Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

36 minutes ago, BOF said:

It goes back to what I was saying last summer. The pandemic has rammed home how selfish people are. Maybe selfish isn't the right word. Rather unable to think of how their behaviour contributes on a large scale.

Those people littering probably just think "oh it's only one sandwich wrapper, that won't hurt" without realising that everyone is thinking the same thing so you end up with a shit load of litter.

I go back to the sunbathing question last summer when lots of people were saying "Why aren't I allowed to sunbathe in a park. I'd be on my own, not around any other people. it's perfectly safe" Without realising the obvious implications that if YOU were allowed then everyone is allowed, and suddenly you have parks full of people gathered to sunbathe, deliberately or not;

People don't seem to be able to comprehend the scale of these things

• Like 1

More and more people think they are untouchable in big groups.

I went to a local shop 2 weeks ago (in a bit of a dodgy area) and was amazed when I pulled into the car park that the pub next door had its music playing loudly and a large group of chav likes extremely pleased with the cold pints in their hands stood in the beer garden. 

Police car pulls up, not one of them flinched. They all looked very pleased with themselves. The kind of “good luck arresting us all” stare.

4 more police cars come in moments later, they soon dispersed.

This is what we see in parks and beaches, they know that if there’s enough of them they can do whatever the hell the like.

Humans are on the whole an extremely selfish breed. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because rounding up your purchase by 40p to give that extra charity is still a good thing to do even if you haven't personally chosen the charity. If you went to McDonalds and they were doing that for, I dunno, Teenage Cancer, you're hardly going to be "**** that, I haven't specifically chosen that charity so **** 'em!"

If it was a charity you really didn't want to give money to then you have the choice not to. You can still go and donate to the charities you have as a personal choice. Nobody is stopping you

(1) I'd rather big companies didn't take credit for other peoples' generosity

(2) Giving to charity per se is not a good thing to do, people really should research the choices they make. There are an awful lot of dubious charities out there, claiming to do good but actually doing harm

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

More and more people think they are untouchable in big groups.

I went to a local shop 2 weeks ago (in a bit of a dodgy area) and was amazed when I pulled into the car park that the pub next door had its music playing loudly and a large group of chav likes extremely pleased with the cold pints in their hands stood in the beer garden. 

Police car pulls up, not one of them flinched. They all looked very pleased with themselves. The kind of “good luck arresting us all” stare.

4 more police cars come in moments later, they soon dispersed.

This is what we see in parks and beaches, they know that if there’s enough of them they can do whatever the hell the like.

Humans are on the whole an extremely selfish breed. 

Surely that pub will lose its license ?

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Surely that pub will lose its license ?

Probably not, depends on previous history

There was a pub in Speke during lockdown 1 that remained open for those in the know, I think it took 3 separate breaches before licence revocation was even mentioned

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Its not okay but then this is why the council employ people who’s job it is it pick up litter.

Try to think of that as... this is why the council have to employ people to pick up litter, that they could be employing to do something far more useful to society as a whole instead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Probably not, depends on previous history

There was a pub in Speke during lockdown 1 that remained open for those in the know, I think it took 3 separate breaches before licence revocation was even mentioned

True. There’s a pub in Walsall that has lost its license but I think they breached several times. 

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

This isn't an original thought and isn't something that hasn't already been said on this very same page, but I just think it's worth reiterating. 

If you leave your litter in the park for someone else to clean up, you're an utter scumbag who deserves to be volleyed in the jaw.

What if you lose a tooth or spill some blood? who’s going to clean that up hey??

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Try to think of that as... this is why the council have to employ people to pick up litter, that they could be employing to do something far more useful to society as a whole instead.

I get that and I’m not justifying it but if people are going to get annoyed about leftover litter after large gatherings then I fancy people are going to spend much of the next 6 months or so being pissed off.

Sadly, litter is an inevitability after a large human gathering, particularly with younger folks and particularly when alcohol is involved.

You only need to see the back end of any music festival to know that.

To repeat, I’m not advocating for it but I’m just accepting the reality.

Music festivals are private events where you pay for your ticket and the organisers pay for clean up on the land they’re using - still scummy to leave your shit around but ever so slightly more understandable.

• Like 1

I very much hate people who litter - when I see someone wind down a car window and throw something out I usually want to run, grab it, and chuck it back in - but like @bannedfromHandV I think the sad but simple truth is that if we decide to get mad about every bit of litter for the next 6 months we'll never talk about anything else.

To be clear - litter is bad. People shouldn't litter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I don’t know if this is true and I know at least one forum member can answer me, I read when I was very young that not even aerospace engineers know for certain why planes stay in the air. As a kid I accepted that but now as an adult I think, well thats bollocks. 

Not heard that one before .. the closest one to it that i can recall from my childhood , was that technically bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly   .. this has been proven to be false as so many of our childhood myths are

to answer your plane question , planes can fly because of a careful balance of four physical forces: lift, drag, weight, and thrust. The lift force must balance its weight, and thrust must exceed its drag, to make flying possible. Planes use wings for lift and engines for thrust. Drag is reduced thanks to a streamlined shape, and lightweight materials.

• Thanks 1

Â