Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can you separate the mind that you can read a book plus listen to music and be fully aware of every note being played.

Personally, no. I don't usually put music on if I'm reading, it distracts me from the book too much - but if I do it has to be something 'backgroundy' - instrumental, classical, etc. 

Driving, however, is different. I can definitely concentrate on the road and the music simultaneously. Must use different parts of the brain. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Personally, no. I don't usually put music on if I'm reading, it distracts me from the book too much - but if I do it has to be something 'backgroundy' - instrumental, classical, etc. 

Driving, however, is different. I can definitely concentrate on the road and the music simultaneously. Must use different parts of the brain. 

I was just thinking about it, and it sounds impossible to do. I imagine some people can do it. Driving and listening does sound much easier.

I can manage it if there's someone I want to avoid talking or listening to during my lunch hour.  I almost always read but occasionally I have to stick my music on to drown out the whinging of certain colleagues, and I can concentrate on both pretty well.

I usually read with music playing but i'm not taking much notice of the music. Its just there as background noise and to block out other things (people talking)

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can you separate the mind that you can read a book plus listen to music and be fully aware of every note being played.

I've often wondered similarly about singing and playing an instrument. Remembering the correct lyric and note at the same time?

My brother used to sing one song while another was playing on the radio.  If a song he really liked had just finished playing he would sing his favorite parts and it wouldn't faze him at all if another song started up.   It drove me batshit to have two songs going at once and i couldn't understand how he could manage it.  For me, if there is music playing my brain locks in on it and can't possibly put it aside and hum/whistle/sing something else.

15 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

No I can't, generally.

A bit of background music is ok. Like if I'm on holiday and there's music playing I can still read a book. But then I'm not listening to the music I guess.

I was never one of these people who could have the radio on or some music while they were, for example, revising. I'd end up just being sat there listening to the radio for 15 minutes and doing no work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PriceyDownunder said:

I've often wondered similarly about singing and playing an instrument. Remembering the correct lyric and note at the same time?

That's similar to the driving thing. You have to get the (e.g.) guitar part down so that it's basically automatic, and your hands can carry on without your conscious brain having to focus on it - leaving it free to think about the singing. 

Sounds easy when you say it quickly, but it takes a lot of practice. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's similar to the driving thing. You have to get the (e.g.) guitar part down so that it's basically automatic, and your hands can carry on without your conscious brain having to focus on it - leaving it free to think about the singing. 

I find it fairly straight forward if I'm just strumming chords, but I struggle if there's some kind of melody to be played on guitar as well.

Same with bass. If I'm just playing root notes it's fine, but if there's even a slightly complicated bass line, you're not getting more than an "ooooooh" or an "ahhhhh" out of me.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I find it fairly straight forward if I'm just strumming chords, but I struggle if there's some kind of melody to be played on guitar as well.

Same with bass. If I'm just playing root notes it's fine, but if there's even a slightly complicated bass line, you're not getting more than an "ooooooh" or an "ahhhhh" out of me.

Oh hell, yes. I'm exactly the same. But then I haven't been sufficiently disciplined to put in my ten thousand hours practice.  :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I dabbled with playing the guitar for a while. I used to learn classical guitar when I was at school and was decent enough that I could teach myself a few pop/rock songs.

But I was never able to sing at the same time. i just could not get it. For me it was having my hands play a song at one speed and sing lyrcis at a different speed, if that makes sense. My hands always wanted to match the rhythm of my voice.

I gave up :) 

I often wonder for how long famous people from both the past will be remembered for in years to come.

And by famous people, I don’t mean  someone like Winston Churchill, I mean the likes of Peter Sellers or Harry H. Corbett.

15 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I often wonder for how long famous people from both the past will be remembered for in years to come.

And by famous people, I don’t mean  someone like Winston Churchill, I mean the likes of Peter Sellers or Harry H. Corbett.

Who?

lolololol just bantz i luv bill oddie and the goodies

extra bantz i no da gooonz

• Haha 2

On 18/10/2017 at 18:36, Xela said:

It seems to be, in my experience, younger women that smoke more then men of the same age

Non scientific investigation, the short walk from my office to a coffee shop had 1 guy vaping, 2 guys smoking (1 old bloke and a student), and 6 women in their twenties I'd guess smoking.

It's weird.

• Like 1

Multitasking is about creating pathways in the brain. That's practice I'm afraid.

Don't get downhearted. Hendrix's playing gets noticeably simpler when he sings.

Robert Johnson is good at it though.

54 minutes ago, Xann said:

Multitasking is about creating pathways in the brain. That's practice I'm afraid.

Don't get downhearted. Hendrix's playing gets noticeably simpler when he sings.

Robert Johnson is good at it though.

B. B. King couldn't do it at all - not even strumming chords. He took his hands off the guitar while he was singing. 

Â