Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 17/07/2020 at 17:05, Stevo985 said:

Well they filmed shitloads.

I remember because they weren't real. They did stuff like "Right everybody laugh!" and then filmed us

"Everybody clap and then talk to the person next to you like you're really impressed with the answer"

That shit

I went to a recording of Harry Hill TV Burp after getting rail roaded into it by my brother many years ago now.

At the beginning it was a good laugh, but **** me, the amount of retakes and different levels of laughs they record is just mental - plus all the other light up wording above you throughout the filming you have to play along too... "Applause"   "Laugh" etc.

I just remember by the time it got to the end of filming I couldn't wait to get the hell out of the place.

On 18/07/2020 at 09:44, villa4europe said:

Bear in mind that I'm 6 foot... 

Really nice guy, was checking in to the grand in Brighton, hotel was disappointing, breakfast was insanely good 

IMG_20200718_104323.jpg

Can it be considered social distancing if you're 2m away from his face?!

• Like 1

In the US the boot of a car is called the trunk. So on Teslas and cars with the engine in the rear, this front area which doesn't hold the engine and becomes extra storage space called a "frunk" - diminutive of front-trunk.

In the UK do you guys call the same space a "froot" ?

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

In the US the boot of a car is called the trunk. So on Teslas and cars with the engine in the rear, this front area which doesn't hold the engine and becomes extra storage space called a "frunk" - diminutive of front-trunk.

No but I do now 👍

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

It’s referred to as Frunk in my line of work.

• Thanks 1

On 17/07/2020 at 14:56, Seat68 said:

When I see a repeat of an old game show, or some such. Or even a drama. I think those people on it or in the background, at the time must all have sat, waiting, for their 15 minutes of fame. Do they know its been repeated on an obscure channel. 
I was on television once in 1987. Its a BBC show, a music show that is likely ever to be repeated. 

kinda related to the repeats' thing , My brother went out with the girl who played the  "pregnant German girl" in the episode of only fools and horses ,  she used to get sent royalty cheques in the post every time that episode was shown on "Dave" and such .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My wife is a fan of The Archers on R4. Obviously, I often wonder why she likes that shite, but that's not my point. Thing is, since the start of lockdown, they say they haven't been able to record episodes as normal, so have switched to an odd format with only one actor (presumably recorded at home) speaking at a time. Sometimes the old 'one end of the phone conversation' schtick, but more often an 'inner monologue' with the character speaking their thoughts aloud. But why is this even necessary? I can see that TV soaps like Corrie and East Enders have had to stop filming, but surely radio drama would be the easiest thing in the world to record using Zoom or a similar app? No sets, no locations, no camera crews, no costumes or makeup... all they ever do is stand around in a studio reading from their scripts, with the odd visual cue to each other. Add sound FX later. Absolute piece of piss on Zoom. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My wife is a fan of The Archers on R4. Obviously, I often wonder why she likes that shite, but that's not my point. Thing is, since the start of lockdown, they say they haven't been able to record episodes as normal, so have switched to an odd format with only one actor (presumably recorded at home) speaking at a time. Sometimes the old 'one end of the phone conversation' schtick, but more often an 'inner monologue' with the character speaking their thoughts aloud. But why is this even necessary? I can see that TV soaps like Corrie and East Enders have had to stop filming, but surely radio drama would be the easiest thing in the world to record using Zoom or a similar app? No sets, no locations, no camera crews, no costumes or makeup... all they ever do is stand around in a studio reading from their scripts, with the odd visual cue to each other. Add sound FX later. Absolute piece of piss on Zoom. 

Same sort of logic as the company that insisted workers WFH on zoom calls must wear a mask (I forget which largish company that was)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The obvious example being ‘Staged’ with Michael Sheen and David Tennant.

Except the Archers wouldn’t even need to pay any heed to lighting or backdrop.

Lockdown actually coincided with my final giving up on R4 and I think I feel a lot better for it. I was becoming more and more frustrated at the tone, the content and their absolute refusal to distinguish between ‘england’, ‘national’ and ‘britain’. All three being exactly the same thing in R4 land. 

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The obvious example being ‘Staged’ with Michael Sheen and David Tennant.

Except the Archers wouldn’t even need to pay any heed to lighting or backdrop.

Lockdown actually coincided with my final giving up on R4 and I think I feel a lot better for it. I was becoming more and more frustrated at the tone, the content and their absolute refusal to distinguish between ‘england’, ‘national’ and ‘britain’. All three being exactly the same thing in R4 land. 

I posted long ago in the Piss You Off thread about Mrs M's obsession with R4. I mean, there is the odd programme I enjoy, but my MO (as with TV) is "Switch it on for the programme you want, then switch it off". But her approach is basically radios on in several rooms, all playing R4, all the time. Watching TV in the living room - goes into the kitchen to make a cup of tea - turns on radio - returns to living room. R4 continues to distantly drone and witter on, so I sigh and go and turn the radio off. Happens several times a day, every day. Grounds for divorce, I reckon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I posted long ago in the Piss You Off thread about Mrs M's obsession with R4. I mean, there is the odd programme I enjoy, but my MO (as with TV) is "Switch it on for the programme you want, then switch it off". But her approach is basically radios on in several rooms, all playing R4, all the time. Watching TV in the living room - goes into the kitchen to make a cup of tea - turns on radio - returns to living room. R4 continues to distantly drone and witter on, so I sigh and go and turn the radio off. Happens several times a day, every day. Grounds for divorce, I reckon. 

Could be worse. Could be Kiss FM urban and dance anthems station. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Could be worse. Could be Kiss FM urban and dance anthems station. 

That wouldn't be grounds for divorce. That would be justifiable homicide. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pair of trousers / jeans doesn’t quite work but there are 2 distinct “legs”. 
Pair of pants / Pair of knickers... why is it a pair?

noun, plural pairs, pair.

Dictionary.com

Â