have the affliction and i can only wonder how much of an impact it has on many aspects of a person's life. 

Edited by mottaloo

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Probably been mentioned before but people with tourette's syndrome....why is it very often that bad language is used or insults ?

I have to confess to laughing at an Instagram clip of 5 sufferers meeting up and it's verbal outburst chaos.

I feel bad for laughing because i would hate to have the affliction and i can only wonder how much of an impact it has on many aspects of a person's life. 

Tourettes is a small town in southern France. I always picture the inhabitants going around shouting "Merde!" "Con!" "Putain!" 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I’ve wondered this previously, a quick search confirms that it’s only a small proportion of those diagnosed with Tourette’s that swear (a figure of 10% seems to be a common estimate).

The swearing Tourette’s (coprolalia, to give it it’s name) receives more of the attention for obvious reasons. I suppose it’s not completely dissimilar to watching “Rain Man” and assuming all autistic people have some savant style ability.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mottaloo said:

The condition has a habit of forcing out whatever the brain really knows is inappropriate at the time. Obviously swear words are common, but for example, it can be cruel enough to switch to shouting ‘BOMB’ if walking through an airport terminal. It must be hell for some sufferers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brommy said:

The condition has a habit of forcing out whatever the brain really knows is inappropriate at the time. Obviously swear words are common, but for example, it can be cruel enough to switch to shouting ‘BOMB’ if walking through an airport terminal. It must be hell for some sufferers.

I saw one documentary and it was a youngish girl, early teens at a guess, and she had a habit of when she saw a black person, would shout the n-word. You can imagine the reactions from people before they realised she had tourettes. They lived, from memory, in a fairly white area, in the home counties, but her Mom took her to a shopping centre in London on a day out. I felt so bad for her. 

Â