Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

17 hours ago, A'Villan said:

The question was not mine, it was the catalyst for hypothesis of a neuroscientist with an interest in the quantum field, Joe Dispenza.

Why would anyone care about a neuroscientist's hypothesis on QFT? If you want to know about QFT, read peer reviewed papers from physicists.

Ah. I googled. Quack quack.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

What does an orchestral conductor actually do? Surely the musicians know their piece inside out (so timing isnt a problem) and the tempo/pitch etc to play at?

Pop over to The VT Musicians thread, where TheAuthority is the authority. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

What does an orchestral conductor actually do? Surely the musicians know their piece inside out (so timing isnt a problem) and the tempo/pitch etc to play at?

they do keep the time for one, which is an issue with that many musicians playing very intricate and different parts, especially when the quality of the performance has to be top shelf. It’s not like a punk band blasting out barre chords. Even then, drummers play the role of conductor in standard bands to keep everything tight and at the right tempo.

It’s like a live music producer, tinkering with the volume and tone of each part, to make the best sound as a whole.

Think as well, traditionally they’re playing instruments that aren’t mic’d up or have their sound amplified. The piece will sound very different from one side of the stage to the other. How would you know how loud to play and when to play your part if you can’t hear the violas over the cello, for (a very poor and simple) example.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

Nigel Kennedy was on Master Tapes on BBC R4 about a week ago. He said he didn't care for conductors and liked working without one. He only saw the need for someone waving a stick if the ensemble weren't good enough to keep time or if the orchestra was quite large.

Was actually a very good and informative programme.

• Like 1

My cousin actually has a masters degree in orchestral conducting. 

Or.. he did his masters papers on it.. I know he has a degree in music, and can play any instrument I have thrown at him (trumpets, triangles, drums, cellos and a big **** off harp at one point).

On 16/08/2018 at 09:30, mjmooney said:

I wonder how bad some people's arithmetic is, with some of the multibuys I see. 

IMG_20180816_165408.png

People tend to to get flustered when there are mandolins involved.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Get in the way and pontificate most of the time.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Pelle said:

Trying to catch up. I'm in the "funny pics" thread and started on page 60 or something like that and now I'm on 150. It's only taken me around 6 hours... And tat's without saying that about 50% of the pictures doesn't work. I don't even dare to have a look in the film-, songs-, jokes- or album threads. But at least I'm having a good laugh. It's all D1's fault. :D And I've wasted all my likes for today too. ?

I can save you from having to catch up in the songs thread ...it’s essentially  Bicks  still hates the Beatles , MJ still doesn’t know who any band since 1976 are and Queen are still shit 

You’re welcome 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I can save you from having to catch up in the songs thread ...it’s essentially  Bicks  still hates the Beatles , MJ still doesn’t know who any band since 1976 are and Queen are still shit 

You’re welcome 

I see that you haven't come out of the Queen closet yet. :D Not unexpected. :)

13 hours ago, limpid said:

Why would anyone care about a neuroscientist's hypothesis on QFT? If you want to know about QFT, read peer reviewed papers from physicists.

Ah. I googled. Quack quack.

I don't want to assume the level of googling you did, though don't you think drawing a 'quack quack' conclusion from it is a bit 'quack quack' itself?

What about it did you find so inaccurate?

21 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Me reading your posts

alright curb your enthusiasm GIF

I honestly never know if you're an intellectual genius, or an absolute dumbass trying to be smart :lol: 

Whatever the case may be, this put a smile on my face before a long day at uni, so thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Whatever the case may be, this put a smile on my face before a long day at uni, so thank you.

(This is the time you put that as your signature...)

Yea, definitely a dumbass :P 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2018 at 05:49, A'Villan said:

Do you think we can hustle some more of those fish 'n' chippies by annoying those humans en masse?

That's another Aussie thing, Fish and Chippies

Chips are the fried potato product

A Chippy is the fast food emporium that sells them

You'll learn to speak proper eventually

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

What does an orchestral conductor actually do?

That's one for the things you wander, not things you wonder thread, surely?

Easy mistake, I suppose

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I don't want to assume the level of googling you did, though don't you think drawing a 'quack quack' conclusion from it is a bit 'quack quack' itself?

What about it did you find so inaccurate?

1) he's less of a scientist than me, I went to an actual university and studied a science. I didn't do very well but I'd still describe myself as more of a scientist than him

2) Becoming Supernatural, You Are The Placebo... such great scientific works

and the pièce de résistance...

3)  

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck....

• Like 1

Â