Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I got that bit, it was the Dylan bit that confused me. But I didn't see that bit in Shropshire Lad's OP. Now that I do it all makes sense.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Join me next week for the next installment of "Stevo tries to understand jokes and then explains them so they're not funny anymore"

I doubt we'll have to wait a week.. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

What's the consequences of the world losing half of its wildlife in the last 40 years going to be? Will this trend continue?

Probably not. But like most things I imagine nothing will be done until it's too late to have a massive impact.

I get the same impression with climate change. Eventually all this arguing about whether it's real or not will stop and something will get done. But it'll probably be too late.

1907 was the worst year for old Gaia.

Plastic was invented.  Fortunately, widespread uses of the stuff didn't begin until the 1960s, and it's taken 50 years for us to realise the stuff isn't too great for the planet. 

Climate change is the other huge, huge issue. 

Deforestation is happening on an increasingly large scale as money filters down the chain to poor nations.  

Big business is proper **** us over environmentally, politically and as employees. 

But stuff is cheap.. 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

Speaking of climate change and all that. What I can't get my head around are those claiming that global warming isn't man made. What's their point? Do they think that there's something like doing too much for a better environment? Do they think we should stop working on finding alternativs for petrol and such thing? I could go on but I don't know all the english words on this subject, but I think (hope) you get my point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Speaking of climate change and all that. What I can't get my head around are those claiming that global warming isn't man made. What's their point? Do they think that there's something like doing too much for a better environment? Do they think we should stop working on finding alternativs for petrol and such thing? I could go on but I don't know all the english words on this subject, but I think (hope) you get my point.

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

People make lots of money from fossil fuels. They don't want that to stop.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

People make lots of money from fossil fuels. They don't want that to stop.

That I get, but people like you and me? In Sweden we have rather high taxes on fuel, and people complain about it, but really, they can afford it. No matter what they say, they can as they go on expensive holidays, ie. And in the end it's not more expensive in Sweden compared to many other european countries. I've checked since me and the OH planned to go on a road trip to Europe.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Probably not. But like most things I imagine nothing will be done until it's too late to have a massive impact.

I get the same impression with climate change. Eventually all this arguing about whether it's real or not will stop and something will get done. But it'll probably be too late.

With AI coming in to the picture (as Elon Musk says, more dangerous than nuclear weaponry and to be controlled by a select few companies) combined with the fallacy of biodiesel being a feasible replacement as a fuel source, which will not only place further demands on the environment butnalso means that food prices increase. We are well placed to be living in 'the matrix' soon enough.

Why is nobody worried about how much the human population is spiralling completely out of the control?

It's going up a billion people every 10-12 years or so and Derek from Cannock cutting out dairy and Linda and Keith car sharing to work ain't going to do shit.  The numbers are going to be completely unsustainable.

• Like 2

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Why is nobody worried about how much the human population is spiralling completely out of the control?

It's going up a billion people every 10-12 years or so and Derek from Cannock cutting out dairy and Linda and Keith car sharing to work ain't going to do shit.  The numbers are going to be completely unsustainable.

Go and kill a few people wainy, the world is counting on you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Also true. And we're already consuming too much. Sometimes I think this planet would be better off without us. And sometimes it feels like it's doing its best to get rid of us.

10 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Sometimes I think this planet would be better off without us.

I don't think that is even in question, the planet is only as prosperous as the eco system within it. Unfortunately we came along with superior intelligence and found a way to evolve outside of the natural order which involves exploiting all the natural resources rather than being beholden to them.

Its almost like we were never meant to be part of the plan.

57 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Probably going to take a couple of billion to make a difference.  Might need a bit of help.

Simples. Never finish a course of anti biotics you've prescribed for no good reason to your livestock and let nature and time do the rest.

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

The basic answer is because we know from the history of economic development that birth rates massively decline when countries reach higher levels of development, and that most (but not all) of the countries with the highest birth rates are rapidly developing. 

The ecological footprint of dozens of sub-Saharan Africans is much lower than mine or yours anyway. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Probably going to take a couple of billion to make a difference.  Might need a bit of help.

Just get Trump to take out China and India. Problem solved. 

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The basic answer is because we know from the history of economic development that birth rates massively decline when countries reach higher levels of development, and that most (but not all) of the countries with the highest birth rates are rapidly developing. 

The ecological footprint of dozens of sub-Saharan Africans is much lower than mine or yours anyway. 

I saw a programme a while ago that said the world's population will probably peak at about 10bn in the next 100 years ago.  Even traditionally heavily-populated third-world countries like Bangladesh are close to having 2 births per family.

Is the problem big families with nothing in Bangladesh? 

I suspect it's at least as big a problem, the little families in 'the west' that have 2 cars, 3 tv's, airplane flights, phone chargers, throwaway clothing and fast food packaging.

Once families in Bangladesh don't have to feed eleven kids, they'll have the money for a scooter and a telly, and, and, and...

Â