Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Pedant alert, I’m fairly confident I have a friend

that once got done for eating an apple whilst driving. Done for not being in full control of the vehicle as they were holding an apple.

Yep that’s definitely a thing, it’s one of those things these new cameras they are trialing (in Somerset iirc? ) is meant to pick up

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Canada says "Hello". Or at least British Columbia does.

Drinking and driving is, of course, against the law. If you are driving a vehicle and your passengers have alcohol in open containers, they not only face a fine but you can be charged as well. 

link

Yeah but what is the definition of alcohol, given that the discussion was actually about drinking alcohol free beer and driving. See alcohol free in UK is under 0.5% by volume So you’d have to drink about 7 pints of the stuff in an hour to even be close to the blood alcohol level and even then only briefly

The chipshop down the road from me has a huge Lib Dems poster in the window for the local elections. I never thought a chippie would be Team Lib Dems, more oldskool Labour. Unless it's a chippy on the river, in which case they'd definitely be Tory.

It does beg the question, who would other High Street eateries vote for? Greggs gotta be Labour. Subway probably some kind radical hip left party. McDonalds probably MAGA.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah but what is the definition of alcohol, given that the discussion was actually about drinking alcohol free beer and driving. See alcohol free in UK is under 0.5% by volume So you’d have to drink about 7 pints of the stuff in an hour to even be close to the blood alcohol level and even then only briefly

Yes I agree ... but you did actually say, Well its not illegal to drink beer and drive. And you implied if you were under the limit it is OK. While it appears to be true in the UK it is not true in Canada. You can't even have an open beverage within reach so to speak, never mind whether one was drinking or not.

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

Yes I agree ... but you did actually say, Well its not illegal to drink beer and drive. And you implied if you were under the limit it is OK. While it appears to be true in the UK it is not true in Canada. You can't even have an open beverage within reach so to speak, never mind whether one was drinking or not.

Might this come under one of those “to any reasonable person” things?

Like if I flash my dick at someone but it’s actually a plastic dick, I could still get done for indecency or whatever the charge would be. Even though I didnt actually flash anything. Or if I held someone at gunpoint but it was a replica gun, I’d still get done for it

6 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Yes but neither I nor the person that asked the question were in Canada, so it’s kind of interesting but not relevant

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Depends on the mood of the police officer involved and the occupants in the car.

Canada has not quite got over the prohibition yet. 

20 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

In the UK you don't even have to be drive to be arrested for drink driving.  Just being in charge of a vehicle might be enough. 

I was awoken by a copper in the wee hours once in Plymouth while sleeping in my car and told exactly this. I'd put my keys in the boot though and that was enough to pacify the situation to a more reasonable 'carry on then but technically I could still do you if you can gain access to them'

I wonder if the same laws apply to @Seat68 (or other motorhomers) and his motorhome? I mean it's kind of the point there isn't it? Are they technically breaking the law to be drunk in a layby or (like me in the 90's) a council owned car park?

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I was awoken by a copper in the wee hours once in Plymouth while sleeping in my car and told exactly this. I'd put my keys in the boot though and that was enough to pacify the situation to a more reasonable 'carry on then but technically I could still do you if you can gain access to them'

I wonder if the same laws apply to @Seat68 (or other motorhomers) and his motorhome? I mean it's kind of the point there isn't it? Are they technically breaking the law to be drunk in a layby or (like me in the 90's) a council owned car park?

I believe if I am in possession of the keys I would be in trouble. If I am wild camping the keys are never on me. I have never had the police knocking on my door though. 

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Christ, didn't he have anything better to do like arresting illegal migrants? 

You can get points on your driving license for riding a bike drunk can't you? Even if you don't (yet) have a driving license. Not sure about scooters/skateboards/roller blades.

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

The law is there to prevent drink drivers.  Its a little perverse to require the Police to watch you drive off and stop you when that action could harm someone. 

To answer your question - the law relates to the "road".  A road is defined as an area where the public and their vehicles are normally allowed.  Being drunk in a lay-by or a car park is breaking the law.  A campsite where you have to book and/or pay an entrance fee would normally be excluded from that definition.  But if you are drunk and drive into someone on a campsite I would expect the local Police to arrest you and let a court decide. 

45 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

You can get points on your driving license for riding a bike drunk can't you? Even if you don't (yet) have a driving license. Not sure about scooters/skateboards/roller blades.

Definitely those electric scooters, people in Liverpool have been prosecuted on them

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Like if I flash my dick at someone but it’s actually a plastic dick, I could still get done for indecency or whatever the charge would be. Even though I didnt actually flash anything. Or if I held someone at gunpoint but it was a replica gun, I’d still get done for it

Things I'm  wondering now... is your dick a plastic dick?

8 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Things I'm  wondering now... is your dick a plastic dick?

I wish

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Definitely those electric scooters, people in Liverpool have been prosecuted on them

I was in court (on a professional basis) and a young lad was being prosecuted in the same court for drink driving on a mobility scooter. 

He'd got drunk and fancied a McDonald's before bed.  He hopped on his mom's mobility scooter and drove along the footpath to McDonald's where he parked next to a Police car.  The two officers were having a snack and got their easiest arrest of the night. 

His defence was:   It's not a car.  I was on the path.   McDonald's is private land.  

He was very wrong. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I was in court (on a professional basis) and a young lad was being prosecuted in the same court for drink driving on a mobility scooter. 

He'd got drunk and fancied a McDonald's before bed.  He hopped on his mom's mobility scooter and drove along the footpath to McDonald's where he parked next to a Police car.  The two officers were having a snack and got their easiest arrest of the night. 

His defence was:   It's not a car.  I was on the path.   McDonald's is private land.  

He was very wrong. 

I can think of a lot of humiliating things to get arrested for, but having to admit you wanted McDonald's so badly that it got you arrested is on another level.

22 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I can think of a lot of humiliating things to get arrested for, but having to admit you wanted McDonald's so badly that it got you arrested is on another level.

Pulling up in a space next to a marked Police car made me laugh.  

I bet they choked on their doughnuts. 

Â