Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Why do people still try to put their train tickets through the turnstile when they are open? I know oyster and such like you need to scan your card or you could get charged the full amount but I frequently get stuck behind someone stopping and trying to use their ticket.

5 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Retro City Rampage?

Nah :( It was turn based, not an open world GTA type rampage. It was like a board game, I suppose. Choosing your own path to go around the roads of a huge city.

Cue the calls of Monopoly...

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Nah :( It was turn based, not an open world GTA type rampage. It was like a board game, I suppose. Choosing your own path to go around the roads of a huge city.

A board game you say?? ?

Scrabble?

• Sad 1

Just now, a m ole said:

who wants a foldable phone?

It's an interesting concept. Especially as my current phone is too big for my jeans pocket!

1 minute ago, Xela said:

It's an interesting concept. Especially as my current phone is too big for my jeans pocket!

thing is the ones proposed are bigger, like a tablet that is current phone sized but thicker when folded.

15 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Why isn't there a website specifically designed for people to use to find old computer games that they can't remember the name of?

Once every few months I'll be scratching my head for days, trying to think of some obscure PC game that I played in the 90s, typing random descriptions into Google in the hope that it'll throw up a hit on some random games forum.

The game I'm currently trying to think of, I only had the demo of, but it was a turn-based birds-eye-view car game, where you rolled a dice/ spinner, and then drove round a big colourful map of a city, collecting things or something, competing against other drivers. I can't even remember if it was a race, or if the aim was to collect money.

Shot in the dark, but it wasn’t Game of Life - PC game was it? It was released in 1998.

6 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Shot in the dark, but it wasn’t Game of Life - PC game was it? It was released in 1998.

Nah, I’ve googled that one to see what the PC version was like, but it’s not that. I think in Game of Life you still went round a standard route, except for the odd detour or short cut. But this game was like an ‘open world’ game, in the sense that the map was a huge city and you could go wherever you wanted in the city, in whatever direction you wanted, but it still felt like a board game, like Mario Party, where you could go so many ‘steps’ on your turn. I’ve given up now anyway. I was googling this game for about 3 hours during work yesterday and then last night until about 11.30 I was looking, but no joy. I give up. Someone need to make a definite game list website.

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Nah, I’ve googled that one to see what the PC version was like, but it’s not that. I think in Game of Life you still went round a standard route, except for the odd detour or short cut. But this game was like an ‘open world’ game, in the sense that the map was a huge city and you could go wherever you wanted in the city, in whatever direction you wanted, but it still felt like a board game, like Mario Party, where you could go so many ‘steps’ on your turn. I’ve given up now anyway. I was googling this game for about 3 hours during work yesterday and then last night until about 11.30 I was looking, but no joy. I give up. Someone need to make a definite game list website.

Sim City 3000?

Civalisation?

Risk?

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

It's not Syndicate wars is it?  That was kind of turn based and you had a crew of semi-bionic people who had to go round a city to shoot bad guys.. 

10 hours ago, Xela said:

"Does he look like a paedophile?"

"It's got to be Herbert"

819+Q0MvYUL._SX425_.jpg

I was in "The Works" the other day (the bookshop, not the early 2000's Broad Street night club)

They had a hilarious range of rip off board games. Kind of like the way Aldi do cheap versions of traditional brands.

The Guess Who one was called "WHAT'S THEIR NAME?!" :D

Also featured classics such as "Twist and Turn", "4 to Score" and "Tumble Rocket" (points for guessing their traditional titles)

Edited by Stevo985

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was in "The Works" the other day (the bookshop, not the early 2000's Broad Street night club)

They had a hilarious range of rip off board games. Kind of like the way Aldi do cheap versions of traditional brands.

The Guess Who one was called "WHAT'S THEIR NAME?!" :D

Also featured classics such as "Twist and Turn", "4 to Score" and "Tumble Rocket" (points for guessing their traditional titles)

Twister, Connect 4 and I'm stumped on tumble rocket

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

The Game of Life, also known simply as Life, is a cellular automaton devised by the British mathematician John Horton Conway in 1970.

Wikipedia

Different Game of Life, but compulsively fascinating. Well worth downloading a copy. 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Different Game of Life, but compulsively fascinating. Well worth downloading a copy. 

Is it like Red Dead Redemption 2..?

I've just tried to read that wikipedia page but my brain's exploded.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I reckon you were dreaming and have mashed up Streets of Sim City with risk :)

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Is it like Red Dead Redemption 2..?

I've just tried to read that wikipedia page but my brain's exploded.

I got into it when I read a pop science book called 'The Recursive Universe' by William Poundstone, back in the 80s. It's basically a mathematical model that illustrates how a starting state (e.g. the cosmos) with only a couple of very simple 'rules' can very quickly generate massive complexity, evolve highly complex structures which interact in hard-to-predict ways, and ultimately settle into complete stasis (entropy). If that sounds geeky, well it is - but you can have fun just watching the trippy patterns changing (with or without your mind altering substance of choice). 

13 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I was actually thinking Ludo.

Â