Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 01/03/2021 at 13:07, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m probably going to receive a lot of legitimate examples disproving this, but anyway...why is it seemingly more “acceptable” for a musician to have a stab at acting and have reasonable success, but an actor having a go at being a musician is more often ridiculed than it is acclaimed?

Justin Timberlake or Lady Gaga can attempt careers in Hollywood and it’s fine, but Scarlett Johansson’s singing career is a non starter. 

I know there are exceptions to this, but it seems to me it’s far easier to make the transition from music to acting than the other way round. Is it because musicians are held to a different standard, or there’s a question of sincerity maybe? 

Would be interesting to see how many of them came from the stage and not the screen 

I think johansson did a bit as a youngster but not much but part of that training I'm guessing is also being able to sing and dance, take Hugh Jackman as a better example, you can take the piss out of his greatest showman CD all you want but that is his main career, not wolverine, he's a Broadway stage actor / singer, that's part of his training 

Timberlake plus then also Britney, C Aguilera and Ryan gosling are all from that Disney thing, again they have to sing and dance and act... I think being able to perform at a young age can be so multi faceted that they don't always get the credit they deserve for being able to then use their money and fame to do anything they want later on in life

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Would be interesting to see how many of them came from the stage and not the screen 

I think johansson did a bit as a youngster but not much but part of that training I'm guessing is also being able to sing and dance, take Hugh Jackman as a better example, you can take the piss out of his greatest showman CD all you want but that is his main career, not wolverine, he's a Broadway stage actor / singer, that's part of his training 

Timberlake plus then also Britney, C Aguilera and Ryan gosling are all from that Disney thing, again they have to sing and dance and act... I think being able to perform at a young age can be so multi faceted that they don't always get the credit they deserve for being able to then use their money and fame to do anything they want later on in life

You can find the crux of my original point using examples in your last paragraph. Justin Timberlake, successful music career. Steps into acting, again, a success. Everyone’s happy for him to carry on with both. Ryan Gosling, incredibly successful acting career. How’s his music career going? Because he’s certainly had a go at attempting one. It’s “easier” going from music to acting than the other way round, I was just interested in why that might be.

It doesn’t always work out for musicians in Hollywood, I wouldn’t claim it does, as per your other examples. Britney had a go at it, didn’t work out. Don’t know about Christina’s attempts, if she did it didn’t work out.

Hugh Jackman can sell a load of soundtrack albums and perform sell out performances of “the greatest showman”, and I suspect do a fine job. But I don’t think the public at large would have the same enthusiasm if Hugh Jackman were to release an album of sensitive acoustic numbers that don’t have a film tie in.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

You can find the crux of my original point using examples in your last paragraph. Justin Timberlake, successful music career. Steps into acting, again, a success. Everyone’s happy for him to carry on with both. Ryan Gosling, incredibly successful acting career. How’s his music career going? Because he’s certainly had a go at attempting one. It’s “easier” going from music to acting than the other way round, I was just interested in why that might be.

It doesn’t always work out for musicians in Hollywood, I wouldn’t claim it does, as per your other examples. Britney had a go at it, didn’t work out. Don’t know about Christina’s attempts, if she did it didn’t work out.

Hugh Jackman can sell a load of soundtrack albums and perform sell out performances of “the greatest showman”, and I suspect do a fine job. But I don’t think the public at large would have the same enthusiasm if Hugh Jackman were to release an album of sensitive acoustic numbers that don’t have a film tie in.

Scarlet Johannsen has had a bit of success with the old warbling and has written a few of them herself

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Scarlet Johannsen has had a bit of success with the old warbling and has written a few of them herself

Yeah well I used Johannsen as an example previously. Depends on what you mean by “success”. I accept it’s apples and oranges to an extent, but I wouldn’t consider it the same level of success (or maybe “acceptance” is the word) in music as was achieved in acting by Cher, Bowie, GaGa, Whitney Houston, Johnny Cash, Ice T, Dolly Parton, Snoop Dogg, Meatloaf, Jennifer Hudson, Madonna....blimey even Sting.

Madonna's acting career kicked off pretty much at the same time as her music career, She wasn't a big megastar when she was in Desperately Seeking Susan

Here's some more for you

Steve Martin - has 2 Grammy's purely as a musician (he has more but they involve comedy so shouldn't be considered)

Jenny Lewis, acted in loads of stuff before she formed Kilo Riley

Woody Allen is a very well know Jazz Clarinetist

Jeff Goldblum is a mean Jazz pianist

Jack Black - Wanna see how big the crowds are for Tenacious D

Zoey Deschannel - SHe and Him with M Ward

Juliette Lewis - Juliette and the Licks

Jamie FOxx - 4 albums that have charted (and countless duets with every rapper on the planet)

Miley Cyrus - lets not forget she started out as Hanna Montana

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

She actually wrote one blinging Pop Song and I'd say she was better known for that than being resident on Ramsay Street

It was actually a cover version but never mind that YOU LEAVE NATALIE ALONE!!! 

She was my profile pic for my early years on VT. 

Edited by sidcow

Yes I would agree that Natalie Imbruglia is probably better known/more successful for “Torn” than her acting career (don’t forget “Johnny English”).

So with her and Kylie, “Neighbours” is actually doing more to counter my original claim than I had initially anticipated.

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yes I would agree that Natalie Imbruglia is probably better known/more successful for “Torn” than her acting career (don’t forget “Johnny English”).

So with her and Kylie, “Neighbours” is actually doing more to counter my original claim than I had initially anticipated.

And Jason and even Stefan possibly. Edit: and we also forgot that Kylie has a sister. Ok so it was Home and Away not neighbours but all the same

Â