Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would also like to tackle the 80s perception of being all about greed and money. 

I began my working life in the 80's and I can tell you now it was like working in a hippy commune compared to the 2000's onwards.  

The drive for profit and ruthless cost cutting today makes the 80's look like party time. 

I started work in 97 and have been at my current employer since 2002. 

It has changed a huge amount in that timeframe! More work required from less staff and that has been going on for years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Same

Lets push him a bit further...

He strikes me as the sort of lad that never worked out you could peel the coloured stickers off your Rubik’s cube.

That took my PB down to 3 minutes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hah.  No it's just been bugging me for years. It was my decade where I went from 10 years old to 20.  It gets such bad criticism and in my opinion mostly unjustified.  I don't go out of my way to criticise any other decade so it bugs me other people do. 

I do like a bit of 80's nostalgia. 

I love (late) 80's cars the most. Plus it was when I loved Villa the most as a kid. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He strikes me as the sort of lad that never worked out you could peel the coloured stickers off your Rubik’s cube.

That took my PB down to 3 minutes.

Why take the stickers off when you could buy one of the cheap knock off ones with a concealed screw in the middle, just take it apart and rebuild. Hey Presto, no half peeling stickers. 

No kid in the 80's could survive on the mean streets without knowing how to do spots and diagonals. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s kind of risks descending in to a ‘taste’ test, which we know I’d pointless, @tonyh29 is king of the taste test and he likes Big Country so its clearly a flawed methodology. The earlier point was that Beatles and Stones and Byrds weren’t acceptable sources or inspiration, which they demonstrably were.

I can quite happily cite that I was sat, head nodding, at Courtney Pine gigs and Jazz Warrior gigs in the 80’s, most people wouldn’t like it. But it was clearly new and different and not generic over produced pop.

All that diy lo-fi experimentation coming out of America, proper indie self recorded self released ethos in the 80’s with people like Calvin Johnson still going today.

Llwybr Llaethog started up in ‘86 / ‘87, absolutely brilliant stuff by them (about once every 10 years) and still going.

Lots of sixties influence, lots of innovation, just not to everyone’s taste. Which is fine. There will be no winners here.

Other than the people with actual original Llwybr Llaethog vinyl. They’re the winners.

Walked to Eastbourne today with the boy and after cockles and fish and chips on the beach we found a vinyl shop in town ... they had 2 big Country vinyl records in there £1 each ... clearly nobody in  Eastbourne has taste as they haven’t been snapped up 

the boy is the only one with a vinyl player in our house and he opted for the 12 inch single of Never Gonna give you up ( to annoy his sister ) , Rio Wakeman and  2001 space odyssey soundtrack ... not really relevant to anything but just thought I’d share the biysbweirdness 

21 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Walked to Eastbourne today with the boy and after cockles and fish and chips on the beach we found a vinyl shop in town ... they had 2 big Country vinyl records in there £1 each ... clearly nobody in  Eastbourne has taste as they haven’t been snapped up 

the boy is the only one with a vinyl player in our house and he opted for the 12 inch single of Never Gonna give you up ( to annoy his sister ) , Rio Wakeman and  2001 space odyssey soundtrack ... not really relevant to anything but just thought I’d share the biysbweirdness 

With or without gravy?

• Haha 1

On 27/06/2020 at 17:47, Xela said:

I started work in 97 and have been at my current employer since 2002. 

It has changed a huge amount in that timeframe! More work required from less staff and that has been going on for years. 

Standard office hours have sneakily shifted from 9-5 to 8:30-5:30.  Dolly Parton sounds like a right shirker these days.

50 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Standard office hours have sneakily shifted from 9-5 to 8:30-5:30.  Dolly Parton sounds like a right shirker these days.

When I take the boy to school in the morning we pass a bus that has “Woking 925 “ written on the front 

always makes me chuckle no matter how many times I see it 

D7DF40F4-A2C2-449F-93C7-1B63A92D7BDD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 28/06/2020 at 00:31, tonyh29 said:

Clearly.

On 28/06/2020 at 00:31, tonyh29 said:

Last time I was in Eastbourne I picked this up in a record shop for a quid. Still wondering what it sounds like. Might have to finally play it later (or I could just ask @Xann - I bet he's heard it). 

9C2ADA43-E165-4E73-B6A7-C8B8360F9A22.jpeg

Edited by choffer
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, choffer said:

Last time I was in Eastbourne I picked this up in a record shop for a quid. Still wondering what it sounds like. Might have to finally play it later (or I could just ask @Xann - I bet he's heard it). 

9C2ADA43-E165-4E73-B6A7-C8B8360F9A22.jpeg

They had this for £1 , was tempted to buy it regardless ... wonder if it’s the same shop 

BF3262AC-ED00-462A-810D-F16C78A039E9.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, choffer said:

Aye, I like some of their stuff.

On 06/03/2017 at 19:41, Xann said:

Los Indios Tabajaras - 'Amapola'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

They had this for £1 , was tempted to buy it regardless ... wonder if it’s the same shop 

BF3262AC-ED00-462A-810D-F16C78A039E9.jpeg

Now THAT, was a quality childrens program in the 70s 80s.

• Like 1

Â