Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Sorry to be crude, but this always makes me laugh.

My mate told me that the first time he tried having a tug, because he didn't know what to expect he took all his clothes off, lay a few towels down on his bedroom floor and got on all fours before going for it.

The image of that always tickles me. :lol: 

How much did he think was going to come out? Why not go a step further and put a snorkel on?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are you allowed to eat/drink while you're driving? 

I've wondered that. Surely it can be just as dangerous as being on your phone but you don't really hear much about it.

I'm going to guess it's legal...but frowned upon.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I've wondered that. Surely it can be just as dangerous as being on your phone but you don't really hear much about it.

It's legal, but don't tell twitter you do it.  I believe it's actually illegal in France, so it depends where you want to do it really :P 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are you allowed to eat/drink while you're driving? 

Yep - so long as you get your passenger to hold the steering wheel while you pour the beer.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Ye, I just feel that as a driver I've missed the clarity on this somewhere. People I speak to have different views on it.

You're seeing these drive-thru Costas and Starbucks popping up everywhere now which only encourages drinking at the wheel?

Edited by turvontour
  • Like 1

There was a recent AA or RAC article and yes it's legal. I will try and find it before I post this but if I dont well at least I tried.

https://www.rac.co.uk/business/articles/your-business-matters/13-driving-myths-uncovered

1. Is it illegal to eat and drive?

No. It’s not illegal to eat and drive at the same time. However, if you present a significant danger while snacking on the move, the police could prosecute you for careless driving if they consider you not in proper control of the vehicle.

A study by Leeds University found that motorists who ate while driving were actually 44% slower than usual…

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Yep - so long as you get your passenger to hold the steering wheel while you pour the beer.

Semi serious point/question - can you drink alcohol while you're driving, providing that you're not over the drink drive limit?

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Was talking to my driving instructor about music as we do most weeks. We talk about various bands, but he said he's never been big on 'The Who' and I said why. He said back then in high school you were either a mod and liked 'The Who' or a rocker and like 'Zeppelin'  

Naaah. By the time Zep came along (68/69, but didn't really take off until 70), The Who had long since stopped being a mod band, and appealed to much the same audience as LZ (i.e. people like me and my mates). What was left of mod culture was listening to soul and reggae, and morphing into skins/suedes - all the ones I knew detested The Who, as 'longhaired rock crap', exactly like Zep. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

You were no one in the early 80s, if you didn't rock one of these in playground (mine was pretty much the one on the right)...

A young @dAVe80 rocks into school.. September 1st 1983;

Uploaded on 06-10-2017 at 2:35 PM UTC

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

You were no one in the early 80s, if you didn't rock one of these in playground (mine was pretty much the one on the right)...

CwgB0_LWgAAYb_y.jpg

Rubbish. It was green or not at all. We were all in awe of Matt L's green snorkel when he turned up at school in it. Proper set the trend. Then we found out his dad had found it down Lifford canal and all of a sudden he wasn't nearly so cool.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, choffer said:

Rubbish. It was green or not at all. We were all in awe of Matt L's green snorkel when he turned up at school in it. Proper set the trend. Then we found out his dad had found it down Lifford canal and all of a sudden he wasn't nearly so cool.

Not sure about that, but I think we can all agree, we all hated the brown snorkel parka kids.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Anyone remember those wax coats? 

Yeah, I rocked one of them too. The farmer look was well in, on the mean streets of Erdington, in the late 80s. Later still, I had a Naf Co. 55 jacket, off Wilton Market.

Just now, dAVe80 said:

Yeah, I rocked one of them too. The farmer look was well in, on the mean streets of Erdington, in the late 80s. Later still, I had a Naf Co. 55 jacket, off Wilton Market.

I remember naff co :)  there was that make called 'eclipse ' or something like that.  

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I remember naff co :)  there was that make called 'eclipse ' or something like that.  

Oh yeah, Eclipse jeans, and a Spliffy jacket, and you looked the business!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Naaah. By the time Zep came along (68/69, but didn't really take off until 70), The Who had long since stopped being a mod band, and appealed to much the same audience as LZ (i.e. people like me and my mates). What was left of mod culture was listening to soul and reggae, and morphing into skins/suedes - all the ones I knew detested The Who, as 'longhaired rock crap', exactly like Zep. 

To further illustrate my last remark, a true story. Picture the scene - Moseley Village, circa 1970. My mate Andy and I (a couple of scruffy longhairs) are walking back from the pub, when we pass two skin/suede types walking the other way. We make a couple of disparaging remarks, but get no reaction. Ten minutes later, they are back, with four or five of their mates, on scooters. Fisticuffs ensue. Nothing much more than handbags, really, just scuffed knuckles and a few bruises. They leave it at that and **** off. 

The following night, I'm back in Moseley, this time on my own, and I spot one of said youths, also on his own. I walk over to him, and he looks a bit nervous, and starts to apologise about the previous night's fracas. I say, forget it, served us right really. We then fall into a conversation about teenage tribes, music tastes, etc. He confesses that he secretly likes The Who, but wouldn't dare admit it to his soulboy mates. I tell him that I like a bit of soul and reggae, but few of my friends would agree. Common ground is established, and we end up agreeing that's it's all stupid anyway. We shake hands and go our separate ways. 

Like I said in another thread, try not to stereotype whole groups based on your experiences with individuals. And vice versa. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

To further illustrate my last remark, a true story. Picture the scene - Moseley Village, circa 1970. My mate Andy and I (a couple of scruffy longhairs) are walking back from the pub, when we pass two skin/suede types walking the other way. We make a couple of disparaging remarks, but get no reaction. Ten minutes later, they are back, with four or five of their mates, on scooters. Fisticuffs ensue. Nothing much more than handbags, really, just scuffed knuckles and a few bruises. They leave it at that and **** off. 

The following night, I'm back in Moseley, this time on my own, and I spot one of said youths, also on his own. I walk over to him, and he looks a bit nervous, and starts to apologise about the previous night's fracas. I say, forget it, served us right really. We then fall into a conversation about teenage tribes, music tastes, etc. He confesses that he secretly likes The Who, but wouldn't dare admit it to his soulboy mates. I tell him that I like a bit of soul and reggae, but few of my friends would agree. Common ground is established, and we end up agreeing that's it's all stupid anyway. We shake hands and go our separate ways. 

Like I said in another thread, try not to stereotype whole groups based on your experiences with individuals. And vice versa. 

If your story had of ended, with you becoming pals, and when he introduced you to his family, you ended up marrying his sister, I would have cried.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â