Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Same people having the same argument daily win, lose or draw. It’s quite bizarre.

Its reached that point now that even if we had won 2-0, it would be he same comments, as you say. 

I get the negativity, of course, we are garbage, but we've been garbage for 10 years. I don't think I have the energy anymore to care about it!

• Like 2

Why are footballers (or a good chunk of them) such cry babies?

Look at rugby union/league, american football, Aussie rules and gaelic footballers. They take far harder tackles and hits and there is no play acting or squealing there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Look at rugby union/league, american football, Aussie rules and gaelic footballers. They take far harder tackles and hits and there is no play acting or squealing there. 

No real advantage to do it in those sports as tough tackling is the whole idea, where football a slight infringement is a foul and can be exaggerated by being a big girls blouse.  Although to be fair, it doesn't seem to happen in women's football from what I've seen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

No real advantage to do it in those sports as tough tackling is the whole idea, where football a slight infringement is a foul and can be exaggerated by being a big girls blouse.  Although to be fair, it doesn't seem to happen in women's football from what I've seen.

Yep, what Sharky said. There is an advantage to be gained by doing it.

True, I get that. I guess its the rolling around, clutching your leg like you've been picked off by a sniper that annoys me the most. A foul is a foul, just get up and take the free kick. 

It is something that overseas players brought to the game but is now increasingly been used by everyone. Although you don't see it at non league level, it just wouldn't be tolerated. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

True, I get that. I guess its the rolling around, clutching your leg like you've been picked off by a sniper that annoys me the most. A foul is a foul, just get up and take the free kick. 

It is something that overseas players brought to the game but is now increasingly been used by everyone. Although you don't see it at non league level, it just wouldn't be tolerated. 

Definitely. We've all played football, been kicked, got up and got on with it. For no pay. Yet these clearings in the woods who get paid millions behave like babies. It's annoying. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Definitely. We've all played football, been kicked, got up and got on with it. For no pay. Yet these clearings in the woods who get paid millions behave like babies. It's annoying. 

Rule of thumb for me was I wouldn’t give anyone the satisfaction of thinking they’d hurt me , you just got up , got on with the game .. and then took them out at the first opportunity :) 

• Like 3

When will Christmas start to be phased out? 200 years from now? 500 years?

Hardly anyone I know has a clue what Christmas is anymore, in its truest sense, and yet the ‘celebration’ of it is getting more and more grotesque/extreme with time. I went to church Sunday and Wednesday every week as a child, and prayed every day, my parents still go occasionally. I probably wouldn't class myself as a Christian now, I'm not sure. I love Christmas. But I love the excuse to binge eat and drink for days on end, I love the presents for the children, I love the relaxed attitude to work for a complete month where our office focuses on Secret Santa, parties, games etc (and I love that that’s accepted), I love the time off. But my actions/thoughts make absolutely zero reference to the subject/topic in hand at any point across the period; it’s truly bizarre.

I refer to the phasing out of Christmas as presumably there are fewer and fewer practising Christians in the UK each year (or even those that identify with a religion), while smaller religions such as Islam will grow, and therefore the need for weeks off work, lavish parties etc will be no longer necessary? Or is it too important to the economy and will be protected?

53 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Hardly anyone I know has a clue what Christmas is anymore, in its truest sense, and yet the ‘celebration’ of it is getting more and more grotesque/extreme with time. I went to church Sunday and Wednesday every week as a child, and prayed every day, my parents still go occasionally. I probably wouldn't class myself as a Christian now, I'm not sure. I love Christmas. But I love the excuse to binge eat and drink for days on end, I love the presents for the children, I love the relaxed attitude to work for a complete month where our office focuses on Secret Santa, parties, games etc (and I love that that’s accepted), I love the time off. But my actions/thoughts make absolutely zero reference to the subject/topic in hand at any point across the period; it’s truly bizarre.

I refer to the phasing out of Christmas as presumably there are fewer and fewer practising Christians in the UK each year (or even those that identify with a religion), while smaller religions such as Islam will grow, and therefore the need for weeks off work, lavish parties etc will be no longer necessary? Or is it too important to the economy and will be protected?

The phasing out of Christmas in its truest sense is already well under way.  Christmas is now a holiday.  That's all.  A time of gross capitalism which the world will never phase out and doesn't want to phase out.  And a time for people to spend some time away from work with family and friends.  So in one sense Christmas will always be here in one form or another, and in another sense the religious bit has already been marginalised to nothing more than a polite nod in that general direction and the odd lapsed Christian going to midnight mass after the pub for a bit of a laugh.

39 minutes ago, turvontour said:

last time I checked Santa wasn't in the Bible so I'm not sure why you think a lack of Christians will see a phasing out of Christmas ? it's celebrated more as a secular holiday now ,  heck a few years back I was in Palestine a week or so before Christmas and 300 Hindu's wearing santa hats were walking from Jerusalem to Bethlehem ( an event they carry out every year I believe ) ..not sure you can get any more Unchristian if you tired

Most people of "smaller religions" who live in the UK that I know celebrate Christmas pretty much the same way that I do by and large (i.e parties and presents )  

I kinda celebrate Christmas ( usually abroad ) but I'm not a Christian (other than someone wrote C of E on my birth certificate) ... my kids have seen Santa in more Muslim countries than America have bombed  , it's not exactly outlawed by these counties  , at least the more moderate ones , I've not been to Kabul for Christmas (yet) ..

I'm sure members of IS and the Taliban may not be sending me a Christmas card anytime soon but I don't think you need worry about having to work on Dec 25th just yet

• Like 1

Â