Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

17 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I can't imagine watching a sport so dull that  half time is what people look forward to.

:lol:The only people who look forward to half time are the people who don't watch the sport i.e. the Superbowl is the only American Football match they'll ever watch.  Fans of the NFL generally couldn't give 2 shits for the half time show.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BOF said:

:lol:The only people who look forward to half time are the people who don't watch the sport i.e. the Superbowl is the only American Football match they'll ever watch.  Fans of the NFL generally couldn't give 2 shits for the half time show.

other than to go on twitter and criticise it

Personally I have no issues with Moron 5's performance as I didn't watch it  , hence I didn't feel the need to get angry/ upset / annoyed by it

I was firmly in the "what is this shite"  camp for American football ... Now I watch it all the time  , for sure the Superb Owl on Sunday wasn't for the one game a year fan , but the way the pats negated the Rams was impressive  ..and yet despite the dominance , it was 3-3 for a while and Rams had every chance the Rams could nick it .... I'm already not sure what I'll be doing with myself on Sunday night now that redzone isn't on

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

Is baseball more popular than American Football?

Apparently the former is America's national sport but there is a much bigger deal about the Super Bowl than the World Series.  Plus American Football is ten times better.

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Apparently the former is America's national sport but there is a much bigger deal about the Super Bowl than the World Series.  Plus American Football is ten times better.

Obviously I'm not an American, and this is just my very general impression which an actual American can say is complete rubbish, but it seems to me that baseball has gradually lost attention relative to Am. football and basketball over recent decades. 

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm already not sure what I'll be doing with myself on Sunday night now that redzone isn't on

Redzone is a genuine weekly TV highlight for me during the season. Great format. 

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

kothfiig8u20hhbxavevjg.png

American football, under attack from critics in recent years, has lost some of its popularity but is still the champion of U.S. spectator sports -- picked by 37% of U.S. adults as their favorite sport to watch. The next-most-popular sports are basketball, favored by 11%, and baseball, favored by 9%

https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i was under the impression the plateau in the states is the main driving force behind the international series, they are chasing our cash and to be fair to them they are really growing here

You think its growing here? I see more of an indifference towards the international series now from when it started. 

What happened to the Japanese electronic giants? Why have they now seemingly been left behind by Korean and Chinese rivals in the digital era? When I was a nipper the Japanese names like Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, NEC and JVC were the kings of consumer electronics. Most of them sponsored top English football teams! 

LG (Goldstar) and Samsung were there as well from South Korea but never major players. Nowadays though the Koreans are miles ahead on stuff like TVs, phones, tablets etc. My first phone was a NEC (followed by a Panasonic then 2x Sharps), my first laptop was a Toshiba and my first home cinema set up was a JVC monster widescreen, Hitachi SVHS player a Pioneer DVD and speaker setup Now, nothing from the land of rising sun is in my apartment.  

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

You think its growing here? I see more of an indifference towards the international series now from when it started. 

i think the international series maybe (that said its only 2/3 years since the every postcode ticket application thing supposedly happened, i think due to the market testing they've played around a bit too much) but the sport in general is growing, the number of woolly hats you see is definitely increasing, shirt sales i think people are still a bit wary of the over sizing (and the availability of them is still a bit shit) would be interested to know what skys viewing figures are like (even though that might be skewed by people picking teams and watching those teams or red zone rather than skys selected game)

and as for my previous comments about there being less technique and more violence in the tackling - 

but yeah they're definitely fannies for wearing pads, imagine doing that 30/40 times, you're going to be beat up and knackered

3 hours ago, Xela said:

What happened to the Japanese electronic giants? Why have they now seemingly been left behind by Korean and Chinese rivals in the digital era? When I was a nipper the Japanese names like Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, NEC and JVC were the kings of consumer electronics. Most of them sponsored top English football teams! 

LG (Goldstar) and Samsung were there as well from South Korea but never major players. Nowadays though the Koreans are miles ahead on stuff like TVs, phones, tablets etc. My first phone was a NEC (followed by a Panasonic then 2x Sharps), my first laptop was a Toshiba and my first home cinema set up was a JVC monster widescreen, Hitachi SVHS player a Pioneer DVD and speaker setup Now, nothing from the land of rising sun is in my apartment.  

I don't profess to know anything about the global consumer electronics market If I was a betting man I would guess at 2 things.

1) Japanese tech used to be cheap so they dominated over more expensive European and American companies who couldn't compete on price.  Now they have gone the same way as the companies they trumped, employees will be very highly paid, the modern world of health and safety, pension costs, all the trappings of being a developed economy drags them down. 

South Korea became the new kid on the block with substantially lower cost base in an underdeveloped economy, lower wages, less baggage to pay for so they could undercut the Japanese on all fronts. 

2) Japanese companies dominated the world when they were young and nimble, innovative full of enthusiasm and desire.  They became huge fat corporations which are notoriously difficult to steer and change, little innovation. 

Koreans are in that early cycle now. 

Mark my words some economy will suddenly start chucking out cheap innovative products in the future and take the Korean crown and they will look old and stale, out of date.  Someone will wonder why Samsung don't dominate anymore and where Indonesia or someone came from to become a global tech giant. 

Who saw Apple overtaking Microsoft who seemed untouchable? I think we're starting to see the cracks in Apple now also, they have certainly treated customers with contempt who have turned their back on their pricing. The mistrust and dissatisfaction can grow and with their size they may struggle to innovate. 

Of course they will always be there but like Japanese companies may no longer be the top dog and considered cool anymore. 

I mentioned a Sony Walkman the other day and my kids had no idea what I meant.  Something so popular it's product name became the generic term for what it was. Now lost in 20 years. 

That's what I reckon anyway. 

• Like 2

japan's actually has a name, they call it the lost decade

they manipulated exchange rates in the 80s making the $ great vs the yen but causing a bubble, lots of loans, lots of debt, decline in sales, low inflation and ageing population

the other thing i've seen is the argument that japan is way behind in terms of digital equipment, software etc they pioneered machines, saw a comparison of a walkman vs an ipod, the mechanics of they operate are completely different, theres no computer chip in a walkman, and then its not just the product itself non japanese companies like apple and samsung have pioneered manufacturing techniques so they're making their products at less cost too

im sure the only thing that keeps sony going is the playstation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

im sure the only thing that keeps sony going is the playstation

It’s my understanding that they sold the PS4 at a loss financially as a “halo” product. It keeps Sony as a household name but they actually lose money on manufacturing it.

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

It’s my understanding that they sold the PS4 at a loss financially as a “halo” product. It keeps Sony as a household name but they actually lose money on manufacturing it.

The console itself maybe but the division had $4.9bn in sales and $800m in profit last year

Things like PS+ and the accessories must be hugely profitable 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Obviously I'm not an American, and this is just my very general impression which an actual American can say is complete rubbish, but it seems to me that baseball has gradually lost attention relative to Am. football and basketball over recent decades. 

I think that’s pretty accurate. 

Baseball is going through a period of self-scrutiny at the moment, trying to come up with innovations to make the game faster in order to attract the younger audience (I think numbers show that the average baseball fan is getting older). Of course, most of these innovations tend to upset the purists and the established fan base, so it’s a bit of a dilemma. 

Edited by Michelsen

Â