Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

It's not often, in fact it's only happened once in my life, but I am wondering how my window didn't just shatter. I thought someone had thrown a brick or something.

It's 11pm here and I hadn't put the blind down yet, next thing I know there's an owl flying into my window. God knows what it was trying to fly into my room for.

7 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

It's not often, in fact it's only happened once in my life, but I am wondering how my window didn't just shatter. I thought someone had thrown a brick or something.

It's 11pm here and I hadn't put the blind down yet, next thing I know there's an owl flying into my window. God knows what it was trying to fly into my room for.

Probably incensed by your use of the term conventional science. Owls are very wise after all

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

When will flight times get shorter

I think a lot of time goes in to making rhe engines more efficient and use less fuels but when will there be another step forward in reducing the duration in the air

physics innit.

Or more precisely drag. Drag is approximately proportional to the square of the speed, so small increases in speed require much more fuel. Flight times have actually got longer as engines have become more efficient

It's easy to go faster, it's not going to happen until an alternative abundant very cheap non-polluting source of energy is usable

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Probably incensed by your use of the term conventional science. Owls are very wise after all

Well while I'm thankful that the kamikaze fly-by mission in retaliation for my scallywag use of said phrase didn't result in a 50cm bird injured in my room, I can't say I've learned my lesson.

• Haha 1

Reminds me of getting home from work in Texas at 3am to find an injured Vulture on my doorstep. Dim lighting, dead of night, tired, out in the wilds, me and a vulture in a confined space. Said Vulture was effin massive too. He scrambled into the undergrowth and was there the next night too. Yes, I crapped myself.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Why the W in this thread title is capitalised.

I have the opposite problem.

This signage has wound me up for years. 

Ice Cream, Hot Chocolate, Hot Food, Hot dogs.

43565735334_aaed076155_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BillyShears said:

Reminds me of getting home from work in Texas at 3am to find an injured Vulture on my doorstep. Dim lighting, dead of night, tired, out in the wilds, me and a vulture in a confined space. Said Vulture was effin massive too. He scrambled into the undergrowth and was there the next night too. Yes, I crapped myself.

What kind of vulture, do you know (I got the effin massive one bit)?

I'm still amazed this owl didn't break the glass. People heard the impact on the other side of the house.

50 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

If real life is in fact real life, and not some Matrix Truman Show concoction. 

I mean think about it villan-scott, if everybody is in on it, I’d have to be in on it too.

<Emotionally takes a swig of beer>

I’m not in on it villan-scott, because there is no “it”.

Spoiler

Phew, that was close, but I think he believed me, guys.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I mean think about it villan-scott, if everybody is in on it, I’d have to be in on it too.

<Emotionally takes a swig of beer>

I’m not in on it villan-scott, because there is no “it”.

Hide contents

Phew, that was close, but I think he believed me, guys.

giphy.gif

I knew it. I just hope you didn’t see what I’ve just been up to... ??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

When will flight times get shorter

I think a lot of time goes in to making rhe engines more efficient and use less fuels but when will there be another step forward in reducing the duration in the air

Never. It was quicker to get to New York in 1980 than it is now. 

Combination of things really. Airlines just can't afford to carry a loss making program like that anymore as most are under pressure from low cost carriers. Add to the fact Joe Public wants everything dirt cheap nowadays then the airlines are more bothered about fuel efficiency and/or getting more bodies into the plane than duration. 

I've just paid £400 for a flight to Asia with a 5-star airline (Qatar Airways). I paid £650 ten years for the same with a carrier who nowhere near as good (Air France)

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

giphy.gif

I knew it. I just hope you didn’t see what I’ve just been up to... ??

This one is possible to some extent.

Your exact location can be pinpointed and your use of technology known.

It is illegal for the most part but people still do it.

• Like 1

Dad was telling me about how he'd been seeing all the news about African gangs in Melbourne.

So one day he hears sirens and a police helicopter and he assumes that there's some Africans on the loose and that the best plan of action is to put a ladder up and climb on to the roof, because in the event these Africans do a house invasion on him they won't find anyone in the house and Dad will be safe as the police helicopter will be able to see him.

This is very odd to me, and I ask, "Dad, have you been smoking any pot?"

He responds, "I might've had a little bit"

What Dad has failed to remember is that he lives in Frankston, across from the The Pines, notorious for being a troubled neighbourhood and where they house ex-cons. The demographic is mostly Caucasian. Police sirens is nothing new.

That's on the light side of things, and probably says as much about my discovery of Dad being reacquainted with the old marijuana as it does the media.

But what's sad is the other day I was on a bus home from uni and some Muslim kids jumped on and started making jokes about how they were going to blow up the bus. Innocent kids having a laugh among each other identifying with the crap they see in the media.

I'm wondering how low we go..

For every level, there's another devil.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, A'Villan said:

What kind of vulture, do you know (I got the effin massive one bit)?

I'm still amazed this owl didn't break the glass. People heard the impact on the other side of the house.

It was a Turkey Vulture. They lived on the river where I lived, used to circle the skies all day.

• Thanks 1

Â