Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

5 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I don't think I've ever seen a crowd shot in pointless.

Well they filmed shitloads.

I remember because they weren't real. They did stuff like "Right everybody laugh!" and then filmed us

"Everybody clap and then talk to the person next to you like you're really impressed with the answer"

That shit

On 12/07/2020 at 01:14, Wainy316 said:

Why do Scottish people not even remotely try to flatten their accent or slow down a bit when speaking to Americans or non native English speakers?

I do, unless I'm drunk or have just taken heroin.  Then I forget.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

I‘ve put it on now specifically to look for @Stevo985

All I remember is the final part was a question about German districts or counties or something. And the couple had lived in Germany for ages so they absolutely annihilated it.

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I was on television once in 1987. Its a BBC show, a music show that is likely ever to be repeated. 

Similar story I think I've told on here before, I nearly decked Carol Dekker on a BBC Midlands music show (around 81 or 82 iirc), thats likely to be never repeated either

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

All I remember is the final part was a question about German districts or counties or something. And the couple had lived in Germany for ages so they absolutely annihilated it.

That's my problem with pointless, I can watch the show and enjoy it all the way through right up until the point where the final couple pick an absolutely shite category that I have no interest in 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

If I watch an old piece of film on tv,  eg 1982 Wimbledon final or similar,  I always wonder how many of the crowd in attendance are still alive now.

I think everyone does that though ?

When I watch the Wimbledon 1982 and the like final I remember my Tacchini, Cerutti 1881, Fila clobber and the diadiora Borg elite kangeroo skin trainers. A casual dream

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That's my problem with pointless, I can watch the show and enjoy it all the way through right up until the point where the final couple pick an absolutely shite category that I have no interest in 

Every time that 'military history' or '1950s jazz albums' comes up in the list, I get quite excited - and then they inevitably grimace and pick 'Marvel movies' or some such.  :(

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Bear in mind that I'm 6 foot... 

Really nice guy, was checking in to the grand in Brighton, hotel was disappointing, breakfast was insanely good 

IMG_20200718_104323.jpg

Hmmmm, Idea for thread, posters who look a bit like their avatars

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Every time that 'military history' or '1950s jazz albums' comes up in the list, I get quite excited - and then they inevitably grimace and pick 'Marvel movies' or some such.  :(

It used to wind me up no end, I’d get all snobby about how they always pick the film or tv or celebrity category on any quiz show. Then one of my nippers pointed out, they are people that watch afternoon tv quiz shows, their interest is being on tv. That it would be odd if they were more immersed in a different subject, like the history of Bakelite, or Russsian wheat production in the 1960’s.

That had never occurred to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

We call it the North Sea because it's a sea to our North. What do the various Scandinavian countries call it?  

Nordsjön, so same same :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

We call it the North Sea because it's a sea to our North. What do the various Scandinavian countries call it?  

Not sure you’ve started in the right place with this.

It was originally called The Northern Ocean by the Romans as it was north of their territory. Then it was probably called the North Sea by the Dutch, because it was North of them.

We’ve likely adopted the name from others, not named it the North Sea because it’s to the East of us.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

When I was a kid growing up in Norway we called it the moat.😉

• Like 1

Â