Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I Often Wonder who that Aliens guy is. I've never seen him other than in that meme. 

I think someone has explained his background in the past on VT far better than I can but he was part of History Channel program called 'Ancient Aliens.' His enthusiasm and delivery coupled with his wacky hair made him somewhat endearing & memorable.

Giorgio A. Tsoukalos, from a show called “Ancient Aliens”. Can’t say i’ve watched it, but I would imagine it’s like if someone made documentary about “Stargate”.

Based on this picture alone (which I’m sure I first saw here on VT), Giorgio appears to have a sense of humour about it -

84C538CD-BFE8-4B78-B35A-AD9EA36187D3.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Giorgio A. Tsoukalos, from a show called “Ancient Aliens”. Can’t say i’ve watched it, but I would imagine it’s like if someone made documentary about “Stargate”.

Related image

• Haha 1

On 21/10/2018 at 10:16, turvontour said:

Who decided which foods go in to the various meals we eat, like did it just evolve with time, through trial and error.

Just had a full english; bacon, egg, sausage, tomato, black pudding, beans, hash brown, toast. But why those ingredients? Why dont i have black pudding with other meals, why hash brown and not jacket potato?

Had gammon at the pub the other day and was offered pineapple and/or egg with it. But why? And why is that the same option everywhere in the country?

There's an enzyme in pineapple that breaks down proteins I believe. 'Tenderising' the pork or some such. Allegedly making the meat easier to digest. Like Grapefruit with the classic Fry-up.

On 26/10/2018 at 11:13, Wainy316 said:

Why is nobody worried about how much the human population is spiralling completely out of the control?

It's going up a billion people every 10-12 years or so and Derek from Cannock cutting out dairy and Linda and Keith car sharing to work ain't going to do shit.  The numbers are going to be completely unsustainable.

On 26/10/2018 at 18:04, sharkyvilla said:

I saw a programme a while ago that said the world's population will probably peak at about 10bn in the next 100 years ago.  Even traditionally heavily-populated third-world countries like Bangladesh are close to having 2 births per family.

On 26/10/2018 at 18:56, chrisp65 said:

Is the problem big families with nothing in Bangladesh? 

I suspect it's at least as big a problem, the little families in 'the west' that have 2 cars, 3 tv's, airplane flights, phone chargers, throwaway clothing and fast food packaging.

Once families in Bangladesh don't have to feed eleven kids, they'll have the money for a scooter and a telly, and, and, and...

RIP Mr Rosling Sir.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What's the lowest ever recorded possession for a team in a football game?

I know Celtic against Barcelona was the lowest opta recorded win, one for a pub quiz that.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I know Celtic against Barcelona was the lowest opta recorded win, one for a pub quiz that.

I remember that game, didn't they have about 14% ?

There was a game where the home team didn't turn up. I think Scotland were the away team. The referee insisted they kicked off before awarding the game. I'm not sure if they had to score into the empty net???? 

100% possession for the match.  

Can anyone add any details into my vague memories? 

11 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

There was a game where the home team didn't turn up. I think Scotland were the away team. The referee insisted they kicked off before awarding the game. I'm not sure if they had to score into the empty net???? 

100% possession for the match.  

Can anyone add any details into my vague memories? 

A game cannot start or continue if either team has fewer than 7 players on the pitch. Law 3.

• Like 1

wiki wiki

One team in Tallinn refers to a football match scheduled for 9 October 1996 in World Cup qualifying European Group 4 between the national teams of Estonia and Scotland. The match was abandoned after three seconds because the Estonian team were absent from the Kadrioru Stadium due to a dispute over its floodlights. Scotland expected to be awarded a walkover victory, but FIFA ordered that the match be replayed on neutral territory. The replayed match, staged at the Stade Louis II in Monaco, ended in a goalless draw

Ref appears to get the rules wrong, gets Scotland to kick off, then abandons game. But FIFA order a replay.

Politics innit.

Not often, but it did kind of dawn on me the other day that you never see people dressed up as Santa Claus for Halloween.  They probably don't want a smack in the gob :) 

Â