Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

38 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Liverpool have won the league and the government are paying people not to work

Is there a Scouser with a lamp and a genie out there somewhere wondering what to do with his last wish ?

They got their sympathy. Stuff em.

Just how many detention blocks did The Death Star have? 

Princess Leia was held in block AA 23.  That suggests there are at least a minimum of 27 x 23 = 621 blocks even assuming for some reason the numeric numbering stopped at 23 and the alphabet numbering didn't go beyond AA, both of which seems unlikely, it would be a hell of a coincidence if she just happened to be in the last number block alphabetically and numerically. 

Unless she was the very first prisoner and they were filling the detention blocks up backwards I guess. 

Anyway, it just seems like a really huge number of detention blocks to me. Especially as they seem to prefer the killing option most of the time. 

On 02/07/2020 at 01:56, Withnail said:

What I wonder is why Google sold Boston Dynamics in 2017?  It just seems that it would have been a perfect company for them. I guess there is something I am missing.

Probably because the products don't work anything like they do in the adverts. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Princess Leia was held in block AA 23.  That suggests there are at least a minimum of 27 x 23 = 621 blocks even assuming for some reason the numeric numbering stopped at 23 and the alphabet numbering didn't go beyond AA, both of which seems unlikely, it would be a hell of a coincidence if she just happened to be in the last number block alphabetically and numerically. 

Unless she was the very first prisoner and they were filling the detention blocks up backwards I guess. 

Anyway, it just seems like a really huge number of detention blocks to me. Especially as they seem to prefer the killing option most of the time. 

Earth/Western alphabet?

11 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Not often but sometimes. Why don't you here any debate about motorsports and climate change? As Im not interested they should start racing with electric cars instead.

You do and they do. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Not often but sometimes. Why don't you here any debate about motorsports and climate change? As Im not interested they should start racing with electric cars instead.

Formula one now has 1.6L hybrid engines. 

I wonder how long companies that should be able to have their employees work from home will be able to use COVID19 as an excuse for their shit service. 

You're an online only service. Surely emails can be replied to from literally anywhere.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder how long companies that should be able to have their employees work from home will be able to use COVID19 as an excuse for their shit service. 

You're an online only service. Surely emails can be replied to from literally anywhere.

There was a report in Meaning Evil recently about the terrible state of The Rotunda. Its in a real mess, windows and cladding missing all over, other windows discoloured or damaged. 

I've noticed it for months.  The management company blamed Coronavirus for stopping repairs.  Yeah right.  I bet it will only have got worse 12 months from now. 

On 03/07/2020 at 21:21, sidcow said:

This is a very thought-provoking question!

My immediate reaction is that 621 prison blocks doesn't seem like all that much for something the size of a planet. But I have to agree with you, it is hard to understand why they needed much in the way of prison space if the only 'people' on the battle station were programmed storm troopers, and nobody else could get on it. And they certainly don't seem averse to a summary execution, as a rule.

In fact, the population of the Death Star is also confusing. Even if workers just lived in the uppermost few layers, to achieve the population density of workers seen in the corridors, there would have to be a population of many billions. But what do they actually do all day? I get that building the Big Gun must have been a job, but once that's done, what are they up to?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is a very thought-provoking question!

My immediate reaction is that 621 prison blocks doesn't seem like all that much for something the size of a planet. But I have to agree with you, it is hard to understand why they needed much in the way of prison space if the only 'people' on the battle station were programmed storm troopers, and nobody else could get on it. And they certainly don't seem averse to a summary execution, as a rule.

In fact, the population of the Death Star is also confusing. Even if workers just lived in the uppermost few layers, to achieve the population density of workers seen in the corridors, there would have to be a population of many billions. But what do they actually do all day? I get that building the Big Gun must have been a job, but once that's done, what are they up to?

"That's no moon, that's a space station." - Obi-Wan-Kenobi.

It's a planet killer but only the size of a moon.

<pedant>

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

But what do they actually do all day? I get that building the Big Gun must have been a job, but once that's done, what are they up to?

Paperwork, risk assessments, cleaning their armour and uniform?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Paperwork, risk assessments, cleaning their armour and uniform?

Grabbing crafty fags on those ledges over the huge drop. 

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

"That's no moon, that's a space station." - Obi-Wan-Kenobi.

It's a planet killer but only the size of a moon.

<pedant>

So it turns out - and I don't know why I expected otherwise - that if you type in 'how big is the Death Star' you can find all sorts of lively debate on the topic. My absolute favourite so far is this guy with his website of 'Technical Commentaries':

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/index.html

It's a rather vintage, Web-1.0-looking website from 2002, but this lad has put the time in to really considering this stuff. If you want to read someone taking this stuff far too seriously, here he is on the diameter of the Death Stars (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ds/index.html#dimensions) and the population of them (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ds/population.html), though no news on what they did all day. He would also like you to know that, minutes after the end of Return of the Jedi, all of the ewoks died in a nuclear winter as large chunks of destroyed Death Star hit the moon as meteors, which strikes me as a very good understanding of physics and a very poor understanding of the intentions behind putting a race of cuddly walking teddy bears in a childrens film.

• Like 2

Â