Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Why do Scottish people not even remotely try to flatten their accent or slow down a bit when speaking to Americans or non native English speakers?

Why can’t geordies sound more Canadian?

10 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Why do Scottish people not even remotely try to flatten their accent or slow down a bit when speaking to Americans or non native English speakers?

I know 2 Scottish people who spent years wiping out their accent when they moved to London. By the time I met them I would never have guessed either wasn't from London. 

In a professional setting maybe I would if the other party couldn't understand me but otherwise **** other people. 

7 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I know 2 Scottish people who spent years wiping out their accent when they moved to London. By the time I met them I would never have guessed either wasn't from London. 

In a professional setting maybe I would if the other party couldn't understand me but otherwise **** other people. 

The question is: how many (say) Londoners would try to sound less English and more Scottish when north of the border? 

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The question is: how many (say) Londoners would try to sound less English and more Scottish when north of the border? 

'Shove a battered Mars bar up my arse and call me Angus' is my best effort. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I often get accused of this when I visit our Edinburgh office with colleagues from down south. I’ve been in London for 20+ years so my accent has softened significantly. Two minutes off the plane though and I’m indistinguishable from a local. It’s no put-on though - I literally couldn’t use my southern voice if I tried once I’m among my fellow countrymen and women. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

performs worse at basic tasks than Spotify's website?

Yes, their handling of podcasts. Their app on phone and desktop aren't aware what the other has listened to. Laughable

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

Yes, their handling of podcasts. Their app on phone and desktop aren't aware what the other has listened to. Laughable

It's just everything. Website randomly crashes. Can't have two different playlists open in two different tabs, because switching between them will cause a tab to crash. Refreshing the playlist means the prior search is now inaccessible.

Just baffling that they have become a successful company IMO.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's just everything. Website randomly crashes. Can't have two different playlists open in two different tabs, because switching between them will cause a tab to crash. Refreshing the playlist means the prior search is now inaccessible.

Just baffling that they have become a successful company IMO.

I think I read somewhere that the percentage of users that use the desktop version is very low, so they spend much less time on its development.

I must admit, I very rarely use it, usually the iPad or iPhone app for me. Phone through bluetooth in the car and iPad through the streamer in the HiFi in the house

I also rarely listen to podcasts, even though Spotify keeps encouraging me

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is there any other website for a semi-successful business that performs worse at basic tasks than Spotify's website?

HBO's smart tv app. Makes me wanna chew rocks and drink paint. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

16 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

If I watch an old piece of film on tv,  eg 1982 Wimbledon final or similar,  I always wonder how many of the crowd in attendance are still alive now.

I think everyone does that though ?

My ex used to get teary if she watched a movie that had an actor in it who had subsequently died. It prompted the unforgettable line from her during one of the Batmans "It's just so sad watching him play The Joker because he doesn't even know he's dead in real life".

There's a reason she's my ex. ;)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

If I watch an old piece of film on tv,  eg 1982 Wimbledon final or similar,  I always wonder how many of the crowd in attendance are still alive now.

I think everyone does that though ?

When I see a repeat of an old game show, or some such. Or even a drama. I think those people on it or in the background, at the time must all have sat, waiting, for their 15 minutes of fame. Do they know its been repeated on an obscure channel. 
I was on television once in 1987. Its a BBC show, a music show that is likely ever to be repeated. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

When I see a repeat of an old game show, or some such. Or even a drama. I think those people on it or in the background, at the time must all have sat, waiting, for their 15 minutes of fame. Do they know its been repeated on an obscure channel. 
I was on television once in 1987. Its a BBC show, a music show that is likely ever to be repeated. 

5NEWsavileglitter1110.jpg?width=1000&hei

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I went to a filming of Pointless years ago. They filmed two episodes. Plenty of shots of the crowd.

I've never seen it on TV. I do often wonder how many people have seen my mug on TV and I have no idea

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I went to a filming of Pointless years ago. They filmed two episodes. Plenty of shots of the crowd.

I've never seen it on TV. I do often wonder how many people have seen my mug on TV and I have no idea

I don't think I've ever seen a crowd shot in pointless.

• Like 1

Â